Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nicole
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Getting Married this Year? What are your reception plans?

Nicole, on July 13, 2020 at 00:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21
Just wanted to reach out and ask what people's reception plans may be for this year. We're getting married in October and have decided to go ahead and invite 50 people to our outdoor wedding (the current guidelines). From what I can tell, we're technically only allowed our 10 (social bubble) people at the reception. Is anyone else planning to figure something out, or is the general consensus having the reception next year?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Nicole, on July 20, 2020 at 16:14
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are great, thank you!
  • Alexandra
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've found zoom the easiest so far, we're just going to pay for one a one month subscription so we can have more than a hundred and it'll last beyond 40mins. One of our guests is going to be put in charge of the tablet (we bought a cheap tablet tripod off of Amazon and are going to figure out placement the day before so it's out of the way of the photographer but still has good sound/sightlines, and 5 mins before the ceremony he's going to admit anyone in the waiting room, then voila we're ready to rock and roll. Here's the link for the plates we found on amazon, they are super cute! https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081LR3X6J/?coliid=IGVYA5QQUCPV5&colid=38OB0PS5K0BUC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey, that's awesome! We're actually planning something quite similar with 50 people. I have been aiming to do charcuterie boards as well, and have been investigating into doing them on wooden circles placed in pie boxes for sanitation reasons. I should look into the wooden plates! Our tables are going to be set up by bubble and each will get their own selection of sandwiches/soup. I've been trying to decide where to livestream the ceremony, as there are several options that range in price and complicatedness. Considering ZOOM but not sure yet.
  • Alexandra
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With stage 3 happening in our area in Ontario we're hosting a small backyard ceremony/reception of 30 on our original wedding day of Sept 6. We're going to zoom the ceremony to the remainder of our 85 guests and invite anyone local to view our first dance which we're going to do in the circle of my fiances parents street/cul de sac. We're asking that anyone who drives/walks by wear a mask. We've essentially invited 3 different bubbles to our ceremony (they are all family), and are going to seat them together in the bubbles for the dinner. Each guest is being given a mini hand sanitizer, and we've ordered 15 masks in our wedding colors for guests who would like to wear them. We've also requested that if they've been in contact with anyone with COVID, or have any symptoms to stay at home. Each guest is going to get a mason jar to write their name on for drinks for the evening, and we aren't doing any shared bottles of liquor - just beer, wine and coolers/ciders. We've created really cute little individual charcuterie trays using these wooden disposable plates from amazon to make 'covid friendly' cocktail snacks, and dinner will be served by one person who will wear a mask while dishing up the bbq. Then in June we're hosting a real reception at our original venue with everyone (fingers crossed!)

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome! Glad you are able to find somewhere outside 😊
  • Leigh-Anne
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Leigh-Anne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The original plan was to rent a patio but the restaurant we wanted to book refused to get back to us. My fiancé’s friend just bought a house and they are nice enough to let us host our wedding there. Before they move in. It’s big enough to have two tables plus a head table.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We pushed our reception to next October, but my parents have suggested we have a small reception after the ceremony at their house with 20 or so people.

Everything is so dependant on what the world looks like in the fall that I'm a little cautious about making big plans.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There is an exemption for masks while you're eating but otherwise, all indoor businesses require staff and guests to wear masks unless you have a health condition. The business needs to also have a policy on how to serve non mask wearers.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is not true. Wording of the bylaw depends on the city you're in, but generally masks are mandatory for any indoor business. It's up to the business to implement a policy for non-mask service but they can be fined for allowing a no-mask free for all.
  • J
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am scared about the mask bylaw too! I can't imagine having a dinner reception and just my wedding in general with everyone wearing masks...

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really good to know! I’ll have to call my venue because they’re also a restaurant, but that’s a huge relief if that’s the case!
  • D
    Dolly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Masks are required for public spaces not private events or private spaces which an event hall is.
  • D
    Dolly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im Ontario it is now 100 outdoor 50 indoor but i think it will increase by sept. Ford said it can increase at anytime in stage 3.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of Ontario is opening back up to stage 3 Smiley smile I hope this is good news for you!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re on the fence still. We’re September 27 but our ceremony and reception are indoors and we have a mask bylaw where we’re hosting it. We also have to fly to Ontario for it and we may have to quarantine upon return home. Needless to say, we have a few things to consider still.
    We’re honestly considering eloping this year and postponing the party until next year.
  • J
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Nicole! I am in the same situation as you... We hope to get married the first weekend in October with our chosen 50 people, and cross our fingers that the number goes up. Stage 3 is supposed to be announced today! Smiley smile Either way, we are not going to postpone our wedding.

Thinking of you!!

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! We were considering something like that too! Seeing if a patio could be rented out. Guess we'll see in a few hours!
  • Allison
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing our ceremony for 50 and holding out hope social gatherings will be increased to at least 25 so we can at least have dinner with our parents, siblings and spouses, and best man and maid of honour. If it opens to 25 we will have a catered dinner at my mom’s house. If restaurants open, we plan to see if any are willing to accommodate a group of 50, so we can still dine in the same place if not at the same tables Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wait it out and cross your fingers that a social gatherings of 50 will be allowed, like how it is right now in BC. Best case scenario, you get to have a drink with each other, maybe a small bite. Worst case scenario, people can only stay for your ceremony and a select few can stick around further.

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank. I have already cancelled our reception hall and catering, and we are doing our ceremony outside in a relative's back yard. Just trying to figure out what/if we can do something for the reception part. Definitely a confusing and frustrating time!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Based on what I've been reading here, the general consensus is small ceremony now and full reception next year, or postpone the whole wedding altogether. You're technically allowed 50 people or more indoors for a ceremony as well as long as you're only using a max of 30% of the space's capacity but you would all have to wear masks. Yes, Ontario is restricting receptions to 10 at the moment.

There are a number of us who are set for later in the year (November onward) that are waiting to see what's going on with government regulations and so forth. Personally I asked my venue for a backup date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics