Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

Have you decided on your married name?

Sinéad, on December 9, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in Just married 0 23

To take your spouse’s last name or keep your own - it’s actually not that simple of a question! You can also hyphenate or choose a new name together, and you’ll still need to figure out what to do with your maiden and middle names! Depending on your decision there could be a lot of paperwork in your future, so you’ll want to figure it out quickly.

Have you decided what your married name will be? Was it a tough decision, or an easy one?

Have you decided on your married name? 1

Photo by Note Photography in Vancouver, BC

Next Question: Have you figured out where you’ll live?

Back to the Beginning: Are you ready to say 'I do'?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on January 8, 2020 at 14:31
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was an easy decision to take his last name.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure yet, I've been dead set on changing my name since I was little but I'm not sure if I should just hyphenate instead. His last name is Keegel, mine is Weston.... dilemma 🤦‍♀️
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes ill be changing my name!!

• Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won’t be taking his last name. I like my name and I have a few credentials under it, and truly I just wanted to keep mine. When we have kids my last name will be their middle name
  • Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking his last name Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to be hyphenating. I don't want to change my last name completely, I'm attached to it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was a debate on which way it was going to be as his or my name. He decided that my name would be the best to be decided. He changed his name to my family name after marriage.

• Michelle
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I earned my Veterinary degree and have been practicing for 15 years under my maiden name. So I will be keeping it professionally but I will assume my husband’s name in my private life.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so on the fence about this!
    My full name is really long, and my middle name is already hyphenated so I don't want to hyphenate my last name.

Part of me wants to keep my maiden name, but if we have kids I want to have the same name as them. He and I have discussed it and he doesn't want to change or hyphenate his name either! I've got about ten months to figure it out.
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Taking his last name for sure.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Easy - I'm assuming is last name.

Here is MB we have a few options so I will be putting my current last name (can't change it until we get the marriage certificate which takes a few months..) as a second middle name and taking his last name Smiley laugh

I've already changed as many things as I legally can though Smiley tongue

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep. I’m taking her name. I was never too attached to my own
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's been a really hard decision but I decided to take FH's name. I initially wanted to keep or at least hyphenate my name since I'm working on publishing my MA thesis under that name but hyphenating it becomes a huge mouthful. So I might change it but keep using my maiden name in professional settings. We'll see.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Easy peasy - i will be taking his name
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking his last name. This was further cemented by the fact that my brother's girlfriend has the same name as me (different spelling though) meaning if they get married and she changes her name and I don't we'd audibly have the same full name.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taken my FH name. This will not be a eay road. In quebec you can not take your husbands last name. But we are both first nations and follow federal law. So I will have to get legally married in Ontario and submit paper work to federal department. The thing is we are all set to get married in Wakefeild, Quebec. We found on officiant who works with natives and she will preform the marriage in ontario and handle the paperwork. Then we will do a walk though ceramony the day of the wedding.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not changing my last name, but happy to assume his whenever it comes out.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was a little tough for me - but I decided to take his last name, and my maiden name is now my second middle name. Was considering not changing it on a professional level, but ended up changing it both personally and professionally and it wasn't as complicated as I thought (so far). I totally understand and respect any option for the couples - it's definitely a personal choice that isn't a simple thing to decide. For me, I just feel more "married" with us sharing a last name.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be taking his name. I have to renew my passport before we leave for our wedding so that will be the first shred of paperwork to change!
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was on the fence for a little bit because I have a couple of credits established in my maiden name, but I've decided that I want to take his last name and continue using my maiden name on deal memos haha.

I'm going to have to get used to people spelling and pronouncing my new last name wrong though

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't be taking his name. If we wanted kids then I would have, just to make things simpler.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll take my FH's name. I'm not attached to my maiden name.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, i'll be taking my FH's name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics