Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andie
Expert May 2019 Ontario

Has anyone had Bridesmen?

Andie, on March 18, 2018 at 08:43 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 29
So my wedding is still quite a ways away (411 days) but I’m getting worried/anxious because I’ve decided to have bridesmen instead of women (I’ve always been friends with guys instead of gals). I can’t find any info about other weddings that have done this and I don’t like not having a “guide” so to speak. Have any of you ladies done this and do you have any tips about having an unconventional wedding party?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Andie, on March 22, 2018 at 12:26
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no!! I’m definitely going to follow your lead and get proofreaders for the important stuff!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, yeah - I have three people I send things to for proof reading before doing anything for this wedding, because I had to reorder my invitations three times because I was too excited and didn't pay enough attention!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No one pointed it out! And actually I didn’t realize until you said something and I swear I read it over **** times, lol! I think they know me well enough to realize my spelling/grammar/proofreading goes out the door when I’m excited. At least this time it’s pretty decipherable Smiley tongue
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Super cute - but I have to ask, has anyone pointed out the word that seems to be missing in your poem?

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this!!!! Yes!!!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice! I love hearing about everyone’s parties, makes me not so nervous!
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My "Maid of Honour" is a man and my fiance's "Best Man" is a woman. It's your wedding and you can do what you want! You should have whoever you want standing with you, no matter what!

I would suggest discussing with your party and figuring out what they're comfortable with in terms of roles (for example, going to either the bachelor or bachelorette party - we're letting ours go to whichever one they want, but they only get to go to one of them!).

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a man as our flower girl, our friend had a female best man, and my cousin had a man of honour. It's not about genders it's about who is important in your life and who will be there for you on your wedding day and for everything leading up to it Smiley smile
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I’m sure yours are super cute as well!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are so cute!! you did those yourself? it looks like alot of effort was put into them. I would post mine, but one of my best gals is actually on this site frequently and recently engaged too so i don't want to spoil anything (haha). Your bridal party sounds fun, I wish i had more guy friends like you.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, so I’ve got 4 bridesmen and my niece is my MOH, it’s different but I honestly can’t think of anyone better to stand beside me. I wish I would’ve waited until my fiancé was ready like you are, I asked my buddies a month ago and he is still waiting for another month to ask... the wait is killing me, lol. I did my own “proposals” so they’re probably not as great as yours!

Has anyone had Bridesmen? 1
  • Stacey
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope so! I already have all the "proposals" ready to go. My coworker in the graphic designing department really used her magic and helped me create the gifts. But I think it would be fair to wait until my fiancee is ready to ask his buddies so its all around the same time. Did you end up going with a brideman for your wedding?

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Asking was so much fun! They all kind of new it was coming but they loved it!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The “best ma’am” made me laugh out loud, I love it! And yes, I look forward to venting to them and calling me out when I become bridezilla!
  • Stacey
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning on having a bridesman and i am getting SO excited to "ask". I have already talked to my fiancee and he is okay with the idea. It's just planning out who will walk down the isle with. I am defiantly going to be having an unconventional wedding, but at the end of the day this is YOUR day and if having them by your side makes you happen then do it!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a Bridesman, and my fiancé has a Best Ma'am! Smiley smile

My bridesman will get ready with the gents in the AM (go for a hot shave, get dressed), but has been my go-to person for venting about wedding planning stuff. He listens without getting emotional, and is mostly in charge of making sure I don't get too stressed!

Have who you want standing up with you! Guy, girl, dog, whatever!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I had done this but I don't think any of my guy friends would have gone for this lol Honestly, I think it'll be fantastic! Guys seem to be more helpful than some girls lol.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s interesting! Thanks for sharing, it makes me feel less nervous hearing about everyone’s experiences
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our friend had a groomslady at his wedding. She wore a suite like the guys did with some really awesome heels. I think you just have to find what you guys are comfortable with and then just treat them like you would any other wedding party member.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my bridesmaids boyfriends was a Man of Honour at her friends wedding. He got ready with the boys still but still did "bridesmaid things such as dress shopping, wedding shower. Just find what the guys are comfortable doing and have them do it. Not much different then the girls except you'll have to decide if all them men including the groomsmen will all wear the same suit or if they will be different.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We probably won’t do the wedding party dance as most of the party is single and we want our wedding party to have the least stressful/awkward day as possible. My FH has 5 guys, and I have my MOH and four guys (and only two people have SO) so we just want to avoid it. I’m glad to hear that other brides are doing the “bridesman” thing too though!
  • Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having a bridesman in my party. There's no real guide to what to do - it's really whatever works for you and them. He won't need to get make up or hair done on the day and he'll be wearing the same suits as the groomsmen. He'll also have a boutonniere instead of a bouquet.

We have 3 on my side and 2 on the groom's, so for the recessional, he and a bridesmaid will walk out with one of the groomsmen so no one walks out alone. Are you having them join you in the bridal waltz? Will they dance with their bridal party partner (if they're okay with that) or do they get to choose who they dance with?

• Michelle
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend had 3 bridesmaids and 2 bridesmen and it was great!! Smiley smile they matched her husbands groomsmen but nothing is stopping you from having them have different colour scheme then your partners bridal party either. It makes it unique.

Good for you for doing what you want and having the people who support you the most at your side on you and your partners big day!!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the article, it will be really helpful!!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m nervous about that too! I’ll have my MOH (my 10-yo niece) and four guys standing beside me... weird but it’s truly who I want to be beside me! Thanks for the website!!
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m thinking of having one as well. He said he would like to attend, but since he lives far away I’m not 100% sure if he will make it.

I did find this website when I googled bridesmen . https://www.brides.com/story/thinking-about-bridesman-or-groomsmaid-wedding-party
    If my bridesman does make it I would either have him walk down with one of my bridesmaids as I have 4 and my Fiancé only currently had 3 groomsmen. Or either he would walk down with my fiancé’s sister and she would be a groomsmaid I guess.

I’m a little nervous about what people may think it not being traditional, but he has been one of my closest friends for the past few years and he’s important to me. In the end it’s my day and I want whoever is standing up with me to be those that have been there for me to celebrate with us. Good luck with your planning and remember what is most important to you.

• Jennifer
    Beginner July 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think its kind of unique ,bridesmen instead of gals, which i could do that will be so cool, wiring wire has some tips on that , dont know if you have seen it so here's a link to the article.
    https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-ideas/bridesman-groomswoman-rules
    I hope did can help

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics