Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alycia
Expert March 2020 Ontario

Gap between wedding and honeymoon

Alycia, on January 29, 2020 at 22:17 Posted in Honeymoon 1 19

We’re getting married on a Saturday, our check in for our honeymoon isn’t until the following FRIDAY! SO, I’m not sure if I should take Sunday-Friday off, part of me of course wants to. As my own business owner this feels very irresponsible, but many people are telling me if I just go back to work and tattoo for a week I will pull myself out of the moment... I think they’re right, but I feel weird just laying around doing nothing.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for us to keep us busy? Or should I maybe take the first few days off and tattoo the days before we leave for the honeymoon? Am I crazy to feel guilty about taking those days off when I know I’m able to work.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Hayley, on February 11, 2020 at 23:43
  • Hayley
    Curious May 2021 British Columbia
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem at all! You're so welcome! Glad I could help Smiley smile
    Hope you have an amazing day (and honeymoon)
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like a perfect timeline! I think I will go with that! Smiley smile Thanks for the help!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s good to know, I sort of thought of that, but I wasn’t too sure.

I love the idea of taking it easy a few days at home before we leave!

• Hayley
    Curious May 2021 British Columbia
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you'll pull yourself out of the moment. If anything it will give you something to look forward to and keep you there. You can always do shorter hours take/ take a couple of clients each day if you don't want to take the whole time off. We're marrying on a Saturday and both back at work on Tuesday. Sharing photos and stories with friends and colleagues will keep you in the moment for sure.

Personally, I would do the Monday off, work Tuesday and Wednesday (either full or shorter days), then pack/ relax/ get excited on Thursday.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As somebody who got married on a Friday, and left for honeymoon on Sunday....I mean, I'm kinda torn....it was nice to just get the heck outta town right away...BUT that last week leading up to the wedding was INSANE. With family and friends coming to town, rental and decor items to pick up/drop off at florist/emergency dress fitting...and then the day after the wedding was even crazier! We had the brunch thing with family and the wedding party, had to drop off the rentals, have dinner with out of town family.

We did no start packing for our honeymoon until 10:30pm, and we left at 6am the next morning. Like...once we were gone it was all fine, but it was an absolute marathon, and it would have been nice to have relaxed at home for...a day? lol

I guess my point it you may be surprised at how busy you'll actually be, and a few days at home might be welcome.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s a good idea, I’ll only book fun clients too!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about a half week? go back for a day or two and tell EVERYONE about your wedding and then youre off on your honeymoon!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I'll do the same or only do Tues, Wed. I haven't decided, I'm sort of in the same boat. It's hard when you work for yourself you kinda don't have vacation time unless u just take it and don't get paid. And we're saving for the downpayment on a house. So every penny counts but I don't wanna regret not taking some time, you can always make more money but you can never get that time back is what I'm thinking.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I'll start by booking half days with only my favorite kind of pieces I like to work on so I'm always excited.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married on a Friday and I went back to work Monday and Tuesday, then we took the rest of the week and weekend to go up north (Our honeymoon wasn't until a month later)

If you can take the time off, just do it. You want to enjoy the moment.

Or if you don't want to take the full week, maybe see how many appointments are being made for you during that time and go from there.

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a Saturday and our honeymoon also won't be until the next Friday. I am going to go back to work Tues, Wed, Thurs simply because I don't have the vacation time. Oh well!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married about 18 hours away from where we live - got married in London, ON and live in Thunder Bay. So I was off the whole week before and a few days after before we left for our honeymoon. DH took less time beforehand (only a day or two), and we both took off 3 days before travelling for our honeymoon. It wasn't feasible for us to fly to Thunder Bay Sunday, work Monday-Wednesday to fly on Wednesday night to Miami.

We definitely took time afterwards to rest up and reflect on the day. I was busy the week before finishing up DIYs and driving to London so I'm glad I took time beforehand. We spent some time with some friends and family who either live in London, or didn't go home right away. I think if you can pull it off, it'd be good to be off work before the honeymoon.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can afford it then I say do it! I'm sure there are tons of things you can do and have a little mini-moon! Me and my DH got married on a Saturday, did a mini moon for just the Sunday-Wednesday, and then we were back at work on the Thursday! (Honey moon was this past December though)

We were able to get a hotel room, go to a cirque du solei show, Thermea spa, Louis CK show, etc. and it was a blast being able to go out in our city and be on cloud 9! I'm sure there are great options for you as well Smiley smile

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, good point, and I’ve been meaning to do a day trip soon, it would be the perfect excuse!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think of you can afford to take the time off do it. You'll want a few days of just laying in bed in you jammies as the "OMG we're *married*" vibes wash over you.

You can plan a few little day trips and be tourists in your own town. Pack a picnic lunch and head to a local park or walking trail, if there are sites near by you've never visited try to see a few.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I think so too. He's laid off for the winter season, he does construction and it's seasonal. He sometimes is back to work by then, if he is it's a no brainer, if he's still off I will feel like hanging out with him lol I think no matter what date night sounds fun!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think you'll lose any of the excitement fromt the wedding in only a week. I hope not anyway. I know there is often a bit of a let down after a wedding but you'll still have the honeymoon to be excited about and look forward to. I think the half days and date nights sound like a good compromise
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s a really great idea! It’s the time of year we started dating so that’s perfect, maybe I can do half days instead and go on date nights at night! (Make some money to spoil him at night)

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think you’re crazy for wanting to work. I know I’d probably get bored of a week at home if I didn’t have plans!
    You could have a staycation before you go: check out local sights, visit your old haunts from dating, kind of like a week of date nights.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics