Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

Have you decided how to divide household expenses?

Cliodhna, on December 9, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 23

It’s definitely not the most romantic topic, however, finances are important to discuss and deserve a spot on your wedding planning checklist!

Have you and your fiancé(e) decided how to divide household expenses?

Have you decided how to divide household expenses? 1

Photo by Jesseka Melanie Photography in Markham, Ontario

Next Question: Have you bought your dress?

Back to the Beginning: Are you ready to say "I do"?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Stefanie, on February 20, 2020 at 16:05
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been living in our house for years now and are currently building a new one for our family. We have a joint account which makes life a million times easier, especially with kids and all of the bills.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I have been living together for like 5 years so we've figured that out. Right now we're renting so my fiancé pays the rent on the apartment & I pay for the utilities, internet & groceries. It's pretty much evenly split.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a joint account so everything is shared.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If by then we're making the same amount or close enough, it'll be half half. If not, whoever makes more pays like 60 or 70% depending on how much of a difference it is. Whatever we make pools together as it is so it's all the same budget anyway
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We split a couple things 50/50 but he makes a lot more than i do so he will buy costco items, household items, dinners etc.

• K
    Curious February 2022 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been living together for almost 4 years now, at first we split every bill 50/50, then he paid a little more because he was making more, now we make about the same and it has just kind of become he pays rent because he is bad at remembering due dates and would constantly be late on his portion before (which drove me nuts) and, I pay for cat & dog food, the car payment, insurance, groceries, internet, cell phone etc. it works out pretty close to even.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a house, 2 cars, 2 kids, so yeah, although there have been a lot of changes. I used to be the sole income earner and he was home with the kids. We thought that was the long term situation, however now we've swapped positions. But everything we have is shared so it doesn't matter who paid the bill.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've been living together for five or so more years. Like a good deal of the previous posters, We've got this sorted out a while back

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Living together is great yet sometimes tough on the financial aspect on some part. The household expenses were set that I took over most of it as husband doesn't put much into it as should be and what he can due to his ways of spending more than saving.

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've been living together for 5 years, we already have this all sorted out. We don't make the same amount so everything is divided based on who makes more and it is a fair split in the sense that the same % of our income goes to paying the bills

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We split everything evenly. Groceries, mortgage, insurance everything gets split!

One exception with the wedding is I'm 100% paying for my dress and he is doing the same for his shoes and suit. It didn't feel right to divide a purchase that he didn't have a lot of say in.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh ya - we already own a house and car together so we got that out of the way asap. What's his is mine and what's mine is his Smiley smile

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve figured it out having lived together now for quite some time.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had it figured out while we were renting but now we're living with his parents while we save for a house. So we'll have to reassess when that happens.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve been living together for 5 years, so we figured that out long ago!
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We split everything 50/50. Although he makes more then me.

I think its fair. I like having my own bank account and cards to spend as I please.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided a little bit ago to pool all of our money into one joint account so in a sense we both pay for all bills.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sure have! Still maintain individual accounts for now until we buy a house together, but we split it based on our income levels and save in our way for the same goals.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have maintained our individual accounts but added joint chequing/savings/credit that we use for our household and common expenses. We split that relatively 50/50, but FH is working overtime to pay off some more of the wedding.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Household expenses comes first and foremost for FH and I. While we're excited to get married, having a home that we're happy with is more important since we'll be there for years to come. But we also have family assisting with wedding expenses which helps a lot, both in monetary means and stress!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've always split our bills evenly, some utilities are in my name and some are in his, but we always e-transfer each other our halves of the bills.

We won't be opening a joint bank account either, I don't want to feel like I'm spending his money when I'm shopping for myself or for home decor so I'd rather keep our bank accounts separate

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have lived together for years now. Wedding is more the formality of our relationship. We will continue to have joint accounts
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're just going to have one account and the expenses will be paid from there. It's easier.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics