Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amysousa
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

Help/advice? Toronto outdoor ceremony

amysousa, on June 29, 2020 at 12:45 Posted in Ontario 0 9

Hello!

Our Toronto wedding was supposed to be early May, but we rescheduled to September 4th as that was the latest date the hotel was offering at the time. Now that it's pretty much July, the hotel has surprisingly offered us a full refund if we want to cancel rather than reschedule again.

We wanted to do just the ceremony with 25 people (as restrictions would allow for 30 people) and nothing else, but the hotel has quoted us a ridiculous amount of money (I'm talking thousands) to use a room for under 30 minutes. We know outdoor ceremonies are allowed, but we just learned that Toronto isn't issuing permits to do a ceremony in parks right now. Does anyone know how it's possible to do a ceremony only (literally 30 minutes max for the ceremony itself) in Toronto without the need for a permit? Are there any venues that allow outdoor ceremony only for under 1500?

I guess another question would be if anyone has (or knows someone who has) a large backyard that we will pay to use for a stand-up ceremony and pictures only? All we want to do is get legally married with our close family and closest friends present and then have some time to take photos in the same place.

Hopefully someone has some insight!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 2, 2020 at 15:42
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Community centers are a great source for the price you can afford to have 30 guests seated for the ceremony going straight into reception later. They may be helpful to accommodate your date if it is a possible solution. Golf courses may be another choice to consider if they will accept your request.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you go with the GuildInn, make sure they clean their aisle runner if there's another wedding ceremony before yours. Lots of reviews suggesting it was a problem for them on the day of. And definitely ensure covid related provisions are added in the contract so any funds deposited can be used towards rebookings without penalty. Too many news reports of them being money first.

$1500 would also be in range for many golf courses so I'd check with them first.

Good luck!
  • amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't even think about restaurants! This is definitely a great option if the capacity would work for 25 people (and if it'd be allowed to be catered it'd be even better!). Thank you Smiley smile

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! I'd imagine if they have availability and they're open that they'd do something for a ceremony only!

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would start looking into restaurants with outdoor spaces! I live in the KW area and I saw quite a few are offering small wedding packages to have the ceremony on-site. You could probably even use their catering to do a little reception after if you wanted. Just an option.

• Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d definitely check with golf courses like Hank suggested. We are getting married at Pheasant Run Golf Course in Newmarket. We’ve postponed until next year, but when we were signing our contract the price for the ceremony was $1500 (this was 2 years ago now so not sure if it’s changed). It is a beautiful outdoor gazebo space. Maybe they would be open to doing just the ceremony? Doesn’t hurt to call around! Good luck!
  • amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for you response, Hank! I didn't realize the Guild Inn was offering small ceremony packages. I've always loved the pictures I've seen from there and the price is right so that might be a good option for us!

We're back in discussion with the hotel (my aunt works there and the new person handling wedding stuff didn't realize the relation) so there's a chance the price might be a lot better for us, but they aren't open yet so we definitely still need backup plans and this was very helpful! I also didn't think about gold courses so we'll look into that as well.

Thank you so much!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Amy, glad that you're allowed a refund. At least you can put that deposit towards your ceremony, your future reception if you choose to have one, or your savings.

Have you tried golf courses? Lots in the GTA that can probably run a one hour ceremony for you at your budget.

Based on your budget, you can also try the Guild Inn in Scarborough. I normally wouldn't recommend them due to how they've been treating other wedding couples during covid but their ceremony package was listed at $1250+tax for their outdoor gazebo.

I also recommended churches to Clauds if you're not absolutely set on outdoors as they allow 30% but I can imagine demand is high for such spaces due to many people wanting to go back to religious gatherings during these times.

• Clauds
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Clauds ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the exact same situation as you. Hopefully we both get some advice/insight!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics