Natasha
Frequent user June 2019 Ontario

First look blues

Natasha, on 24/July/2018 at 19:11 Posted in Wedding ceremony
My fiancé and I are set on not having a first look as we both want that special moment the first time coming down the aisle. However our photographer has strongly recommended we do a first look. Is there anyone who didn’t and regret it? And what are your thoughts on it? We are spending a Big B
Share:

29 Comments

• Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·

FOR SURE FOR SURE do the first look. best part of my day!

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2020 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·

You can still get some gorgeous "first look" esque pictures without actually doing a first look! Like there's always that one on pinterest where the bride and groom are back to back on opposite sides of the door but holding hands and it's adorable!

• Kaisha
    Expert March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·

I originally thought this is what we would want and I even talked to my FH about it and he was on board. I think I have decided we do not need it though. I want to capture our true emotions as I walk down the aisle.

• Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·

My and my FH are not doing it as we would prefer our first looks to be at the ceremony as I walk down the isle. We are doing letters to each other and have asked that the photographer captures that moment before the ceremony instead

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    View quoted message
    That’s how FH and I feel. We want to be the first time walking down the aisle and he is very adamant about that. However I’m so concerned about the 3 hour layover time from the ceremony to the reception. Especially seeing they are in the same place.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·

We are not doing a first look, both my FH and I don't want to ruin the moment of authenticity and feelings of walking down the aisle. We reserved time during the social/cocktail hour for our guest so we can sneak away and take photos! It's not your photographers wedding, while they may have the best intentions don't let them push you into a decision you don't want!

• Erin
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·

We didn't do a first look and I don't regret it at all! It was really cool to walk out of the house and notice the people but only really see my husband waiting for me at the end of the aisle. He still got teary eyed, we still captured our reactions to seeing each other and it was beautiful!

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·

We didn't do a first look and i was totally OK with it.

I didn't want to do it anyways. I wanted him to watch me walk down the isle and see me there for the first time.

WE had enough time for all of the pictures we wanted afterwards, plus a few extra.

Wouldn't have changed a thing about the way we went about it

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·

First of all, it's your wedding, not the photographer's, so choose what you want.

I'm not married yet, but we're planning to have a first look. My fiancé wasn't sure initially, but it will allow us to spend more time with our guests, and we like the fact that this will be an intimate moment for us, that our photographer will be able to capture. I'm sure we'll still both get emotional when we see each other again at the church.

We're only planning to do couple pictures before the ceremony, and we'll do the wedding party and family pictures between the ceremony and reception, as we don't want to make the day even longer for the little ones (nephews and niece).

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    We are doing a first look, but it's only because we're walking eachother down the aisle. Like some of the other ladies have said, don't let the photographer push it on you. Maybe they are motivated to charge you more. I don't think you'll regret it. You'll still get first look photo's, but instead you'll be walking down the aisle
  • Holly
    Featured June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    If it's something you think you may regret then it's not worth it. You and your fiance should stick to what you really want and not let anyone try to change your mind. I know for a fact if we did a first look we'd regret it. I cannot wait for the moment when we see each other for the first time as I walk down the aisle, that moment cannot be replaced. Stick to what your heart wants!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    View quoted message
    2pm ceremony 5pm cocktails and 6pm supper. Guests can hang out on the farm during that time and we’re going to set out some drinks and lawn games to kinda help keep people hydrated and entertained.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    View quoted message
    What is the time gap?
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    View quoted message
    Hmmm I see! Hopefully there is some way you can make it work that you’re 100% happy with! Our ceremony and reception are at the same place but we are getting ready elsewhere in separate locations. There will be a gap for pictures after the ceremony before cocktails but this is pretty normal for weddings in our area.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    View quoted message
    I’m just so confused because our timeline works perfectly if we do but I really don’t want to do one but our ceremony and reception is the same place do it kinda only makes sense. I don’t know
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    I wouldn’t let your photographer push you into a first look if you don’t want one. They should respect your choice it’s your day! We aren’t doing a first look.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles