Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Geneviève
VIP September 2020 Ontario

Getting Time Off

Geneviève, on March 6, 2020 at 13:01 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12
I just submitted my vacation request for my shower and Wedding/honeymoon. Everything is sinking in!
At my workplace, we have an application window for the summer and Christmas because of the volume of vacation requests. I let HR know that it’s for my wedding, but I’m still panicking!
How did you handle asking time off from your work?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Francesca, on March 12, 2020 at 08:16
  • Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I work at a college and we have a staff count about 16 people. My honeymoon will be at the busiest time of the school year but I let them know over a year in advance that I will be gone for 2.5 weeks.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I work at a very small company so I'm not too worried about it. Though I'm planning on mentioning it ridiculously early because last October we were in the middle of shooting a show and it's looking like season two might fall in October this year. I want to give my boss a heads up to bring in an extra person since I'm planning on taking two weeks off and I don't want the extra stress of 14 hour days before my wedding

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me and my DH we just told our managers - hey, our wedding is from ___ to ___ and we won't be at work... so... whether we get the time or not we won't be able to make it in... It's really more of a heads up than a request to be honest. All I have to do at my work is make sure I have somebody to cover for me and they can't say no since I was the first in my department to ask for it off.

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I work at my wedding venue so time off was super easy. My boss also wanted to give me an extra week because I didn’t take vacation in 2019 but we have so many weddings this year I don’t want to miss them all. My partner had to go through the typical approval process for timeline ( he’s not currently working but might be starting something new soon so that will SUCK since our wedding is May - he’s prepared to have to take time off without pay). A friend of mine got married in 2015 while she was still finishing her final semester at college. Her professor would not allow her to take her midterm early so she had to escalate things to the program coordinator. That was such a nightmare for her.
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our vacation for the summer is due May 1st. At our last staff meeting in Janaury my boss is explaining all this and then says "no one can have the week of July 5th off." I immediately look at my other boss sitting next to me because I had just discussed my honeymoon plans with her that week and shes like "you need to tell him now." Ugh in front of everyone? I dont want to make this into a big thing. She insists so I awkwardly raise my hand "um sorry, I'm uh, getting married and on my honeymoon that week...Sorry. I was waiting to finalize all the details and was planning to hand my vacation request in next week." My boss okay'd the time off but it sounds like any other vacation time I want might not be honoured because it isnt fair to my other co workers which is frustrating because I didnt take any vacation last year but at least I get my wedding off 😅

My boss I'm pretty sure is getting married around the same time as me; I think he is actually on his honeymoon at the same time which is why he originally said no one else could be off that week.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow do we all work in law firms? Lol
    Yeah I’ll definitely be reminding them closer to the end of the application period. I’m just stressing! Hopefully they’ll get back to me before the deadline (which is April 😫)
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I spoke with my HR a week ago and let her know i want to take extended time for my wedding and honeymoon and they approved me. I work in a law firm in Toronto. i would just go and speak with them to give them a heads up.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also do 2 vacation schedules with more senior staff getting what they want. However, it is a big place so even if there are too many people off I can go to my boss and I should have no trouble getting the time off. I hope anyway, because I booked the wedding based on a different schedule i had. I should be working on the weekend of my wedding now. Thank goodness it is February and should not be a problem.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The law firm I work for gives me a day off for the wedding! I'll use personal days or time off to take a few days before and after the wedding off. It's looking like our honeymoon won't be until 2021 so I'll worry about that vacation time later.

We have an early summer schedule for people booking full weeks off during the summer that is circulating now. Instead of first dibs, if someone who has never had the Canada Day week off wants it and so does someone who had those dates last year it goes to the person who has never taken those days. It's nice because then the same person can't snatch up all the best long weekend days unless no one else wants them.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't gone back to work yet for the season but I'll book it off as soon as I do. They're pretty chill about time off though and I only need a couple days off beforehand and maybe 3 or 4 afterwards so I'm not worried.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm the senior clerk in my office - so I typically get first dibs on vacation time in the summer over the other employees, which is nice.

I told my boss last August when my wedding/honeymoon was going to be though so they've known for almost a year when it is and they approved it back then. I'm not taking any days off leading up to the wedding, I'm just going to do a few half days.

I also have some odd days off here and then leading up to the wedding just to meet with vendors beforehand - can't wait to be off work for two weeks though oh my gosh!!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The time off culture at my work is pretty chill luckily! And we have an over industry average as well (slightly less pay but more time off programs) so it is encouraged to use it up! That being said, I was super nervous because I would be asking for 3 weeks + a couple extra days here and there, so I was not sure if there was a precedent for that amount of time or not. So I went to chat with my boss, nervous as heck, and when I finally got it out, all she said was "Ok no problem, just put it in my calendar so I know because I will forget". I wanted to repeat myself to make sure she heard correctly ha. Anyway, she was very supportive of any time off I need this year for the wedding and honeymoon. It is kind of a big deal, so I hope you have great success!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics