Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

First Look - Why or Why Not?

Lynnie, on April 18, 2019 at 14:27

Posted in Plan a wedding 40

Are you doing a "first look" and taking pictures before your wedding ceremony? Or are you waiting until you walk down the aisle? Some couples want to save that magic moment for the ceremony, but there's no denying how helpful a first look can be on your photography timeline! How did you decide? What...

Are you doing a "first look" and taking pictures before your wedding ceremony? Or are you waiting until you walk down the aisle? Some couples want to save that magic moment for the ceremony, but there's no denying how helpful a first look can be on your photography timeline!

How did you decide? What are your pros and cons?

cfb_45403.jpg

Photo from Forever After Studios in Vancouver

40 Comments

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not! My fiance and I both agree that waiting to see each other till I walk down the aisle is so much more special than seeing each other before. From the very beginning we had agreed on this then a few weeks ago he mentioned a first look but then when he thought about it he quickly changed him mind. He thought the first look might help with our nerves and emotions, which it probably would but it still doesn't change the fact that we think we would regret it. We have decided to do a first touch instead, we will either be on opposite sides of a wall and hold hands while we just have a quick conversation and the photographer snaps some cute pics or have him blindfolded and this will allow us to hug and kiss. We will talk to our photographer about this and see what she thinks. But a big no to a first look.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not for us. We want to see each other for the first time when I walk down the aisle.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Relate to this 10000%! I know I will want that moment of peace and comfort with FH before facing our big crowd LOL.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really came down to a logistics decision for us, it was either miss the cocktail hour to do photos after the ceremony or have the first look. I was not phased by missing out on the traditional walk down the aisle first look, and FH and I choose our venue because of their food and drink service so ultimately a no brainer! We will do the first look and as many photos as we can pre ceremony, then just finish up with a few of the family portraits right after. I am excited, from looking at our photographers previous first looks, I think it will be amazing and so sweet and special.

Some family members have not been happy with this choice, and were insistent on finding a work around for us to have the traditional option, but I had to put my foot down and declare this is what we want regardless. I am finding that the peanut gallery is just attached to random specific things!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely doing a first look! We only get our photographer for 6 hours so we wanted to get as much time out of her as possible. I also don’t want to cry in front of everyone. I’m not a big crier, so I’m hoping to get that out of the way lol
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a First Look. I know that seeing my FH before the ceremony will really calm my nerves...being infront of THAT many people.

Plus it will give us time to do our wedding party photos before the ceremony so we can enjoy more of cocktail hour after family photos

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look. People are traveling to come to our wedding. Check in time at the hotel is 4:00pm. So by having a first look, people have time to check in, get ready and make the ceremony for 5:30. So it just logistically made the most sense to us. If we were to have an early ceremony, then there wouldn’t have been a first look. I would have preferred that, but oh well
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a first look because my fiance didn't like any location at our venue for it (most locations they suggested were farther from the ceremony site or were near the parking lot where guests would be arriving).

I have always liked the tradition of doing the first look at the ceremony so I didn't argue it, I think doing it at the ceremony adds some intimacy to the whole thing Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics