Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

Guest list for destination wedding..help

Jillian, on February 20, 2018 at 13:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hey all,

Wondering on some advice.
We are from Saskatchewan and plan to get married in Niagara Falls in 2020.
If we invite all our family and friends it would be 150 guests. I know only 60-70 will come. Do I still send the invites? Most of the venues have min and max numbers. I dont know how to plan for a venue and not have to pay for the amount I am short. Or book a venue and have more people than expected rsvp!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Bethany, on February 23, 2018 at 23:59
  • B
    Newbie January 2019 Yukon Territory
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Contact people and tell them of your plans and ask if it's something they are interested in attending. Let them know you're asking so early to get a general idea of how many people might show in order to pic an appropriately sized venue.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So, we invited all people we wanted to invite, knowing that some of them cannot make it. You don’t have to finalize the numbers for most venues up to 2-3 weeks before the wedding, which gives ample time for RSVP’s.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Completely agree with this.
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our biggest problem is the venues are either +100 or below 100. So if we booked one for +100 and ended up falling short, we eat those costs. If we go for below 100 and then more than 100 ppl rsvp then what! Smiley tongue

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want to invite all 150, then go for it! Let your guests decide for themselves whether or not they will travel.

I'd definitely keep your "projected attendance" number in mind as well though, and pick a venue whose minimum you feel confident you can hit!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We sent our Save the Dates 10 months in advance and will be sending the invites about 3 months ahead.

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How far ahead did you or will you be sending save the dates and your invites? I haven't talked to or seen some of my aunts/uncles/cousins in over 5+ years, but then my mom thinks it is rude to not invite them. Its tough because the venues in the Falls are around $200/person! By the time we send save the dates and invites we will have to have our venue reserved with our deposit.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in a similar situation. My family is all from Ontario and we live in Alberta. I didn't expect them to come but sent save the dates anyway. And, some of them are coming. So, I would suggest getting an idea of who might be interested. It doesn't mean they actually have to go, but might give you a better idea of how many to plan for. Because, you never know who is interested.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would send out an email or heads up to see how many ppl will actually be able to make it or are interested. My FH's friend sent out Save the Dates for his wedding in the Dominican about 10 months in advance to get an idea for numbers. In the end the numbers were not high enough so they will have a local wedding in Abbotsford BC. That way it gives you a generic idea of how many ppl will be there and when you look for a venue I look for something around that range give or take 10 ppl more or less, before you commit and find your numbers too high or too less for the venue you chose.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics