Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bridget
Curious August 2018 Alberta

Friday vs Saturday Wedding?

Bridget, on February 13, 2018 at 23:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

Hi everyone!

I have booked my wedding date for Friday, August 17th, 2018 with the ceremony to take place at 3 pm. I am considering changing my date to Saturday, August 18, 2018 to allow for out-of-town guests to travel. Any thoughts or is anyone having their wedding on a Friday?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on February 17, 2018 at 10:04
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great choice ! Smiley smile
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding was originally planned for a Friday evening and having a candlelight service. The out of town guests had no issue coming in for it. Then my venue called me asking to we to switch my date. They had a large fundraiser coming in and ask me very kindly if I would be interested in moving to the next night which is Saturday. I told them that would have to check with my vendors and everyone was available to move. My vision for my wedding changed slightly, but my venue made it well worth it for us moving the date.
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Everyone!

Thanks for all of your comments - much appreciated. We have decided to stick with a Friday wedding at 3 pm. Our guests all will have to travel to our wedding regardless of the day and we figured it would give them some extra time to enjoy the scenery in Jasper during the weekend instead of having to rush back home to work right away.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We initially looked at a Friday wedding for the price difference but once we mentioned how many guests were from out of town we were told that Saturday would be much more accommodating for them.
    Also the people in our wedding party that are coming from out of town appreciated it because otherwise they would have to take the Thursday and Friday off for the rehearsal dinner and then the wedding day
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were thinking to have the wedding on Friday as well because it was cheaper than Saturday. But we have some guests that do work on Saturday, so Friday would be hard for them to party and also we have about 10 guests flying from Europe, and one day would be very beneficial for their jet lag.
  • Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is on a friday at 4. it is cheaper on friday then saturday.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely doing Saturday for out of town guests. Friday might require people to take work off, which is not always easy. I think it depends how many out of town guests you have!

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aug 18 2018 (18/8/18)is a very popular date this year so don’t make a hasty decision as it may be a nightmare rescheduling or finding new vendors... I learned this the hardway and moved my date to the 25 as it was a pain lol
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a Sunday afternoon wedding and lunch reception - it allowed us to get the venue we wanted at a really good rate, and also allows the folks from out of town to travel.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I seem to be in a minority here, but I don't prefer Friday weddings at all.

With a 3PM ceremony, that means if I were a guest even in the same town, I would need to take the day off work (I have a 10AM - 6:30PM work day). Because of that and a very limited amount of holidays I have, I would end up not coming to the wedding unless it was a best friend or immediate family member.

That being said, it is ultimately your and your FH's decision and you know your guests and their expectations better than I do.

With your wedding so close though, I do think it would be unlikely that you could still get the Saturday date?

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think either day is fine. People will have to travel regardless and will probably take the same amount of time off work. Fridays are generally less expensive in the venue costs though.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've been to a mix of weddings between saturdays and fridays. One friday wedding was out of town. It wasn't terrible, it was actually sort of nice to still have the rest of our weekend ahead of us after the wedding was done instead of feeling like our entire weekend had been eaten up by travel.

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whatever works for the majority of guests, considering travel, but it's your decision to make. We originally wanted a Friday as well, so that we weren't tying up everyone's weekend. We thought it would be cheaper, but it wasn't cheaper at all with our hall or vendors. Good luck with your decision. It's only 6 months away so you should choose the date soon.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saturday weddings are more expensive. Our wedding took place on Friday too. Saved on the cost.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think either way out of towners are going to have to take a couple days off work. Plus, it's the summer so most people are able to take time off work/use vacation days. I think as long as you give people enough notice, they'll be able to make arrangements to go.

• Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! That's great savings Rebecca!

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to have my wedding on a Friday! The venue we chose, it was almost $14,000 cheaper to have our wedding on a Friday rather than a Saturday. We’re sending out save the dates just to make sure we give everyone a heads up!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't mind Friday weddings at all, they are perfectly fine. We picked a Saturday because the date we liked as well as easier for out of town guests. If you only have a few our if towners then Friday should probably work, but if there is a lot, like we have, then maybe you should switch it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics