Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
Devoted June 2019 Ontario

First look blues

Natasha, on July 24, 2018 at 19:11 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 29
My fiancé and I are set on not having a first look as we both want that special moment the first time coming down the aisle. However our photographer has strongly recommended we do a first look. Is there anyone who didn’t and regret it? And what are your thoughts on it? We are spending a Big B

29 Comments

Latest activity by Krista, on September 8, 2018 at 15:42
  • Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FOR SURE FOR SURE do the first look. best part of my day!

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can still get some gorgeous "first look" esque pictures without actually doing a first look! Like there's always that one on pinterest where the bride and groom are back to back on opposite sides of the door but holding hands and it's adorable!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally thought this is what we would want and I even talked to my FH about it and he was on board. I think I have decided we do not need it though. I want to capture our true emotions as I walk down the aisle.

• Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My and my FH are not doing it as we would prefer our first looks to be at the ceremony as I walk down the isle. We are doing letters to each other and have asked that the photographer captures that moment before the ceremony instead

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s how FH and I feel. We want to be the first time walking down the aisle and he is very adamant about that. However I’m so concerned about the 3 hour layover time from the ceremony to the reception. Especially seeing they are in the same place.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing a first look, both my FH and I don't want to ruin the moment of authenticity and feelings of walking down the aisle. We reserved time during the social/cocktail hour for our guest so we can sneak away and take photos! It's not your photographers wedding, while they may have the best intentions don't let them push you into a decision you don't want!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do a first look and I don't regret it at all! It was really cool to walk out of the house and notice the people but only really see my husband waiting for me at the end of the aisle. He still got teary eyed, we still captured our reactions to seeing each other and it was beautiful!

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do a first look and i was totally OK with it.

I didn't want to do it anyways. I wanted him to watch me walk down the isle and see me there for the first time.

WE had enough time for all of the pictures we wanted afterwards, plus a few extra.

Wouldn't have changed a thing about the way we went about it

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First of all, it's your wedding, not the photographer's, so choose what you want.

I'm not married yet, but we're planning to have a first look. My fiancé wasn't sure initially, but it will allow us to spend more time with our guests, and we like the fact that this will be an intimate moment for us, that our photographer will be able to capture. I'm sure we'll still both get emotional when we see each other again at the church.

We're only planning to do couple pictures before the ceremony, and we'll do the wedding party and family pictures between the ceremony and reception, as we don't want to make the day even longer for the little ones (nephews and niece).

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look, but it's only because we're walking eachother down the aisle. Like some of the other ladies have said, don't let the photographer push it on you. Maybe they are motivated to charge you more. I don't think you'll regret it. You'll still get first look photo's, but instead you'll be walking down the aisle Smiley smile
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it's something you think you may regret then it's not worth it. You and your fiance should stick to what you really want and not let anyone try to change your mind. I know for a fact if we did a first look we'd regret it. I cannot wait for the moment when we see each other for the first time as I walk down the aisle, that moment cannot be replaced. Stick to what your heart wants!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    2pm ceremony 5pm cocktails and 6pm supper. Guests can hang out on the farm during that time and we’re going to set out some drinks and lawn games to kinda help keep people hydrated and entertained.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What is the time gap?
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmm I see! Hopefully there is some way you can make it work that you’re 100% happy with! Our ceremony and reception are at the same place but we are getting ready elsewhere in separate locations. There will be a gap for pictures after the ceremony before cocktails but this is pretty normal for weddings in our area.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m just so confused because our timeline works perfectly if we do but I really don’t want to do one but our ceremony and reception is the same place do it kinda only makes sense. I don’t know
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t let your photographer push you into a first look if you don’t want one. They should respect your choice it’s your day! We aren’t doing a first look.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't beacause it was one of those things that you are wanting to see your other half to match you or tie in the colour. We had known what we were wearing as parents got my outfit from India.

The fact we were living together was harder to hide the outfit too.
  • Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing one... and Its the moment I am most excited for to be honest!!

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ok my first wedding was 19 years ago. Long before this whole first look craze. This first look thing was started by photographers.

Its your day. Do everything exactly how you want it. Do not let any of your vendors pressure you in doing something a certain way. Honestly if a vendor was not listening to what I wanted I would be finding a new one.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do what you want! It's your day! I understand people wanting the first look and I understand why people want it goi g down the aisle!
    I personally want the first moment to be experienced walking down the aisle too! The only real difference is timeline... and how personal you want that moment you want between you and your fiance. Walking down the aisle first you're sharing that first moment with everyone around you too! You two will be focused on each other but it is a shared moment! A first look I can see being much more private and personal. But again it's your day and your moment!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are most welcome Smiley smile Just remember your day will be perfect and amazing whatever you decide to do!
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for your input. It also works better for our timeline just never envisioned first look as I wanted it more traditional. You have given me a lot to think about. I look forward to what the other ladies have to say. Thanks again.
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Its all good! Happy to help!

I honestly didnt care about a first look... We just did it to space out our timeline so we had a more relaxing afternoon with our guests. We hadnt even planned it really.

We met at the park with our entire wedding party and our photographer set up the first look.
    After the first look we took photos with our wedding party for about an hour.. And then my husband and i went off into the trails with our photographer to get some photos of just us- and some peace and quiet before the ceremony. It was so relaxing to get to spend some time with just him because the whole day is just such a blur! Probably one of my favorite parts of the whole day.

Then we walked over to where our ceremony was going to be and just waited for the ceremony to start. I went to a different area of the park out of sight of the guests and he went to go mingle. So then i didnt see him again until i walked down the aisle. I for sure wasnt expecting to get emotional AGAIN. But i sobbed the entire ceremony and he got so choked up he had to take a break saying his vows. We had so many people tell us it was the most emotional they'd ever been at a wedding before.
    After my experience I 100% recommend doing a first look. I feel it was a lot more intimate than walking down an aisle with everybody watching and we had time to just talk. There was no rush to stop hugging and get on with the ceremony. Nobody to judge your reactions.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow. That is exactly what the photographer said. Can you talk about your experience more? Did you always want a first look? Where did you do it? Did you end up going to a park after for pictures or was that no longer needed? During the first look did you take bridal party pictures as well. Sorry for all the questions. I’m panicking.
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a first look and it was amazing. Neither of us were expecting to get as emotional as we did and it was REALLY nice to have that private moment to ourselves.

AND i found it didnt take away from the ceremony at all. I still was nervous before the ceremony and i still cried as i walked down the aisle. My husband still cried when he saw me.
    If anything it just added a second special moment into our day!
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes and now I’m contemplating because it makes the whole day work out better buts it’s not really what I envisioned. If we don’t do the first look the ceremony is in the garden of the venue so I was thinking ceremony at 1pm which the photographer also said is bad timing for oiztures outdoors and then after the ceremony go to a park for pics and then come back to the venue. But for our guest what will they do in the meantime as cocktails hour doesn’t start until 5:30pm
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Follow your Heart. I want that moment when I walk down the aisle as well.
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do first looks at mu first wedding. Never once did we regret it.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't do it just for your photographer. They have the least reason to care... (my mom wanted the first time my fiance seeing me to me down the aisle.... due to timing and day light, we are doing a first look and all photos before the ceremony).
    Just because they like first look photos doesn't mean you need to do them.
    I think if you want to have that special moment, do it. I think more people would regret doing a first look and not having it be down the aisle, than vice versa.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics