Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Frequent user February 2024 Ontario

Help, mixed families, can ceremony be non religious?

Jennifer, on June 22, 2018 at 10:28 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 18
I am an atheist from mixed parents. My mother is a Muslim in a mixed family so Muslim and Christian weddings both while my Dad is an atheist from a Mexican-American Catholic family. My groom is Italian from a Catholic family but he isnt really into it anymore he says. I'm stressed about what kind of ceremony to do. I've only ever been to religious ceremonies and absolutely do not want religion in mine. He's ok with that but we have no idea what that's supposed to look like. Has anyone here done a ceremony with no religiousness to it?? What's it like and did you offend your more religious families by doing so?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Ely, on May 8, 2022 at 03:03
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can totally do that! Made it a lot more personal.

• Sapna
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Sapna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we want to do - have a friend perform the ceremony and have an officiant present just to make it legal...

• Sapna
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Sapna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm an atheist (originally hindu) and my fiancee is a non-practicing catholic, she still believes in God, just doesn't do the whole church thing. We are planning on a civil ceremony at a barn - our friend will "officiate" for us - do most of the ceremony, and we will have a registered officiant be present for the legal stuff.

There's a chapel on-site next to the barn. My fiancee has asked if I would spend a few minutes with her in there before the wedding. I am more than happy to oblige, as long as we don't have a religious ceremony itself.

However, we are incorporating some non-religious traditions. We're having a henna party for our close female relatives (more my fiancees idea than mine Smiley smile) and now I have to think of something Irish/Ukrainian to incorporate into the wedding. Any ideas?

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we're doing too.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If not religious, I would opt to have some traditional things within your culture(s) instead. Either with the Ceremony or Reception or both
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and my fiancee are doing a civil wedding with no rigorous stuff involved. He's an atheist and I'm a deist. I would have liked to do a traditional aboriginal wedding bit it wasn't possible. Otherwise my mom is religious and wanted me to have a religious ceremony but we don't want to.

The wedding is for you. So it's not about pleasing others. Go with what makes you and your fiancee happy.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I should also mention that all of our families were very supportive of our decision. I looked up an officiant in my town and called her. She talked us through everything about the ceremony and is continuously working with us for things like vows, perosnalization of the ceremony, and just to see if we have any questions. She has been incredible, and I'm so happy that we decided to go with her rather than worrying about our families happiness over our own!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both grew up in the church part time. Our grandparents are all very religious, our parents go on holidays, and we go on occasion when we are asked to. At first we thought we had to get married in a church, despite not wanting to in order to please our families. We then realised that our own feelings about OUR day are important too, and decided not to have a church ceremony.

We ar enow having a very short beach ceremony to suit our personalities and our relationship!
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we did, and that's also what we paid.

We're not religious in the least, so it was the best option for us.

Our officiant was great!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right? I started looking into some of the private Officiant companies in Vancouver... $300+ for a 30 minute ceremony... WHAT?! Some even like, $600-$800.... Mine, with travel, is going to be $110.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m doing this too! I don’t know what Ontario offers and if there’s anything similar but I would try the gov of Ontario site and see if they have people. I’m personally a huge fan of these $75 officiants. I couldn’t see myself spending loads of money for a 20 minute ceremony!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh you'll have no problems! Very easy to do! Actually easier in some cases!

I would recommend finding a venue that allows a ceremony area too (to keep the ceremony out of a church) or you can do an outdoor ceremony!

Your officiant if you can find a family member or friend to be one for you and preform your ceremony that is also another easy way to keep non-religious!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is the most common kind of wedding nowadays Smiley tongue Definitely shouldn't have to worry about offending too many people. We too will be hiring an officiant to conduct the ceremony with no mention of religion. Just a few things about "to have and to hold and in sickness and in health" but not the "swear to God" part. - Of course you may get a couple people that get offended; I will have my Baba (Ukrainian grandma) telling me that I should have gotten married in a church. This comes with anything you do - the negative and "should have's".

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's called a Civil Ceremony (pretty sure), when it's not religious... meaning it's for law/legal purposes only.

That's what we are doing. Neither of us are religious. So we are hiring an Officiant, we found through the government website. It's only $75 (plus travel expenses), and they will pretty much say whatever you want them to. They usually will not perform any religious items though, as they are non-denominational.

You need to do what you are comfortable with. If you don't have a priest or minister, and aren't getting married in a church, you can focus on making the ceremony about the two of you, and make it what you want.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The main difference I find between the two are the length of time. Religious ceremonies often take over an hour where is non-religious ceremonies take 15 minutes. I have been to plenty of both. We are doing a non-religious quick ceremony. I really truly think you guys should stick to your beliefs, And go with a non-religious ceremony if that’s what you want. In weddings he can’t make everyone happy, so you need to do what’s best for you guys. Will someone get offended? Probably LOL but that’s OK.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a non-denominational ceremony, so there will be no prayers or readings, instead we have chosen poems. In my opinion your ceremony should reflect who you are as a couple, so if neither of you practice a religion then you don't need to have a religious ceremony.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what we plan on doing. I'm a non-practising Protestant and my FH is a non-practising Mennonite. Most of his family is non-practising as well as my mom's Protestant side. My dad's Catholic (again non-practising) but most of my family on his side is practising Catholics. I was worried about offending them but, they all know I'm not practising and that I'm planning on doing a non-denominational ceremony, where it will be about us and our commitment to each other. It'll be on the shorter side (less than half an hour) as well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally have a non-religious ceremony. There are plenty of officiants who will perform non-denominational ceremonies or inter-faith ceremonies. My husband and I are atheist/agnostic and we had a non-religious ceremony. We actually had a friend perform it and just had an officiant attend to make it all legal. He wrote some beautiful things for the ceremony about how many things had to come together for all of us to be there in that moment, we said our own vows and then he proclaimed us. It probably took like 20 minutes all said and done. It was really lovely! No one in either of our families is particularly religious so we weren't offending anyone. I think if your family knows that these are your beliefs then they shouldn't be offended if you choose to have a non-religious ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics