Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Food - Splurge or Save?

Lynnie, on August 19, 2019 at 10:29 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21

Don't forget the main event... the meal that is! Smiley winking Are you saying yes to all the catering add-ons? Or keeping your eyes on the bottom line?

Splurge or save? 🍽️

Food - Splurge or Save? 1

Photo from Brock House Restaurant in Vancouver

Next Question: Booze - Splurge or Save?

Back to the Beginning: Splurge or Save?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Tina, on September 1, 2019 at 11:16
  • Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge! Food was one of our top three priorities. We chose our venue largely due to their in-house catering focusing on local & fresh. Venue is free with catering, so food and booze alone is 50% of our budget. Eek!

• Emma
    Newbie December 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save!

Our Caterer is a family friend, buffet all the way.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge. Food rounded out our top 3 so we put the majority of our budget towards that.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge- I wanted to do something cheaper and ended up doing more of splurge

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurged. We are having some pretty gourmet food.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save! we’re doing a local food truck, which is inexpensive compared to other caterers, but better in quality IMO
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We splurged. Got the top end menu. Huge antipasto buffet for cocktail hour (the thing I'm most excited about) plus we are having family style so everyone will have both chicken and beef if they want. The late night buffet has a ton of food too. All I have to say is I don't care what happens I'm eating lol.. my MOH has been instructed to get me my antipasto plate of I get caught up with pictures. That is true friendship 😀
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saved!

We went with the buffet option, which as the cheapest at the venue.

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A splurge for us - food is one of the things we were not willing to compromise on! Our per head for food alone is about $80 pp, including our alcohol - which is open bar - it comes to about $140 per person.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurging a bit here. We're adding a meal choice and probably offering roast beef, which costs extra from the regular options. But a meal is included in our venue's package.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are sort of splurging on the food. The main meal alone is $58/head before the taxes & service charge. But I’ve honestly only ever heard good things about their food so its worth it.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In between Save and Splurge. It is definitely the biggest expense with 100 people. We are opting for buffet vs. plate, because, even with the exact same menu, it a difference of a few hundred dollars.

We doing a dry wedding (due to severe allergies to alcohol) so lots of saving there, but are thinking about doing a sundae or milkshake bar in its place, which is a splurge....lol

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. We are doing a BBQ with hot dogs and burgers and maybe a couple of salads.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our catering options were included with our venue, so it is a splurge (biggest part of our venue budget).

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. Everything we have is included in our venue price. We haven't had any outside catering minus our cake and cupcakes.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saved. I'm not really sure what the line is for caterers we looked at 2 or 3 companies and chose the one we liked the most which we get a lot for our buck lot of options. They incld. tea and coffee as well as dishware where as the other one we looked at charged for the smallest thing. Still a lot of money to caterer but we could have spent a lot more.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saved!!!

The cost of the food was included in the venue pricing to feed our guests for cocktail hour, dinner and late night buffet. Everything was fantastic and perfect from variety to taste.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save i guess since we chose the cheapest food package that our venue offers, which still seems delicious. We're also having a late night popcorn card as opposed to a more expensive and elaborate late night spread.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving! Our food is included in the pricing for our venue, we aren’t paying any extras for add ons
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SPLURGE! FH and I are major foodies, our wedding was always going to be out the fancy dinner. So we will be doing a delicious cocktail hour, 3-4 course dinner, and then a fun late night snack. And if our RSVP end up being smaller then expected, the more courses we will add on.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. Although the bill still comes out to thousands of dollars - we are having a 250 person wedding so all in all it is way cheaper!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics