Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jean
Newbie July 2022 British Columbia

Flowers? Should i diy or just buy them?

Jean, on July 13, 2020 at 13:54 Posted in DIY 0 10

Do you know what the average cost of flowers are? I'm debating about whether or not to DIY them or if I should search for an affordable florist? All my searches are showing that one bouquet is approximately $150- 175. Our wedding is going to be about 60 guests, so i'll probably just need 4 bouquets, 4 boutonnieres, 10 (?) centrepieces and maybe a few extra to oomph up the place.

Let me know if you've had any luck DIYing or buying flowers in bulk online!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Courtney, on September 11, 2020 at 16:38
  • Courtney
    Beginner October 2021 Alberta
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Flowers? Should i diy or just buy them? 1

Flowers? Should i diy or just buy them? 2

I made all of the florals for our wedding in April (once I have an idea I need to start lol). Over all for my bouquet, 2 bridesmaid, 6 boutioneeres, and 3 flower girl hoops as well as decor for the aisle markers and card table I'm sitting at roughly $350. If you have the time you could easily make your own with the exact vision you have in mind, it also helps that I love to craft and DIY haha. I like the fact that I can keep these piece for years to come after the wedding. I personally couldn't stomach the cost of what fresh flowers would be, especially if I wanted flowers that were out of season.
    Good luck with your choice!! 🙂
  • Brianna
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would contact some florists in your area and get a quote. I was going to bulk order all my table flowers and arrange them myself to cut costs. once I mentioned that to my florist (who i was just going to get to make my bouquets) she said she could buy and arrange them cheaper that I would have been able to do it. It ended up saving me money AND time/ stress.

Try asking before making a decision.

• Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I made my own, also made my BM & the boutinees if you're crafty you can definitely make them yourself Flowers? Should i diy or just buy them? 3

• Allison
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Consider in-season potted plants with nice pots/ wrapping instead of vases for centrepieces and decor. It is saving us HUGE money by using potted mums for our fall wedding (like under $20 a plant) and your guests can take them home and plant them and enjoy them forever!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Real flowers weren't going to fit our budget, rental for artificial floral ball and vases cost around $130 along with money box rental too. 9 tables count.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I bought our flowers in bulk from our local florist and we've gone with artificial flowers

We are having about 70 people. 10 centerpieces, 3 bouquets (1 is a through away) 6 boutonnieres and 5 corsages. We payed just under $1000 for all

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are some wonderful faux flowers these days. While they aren't super cheap, you can often sell them to other budget savvy brides after your wedding.

I had thought about making my own centerpieces and small bouquet with Costco flowers, but covid has derailed that (at least for now) so I'll be making paper flowers.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just further on Caitlyn's point, or fridges are no good for the majority of flowers. Floral shop fridges preserve humidity whereas or fridges dry things out to prevent food from spoiling. Flowers need humidity to bloom properly or they can freeze wrinkle and freeze as Caitlyn says.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bouquet, which was a mix of white roses and blue preserved roses, cost $100. Our bridesmaid bouquets were all white roses and were $60 each. Choosing one type of flower for bouquets cuts down on price. As well, look to see what flowers are in season during the time of year when your wedding is. Off season flowers are more expensive. I was very pleased with our florist and definitely think hiring one was the right choice for us. We got a bride bouquet, 2 bridesmaid bouquets, 6 boutonnières, 4 corsages and two large ceremony arrangements with tall vase and pedestal rentals for $1,000 before tax. Where your floral bill really starts to add up is when you include flowers in your centrepieces. We were able to save by doing diy non floral centrepieces.

Something to keep in mind about making your florals yourself is that it’s a big task that cannot be done until a day or so before the wedding so the flowers are fresh. For me personally that was too much work and stress to leave til that close to the day of so I went with a florist. You have to also remember that any bulk florals you order need to be stored somewhere cool to keep them fresh like a fridge. My SIL made her own bouquets and her flowers were okay in my in-laws’ basement for a few days before bouquets were made, but the night before the wedding after the bouquets were made the girls put them in their hotel fridges and some of the fridges were too cold and froze some of the flowers making it necessary to have emergency bouquet repairs done the morning of the wedding. My SIL’s flowers ended up looking great, but she had a lot of help from her grandma, who’s a retired florist, and a bridesmaid who once worked in a flower shop. She ordered her flowers online from Costco.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cost wise, it really depends on what you want and time of year. With bouquets, things like the size of the bouquet + how many types of flowers will affect the price. We're seeing a $100-$200 range for a bride's bouquet. The low end is just standard roses whereas the high end has like a mix of 10 seasonal but more expensive flowers. Bridesmaid bouquets range $40 - $100.

The thing about DIY flowers, especially for bouquets, is if you don't have experience with it, they can not look right (lopsided, certain blooms not as lively as others, wilting, etc). Florists knows what to do with each breed of flower and how to store them so they stay fresh.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics