Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie November 2020 Ontario

Help?!

Miranda, on August 11, 2019 at 21:45 Posted in Before the wedding 0 15
How do you word on your wedding invitations that children aren't welcome? We want to phrase it as nicely as possible.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 16:23
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whatever you decide make sure its clear to people!

• Megan
    Curious November 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I did! "We've reserved two seats in your honour."
    For two reasons: 1) to let adults know that kids aren't invited, and 2) to let singles know they can bring a date if they prefer. We also added "No. of adults attending ____" so that the no kids part is even clearer + singles can decide they want to party solo.

• M
    Newbie November 2020 Ontario
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all! This is how we've decided to word no children allowed on our invites;

"We would like for everyone, including parents, to enjoy our day with us, we have chosen for our wedding day to be an adult only occasion. We hope this advance notice means you are still able to share our big day and will enjoy having the evening off!"

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly...we didn't say anything. We addressed the invitations just to the parents, and on the RSVP we had a maximum of 2. We did online RSVPs where they had to choose the # attending, and we were able to set the max # for each guest.

We haven't had any issues. We figured if anybody asked, we would just tell them that its an adult only function. Most people will understand. As it turns out, most parents we know want the night off lol.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did similar wording to Tori's and it went fine

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course not! use it all if you want!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this wording! We wanted to go the "date night" sell route as well AND it is largely due to limited space we are having adults only -- do you mind if I borrow this for inspiration?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is the back of my invitation -

Help?! 1

Because to be honest - I don't wanna worry about watching my words and swearing all night... especially after I've had a few

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly what we did. Just addressed it to the adults, and our RSVP cards said “ adults only ceremony and reception” right on them. We wanted to be super clear because some family members need a bit more bluntly lol
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can also include a line on the RSVP that says, "we've reserved ___ seats in your honour". If it's a family of 5 and you've only reserved 2 seats for them, the message will be clear without having to explicitly state on the invite that it's adults only. I'm putting the blurb about it being an adult event on our website rather than the invites.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All the suggestions so far are wonderful...Another thing to do is to put it on the details card (if you are having one to send with the invites) or on your wedding website.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Issuing the invitation only to the adults ("Mr and Mrs Jones") should be enough for most people. As a parent, I would never assume my children are invited just because I am.
    You can also include a line about it being an adult only reception as suggested if you really want to cover your bases.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We included reception cards with our invites that said this:

We adore your children, but have limited space. Please make it a date night!

We want everyone to be able to relax and have a great time - hopefully with this notice you will still be able to join in our special day.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can be simple and direct, something like “please join us for an adult only reception”.

You can do something also like “although we love your little ones, this is an adult only event”.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics