Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amysousa
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

First Look - What do we do?

amysousa, on February 17, 2020 at 08:54 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 18

Originally I didn't want to do a first look and have it all be a surprise for my husband-to-be, but we're going to be seeing each other the entire morning before the wedding since we don't have much help (no coordinator or wedding planner) and will likely be sleeping with each other the night before anyway. After watching a few wedding videos with first looks, I realized that I'm going to cry a lot and would rather do that when I'm alone with my fiancé rather than when I'm walking down the aisle with everyone staring at me. We would have our photographer capture the first look, but my main question is how do we go about doing it? My fiancé and I are both awkward so we need to plan something in advance.

So far my only idea is to have him look at a little cute gift I created for him (a little illustrated book on a pdf on his phone) that will prompt him to turn around to look at me when he's done reading it. Does this sound like it would be cute, or would it be weird? It should only take him two to three minutes to read the entire story and look at all of the illustrations.

If we do go with that, do we just pose and get a few pictures with one another and then go our separate ways again for the ceremony to start? Should we invite the wedding party in afterwards to get pictures with them before the ceremony and capture some of their reactions (the groomsmen to seeing me and my bridesmaids and vice versa?)

Please let me know if you have any cute ideas and share what you did at your wedding (especially if there's something we shouldn't do!)

Looking forward to hearing from you all Smiley smile

18 Comments

Latest activity by amysousa, on March 10, 2020 at 21:33
  • amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went for our tasting recently and decided that we're going to do the first look in the ceremony hall since it'll be set up, but no guests will be there. I definitely want to stand behind him and wait as he reads through the surprise!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Youre photo people will be able to help. but decide where you want to do your first look ie indoors or outside nearby and thats great let him read it and make sure youre standing behind him

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aah that picture is beautiful! Ideally it would be mostly family photos after the ceremony to save time and because I still want me to be a surprise to most of them. I'd also feel bad if the entire wedding party couldn't enjoy the snacks after helping all morning.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't plan anything!. My photographer set up my fiance to wait, and then I walked up behind him. that's it!

We did all of the pictures with the wedding party before the ceremony, so our bridal party was basically free the rest of the night. We also did the majority of our couples photos before the ceremony. We chose to go this route because we didn't want a 2 hour gap before dinner. We only had family pics afterwards, and then we snuck away for sunset photos during dinner.

First Look - What do we do? 1

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't want to miss out on any good picture opportunities and know an hour isn't enough to get them all done considering our engagement shoot took 1.5 (and it was just the two of us). I also want to get most of the crying done so I'm not a sobbing mess in front of all the guests while I attempt to walk down the aisle. I'm glad you like the idea! I wasn't sure if it was silly or not at first, but it seems like most think it's a cute idea so I'm even more excited now!

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definitely want that moment just to be us two! Still undecided on if we want the wedding party to come in after we get a few pictures together alone, or just wait until after the ceremony! It'll most likely be a last minute decision depending on if the weather is really nice since it's the awkward time of year where it can start raining at any moment.

• Baria
    Curious July 2022 Quebec
    Baria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As much as I want the aisle and will have it, getting the pictures done before will save you so much time.and stress, and you'll be able to enjoy the rest of the evening. Plus, first looks are so romantic, intimate yet captured.
    I loooove your idea! It's so cute and romantic. I'm sure you'll be fine. Girl, my heart raced for you. Lol.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pondering what he's thinking while reading your gift is a nice idea and turning towards you afterwards. This should be your moment as it would be special without the wedding party involved. They are in the pictures after the wedding anyhow since you have that done and set. Make your moment happen if you will be crying and FH too.

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds so cute! I'm hoping to do the back to back thing while he reads the little story on the phone, and then have someone take the phone away once he's directed to turn around. Hopefully the pictures will end up really cute!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just had both me and my DH close our eyes and be directed into the same room, stand back to back, pretend to have him try and peak at me, and then on the count of three we both turned around Smiley smile We had already done pics of me and my BM, and him and his GM, so we just needed fam pics and the full wedding party pics which we did following this.

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds lovely! Hopefully I'll have time with doing a first look to mingle a bit while everyone is enjoying the hors d'oeuvres so I can have more time to eat and relax during the reception.

• S
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Shelley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds really sweet!

We're doing our first look outside of our venue. His first look will be when I step out of the limo. Since the ceremony is on site I don't get the grand church arrival so this is my substitute!

We were on the fence for a first look but it really makes sense and gets the majority of the pictures done and out of the way so the cocktail hour for guests is shorter (less waiting around) and we'll have some time to mingle with everyone before dinner.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really want to only see him at the aisle. But timewise getting pictures before the ceremony is best.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like a cute idea. We are doing a first look once me and the girls are done getting ready. So basically we'll meet the boys, it'll be the whole bridal party then we'll head over to our venue and continue family pics then ceremony, and reception. since we're doing first look, it'll give us a chance to converse (kinda have a receiving line) with our guests during appetizers as opposed to running around and taking pics lol.

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay thank you! I'm also stressed out about not getting enough pictures if we were to do everything afterwards so that's definitely a huge plus. I didn't think about having the family join in before, but that might actually be better since they won't be in as many photos as the wedding party and that would give them time to help set up while we're off getting pics done after the ceremony!

• amysousa
    amysousa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh definitely! It'll probably take a few hours for me to get ready with my bridesmaids after finishing up everything my fiancé and I need to do together prior so it'll go from my looking like a mess with no makeup to the final look when he sees me again Smiley smile

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The book sounds really cute!
    I would try to have a cut off time when you stop seeing each other to go get ready so he doesn't see you with your hair or makeup done.
    Ultimately seeing you in the dress with you all done up will be a surprise no matter how you do it!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Those sounds like wonderful ideas that will be lovely on your day! We’re doing something similar because we have to get our party and family pictures done before the ceremony because of daylight.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics