Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Beginner June 2019 Ontario

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday.

Kate, on June 11, 2019 at 12:26 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

I am sooooo sad!!! I am obsessively checking the forecast to see what the weather holds and it looks like a big system is coming in. I cant help but feel totally upet about this. My hair will be down and get all messed up, my dress all dirty, photos will look all grey, and generally rain makes me sad! Smiley sad

What should I do? Has anyone here had a rainy wedding before?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on June 15, 2019 at 13:41
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I looked at the weather everyday for the two weeks before my wedding. It changed every day. The day of my wedding, it rained when I was driving to my hair appt. It stopped by the time I got to my getting ready location. It was sunny by noon when we had to make the call if the ceremony was inside or outside. We decided outside.
    We did a “first touch” and prayer before the ceremony. Right as that finished, we heard a clap of thunder. Looked outside, there was a giant storm cloud. We decided to start a few minutes early to try to beat the rain. Right before I walked down the aisle, it started to rain. We said our vows in the rain. The venue coordinator came rushing outside with a large patio umbrella to try and keep me dry. My bridesmaids all abandoned their lineup and huddled under the umbrella. The wind picked up, blew the marriage licence blew away (thankfully into the crowd!) and I noticed a few people leave their seats to try to get out of the rain. So I told our officiant to move it inside. So, we finished the ceremony on the dance floor, with the buffet table partially set up behind us. By the time the ceremony was over, it was sunny again. So we took pictures outside. There were puddles which made for some cool reflection shots. Once our bridal party left the photo location, it started raining again. So we went back to our venue and had pictures taken inside. It stopped raining shortly after we got back and the rest of the evening was sunny!
    We didn’t let the rain ruin our day. I had been thinking of my wedding day since I was a little girl, and was so disappointed every time I saw that it was supposed to rain on our wedding. But, when the day came, all I could focus on was the fact that I was marrying the best guy ever, I had friends and family who I hadn’t seen in awhile travel from different provinces to celebrate with me. The weather, the fact that my curls disappeared by the ceremony and that some makeup rubbed off my face didn’t sour my attitude. It was still an amazing day. I was married, which was the goal of the day, and I got to celebrate with friends and family. Everyone was just as surprised as I was that I was not disappointed with how things turned out.
    All I can advise you, from my experience, focus on the person you are marrying and those who are celebrating with you. Everything else is minor. The weather, or anything else that doesn’t go according to plan, will only affect your mood if you let it. Focus on the positives of the day, not the negatives.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re in Ontario (at least the GTA) it’s supposed to be sunny now with only a chance of rain! Fingers crossed! It’ll be an amazing day, rain or shine.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

TBH I woke up on our wedding day and it was thunderstorming, I was got really discouraged because the weather forecast called for scattered showers for the whole day!

throughout us getting ready it was on and off raining. When it came time to set up the ceremony though it was clear, no clouds in the sky so we had an outdoor ceremony. It worked out that it didn't start raining again till we were almost done pictures. even then it rained for the reception and by the time dinner was done and the bar was open it had cleared again and it was a beautiful day so we had people sitting out on the deck and got even more pictures later in the evening.

Don't let the rain discourage you, just be prepared with a back up plan for your photos if it rains and you can't get a lot of outside ones.

Good luck!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's nothing you can do. Just try to make the best of it. At the end of the day whats important is you're marrying the person you love.

The photos will be beautiful no matter what. Cloudy days provide the best natural lighting.

Get cute umbrellas to protect your hair. Do what you can to keep your dress out of the dirt.

You wont be the first or the last wedding that has rain, and you'll make it work.

• Machaila
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Machaila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got married June 1st if this year and it rained most of the afternoon other than for about 20 min so we were able to have our ceremony outside. I had someone carry my dress so it wasn’t touching the ground, and we had a bunch of large umbrellas to help out with hair! If there are any pavilions nearby or shelter or somesort use them! The attached photo is my bridesmaids at the end of the photos under a pavilion that look untouched🙂

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 1
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents had a rained out wedding - of course this was back in the 80's so there was no such thing as photo shop at that time...

Overall, I don't think it would be the end of the world - I've seen tons of great wedding pictures with cloudy skies and rainy weather:

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 2

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 3

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 4

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dont worry! Make the best of it! Hair might get a little frizzy but you cant let that ruin the day! Just hang back when it rains a lot and go out for some photos when its lighter!
    Let me tell you now... your dress will be FILTHY by the end of the day rain or shine... my dress is so gross now I dont even want to look at it... I dont even want to think about the things I mopped up hahaha!! Dresses can be cleaned! Hair can be sprayed! Heck sunny skies can be photoshopped in if your photographer is good so dont worry!!!

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 5

Guys....I think it might rain on my wedding on Saturday. 6
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed that the rain stays away! I agree with everyone about the clear umbrellas and having a back up plan. Ultimately the weather is the weather and you have to make the most if it. Its ok to feel bummed out about it though. Also, the forecast is hugely unreliable so it might be just fine the day of!

• Carly
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These umbrellas can also make for great photos! A few years ago my sisters go married the weekend after thanksgiving and there was a huge storm the day of her wedding it was raining and windy. She had these umbrellas and with them she got some amazing pictures.

Hopefully the weather holds out though!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When you get your hair done, your hairstylist will probably spray it when it's done, which will help it look great all day, even with rain!

As for photos, either plan a back-up area indoors and/or buy clear umbrellas and embrace the rain! Your photographer will be able to work with what ever, and make your photos look not as grey as it actually was!

As for your dress, it'll get a little dirty, even without any rain, if it goes outside. You might want to look into getting something to go under your dress (i.e. clear recycling bags) when you are taking photos to minimize dirt and have someone help hold the train as you walk.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The local dollar stores where I am have clear umbrellas.. maybe see if yours does too and grab some of those?

Be hopeful.. weather forecasts can change drastically in a couple days.

And if not... well it is supposed to be good luck, and I have seen some beautiful wedding photos on a rainy day.

Just when you are walking from one place to another try to lift your dress as much as possible.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is your venue inside or outside? I would plan for backup place for photo's, I would also see about talking to your hairstylist/makup about timeline and if they are able to stick around till after photo's if not too much money. Hopefully, if it does rain there are moments where sun comes out nice and bright and you can get photo's during this time. I would make sure to lift dress up lots when walking outside to different venues. I would talk to your photographer as well about idea's for different places and what they say about the rain.

Fingers crossed it doesn't for you! Def get why you feel that way!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics