Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

#Fiancé(e)Friday - Dropping the "L" word

Joey, on March 8, 2019 at 08:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 32

Who said the "L" word first? Were you both ready to say it together, or did someone need a little more time? Was the first time you said "I love you" to your partner spontaneous, or planned? Tell us all about it! Smiley heart

#Fiancé(e)Friday - Dropping the "L" word 1

Photo by Studio Good in Vancouver

32 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on August 23, 2019 at 15:11
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have an ongoing debate over who said it first...

We were away at a cabin one weekend (about 2 months into dating) and he was telling me something and referred to me as "the woman he loves" as part of what he was saying - the next morning I told him that I loved him more directly. He says that I said it first - as it was a direct, I love you Gavin - but I say it was him, even though it wasn't technically I love you Lisa. Smiley smile

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I said it first. Actually after just a few weeks I spit it out...lol I just felt like I've know him all my life from the beginning. Seven years later we are finally getting.married.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awwwwh what a sweet story! I love this ❤️
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were both ready to say it but he was out of town to visit family - I really didn’t want to say it over the phone but he ended up blurting it out. Originally I wanted to refuse to say it back till he was home but I let it slip too and the rest is history 😁💕
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did. I had planned a cute little speech to tell him but a few days before I wanted to tell him, he just came out with! Not very romantic but I didn't care. I was just so happy he felt the same way.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He said it first. I almost stopped breathing! I was ready to say it too and was glad he had gone first.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were together about a year when it was said. He had just return from deployment and I had made it clear that I love him without actually saying it. I was upset he hadn't said it, I was nervous to say it first. He hugged me and said "I know you love me Kaish" I cried and asked if he loved me and then he said it.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was very spontaneous! We were joking around and I said something funny and it just slipped out of his mouth “I really love you” and it was obvious it shocked him a little bit that he had said it, it was about 2 months after we started dating. I was nervous whenever I thought about saying it but once he said it I realized that I was just nervous of it not being reciprocated so early on and then I said it too Smiley smile
  • Haley
    Newbie September 2020 British Columbia
    Haley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We said it within our first week of hanging out just the two of us. We'd known each other for 5 months prior, within the same friend group, both of us harboring feelings for one another. I met him at our mutual friends wedding; he was driving the bridal party to the ceremony location, and I distinctly remember walking out of the doors to see him standing by his car and thinking, "wow, he could be important in my life."
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He said it first and to be honest it terrified me at the time. We had been together for about 1.5 months and had spent the day at the beach with his friends. It had been a really good day but at the end of the night when he dropped me off he said it and it shocked me and I said thank you *face palm*. Don't get me wrong I really liked him but I saw the relationship more of a fun summer one at that point, where as he brags to this day that he knew lol! Luckily he was super understanding and waited patiently for me to be ready too 😊
  • Erin
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance (boyfriend at the time) had taken me to my first ever concert and we were laying in bed at a friends house. I was just about to sleep when I rolled over and said, I love you. We had been dating for a couple months by that point but I was scared it was to soon to say those words out loud. He said he loved me too. Despite being allergic to the cat in the house we were staying at, I spent so soundly that night. Loving someone & being loved back is a wonderful feeling.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had been together just over three months, and were going away for a cozy romantic weekend in the mountains. I already knew that I loved him, just had been waiting for a movie perfect time to say it and this felt like it! On our first night there, we were snuggled up on the couch in front of the fire listening to a playlist he made of songs I had mentioned over the past three months, eating some tasty snacks, and I just felt like I was living out a dream. I said it, and he said it right back and here we are now 2 years later engaged Smiley laugh

• Katie
    Newbie October 2020 Prince Edward Island
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had been official for about 2 weeks. I had already knew from the moment I met him that he was something special, that he would be someone I was going to be around for a long time to come. (Gut instinct I suppose)

I remember wanting to say the words so badly because there was just this "sparkle" about him. But I didn't, I was so nervous to say it.

It was a 1.5hr commute to see each other, and I didn't drive a lot, so most times he would be getting off work then coming directly to see me. We only got to see each other for a few hours during the week. So on weekends we always spent it with each other. During one of those weekends, I didn't want to go home, I wanted to stay with him, so I was pretty sad when we got to the driveway of the house. But he got out came around to my side of the car and spilled the words "I love you" out. I was totally speechless, it took me a few seconds to comprehend that he actually said it, and to say it back.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had only been together for two months. But I knew it in the first week. I didn’t want to rush anything and thought I’d wait for the right moment.
    The night it happened...We actually had a really raw, honest, emotional conversation about some things that had happened in my life. Full ugly cry and everything. And that’s when he told me.
    Later on it came out that we both had been biting our tongues on it for a while in fear of scaring the other one off 😂
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He said it first but we were both thinking about it for awhile. We were together for probably two months. We both wanted to say it sooner but we had holidays planned before we started seeing each other so our first month officially dating we only saw each other for four days.
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I said it first lol. But I loved him before I said it
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He said it first. I wanted to and I knew he loved me but was still afraid he may not say it back. We were hanging out after I had a horrible day and he looked at me and just said it. I was shocked so I kinda pulled back from him a bit, that really freaked him out lol he thought I was gonna run or something. But I said it back! About 5 minutes later he went and told out roommate (at the time, his best friend/bestman).
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I said it first via text (lol)! I think I said something like, "Good night! Love ya." He replied by saying something along the lines of, "Oh, we're going there? Well, love you too!"
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I said it first, spontaneously after being together again after a few days apart. He said it back.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to say it for a few months after we started dating, but he ended up saying it first!

It was on my birthday too, we were at a shag (Northern Ontario slang for stag and doe) and we were both wasted. Afterwards, I went back to his house, where he handed me a birthday card where he wrote in: I love you. Once I was done reading the card, I looked up at him and he said it out loud, and instantly replied! Smiley heart

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He said it first!! When we first met I wasn't sure I wanted to be in a relationship, but after about 3 weeks of us hanging out he asked me again for the millionth time and I said yes! haha and then about 2 weeks later he said it and I was like ohhh, thank you - and then awkward silence for a few seconds and then I said I do really like you but i'm not sure i'm ready to say that yet.. (even though I really had strong feelings for this guy I don't say I love you to just anyone unless I seriously mean it) so about a week later I was like ah heck, I love you too and at that point I knew I would marry him. He was just perfect in every single way and still is to this day Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He said it first. We were saying "I reaaaally like you" for a while, and one night he finally said dropped the 'L' word.

Funny story: He sorta whispered it, so I replied with "What?!". He thought I was caught off guard, but really just didn't hear what he said haha.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we both kind of did? I really don’t remember lmao I just remember we had gone out for Starbucks and just before we went to Kelsey’s to have a beer, I think we said it.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He said it first. We were together about 5 months. He was working out of town and had been gone like 20 days at that point. We were on the phone, he took a deep breath and paused. Then a moment later he said “I love you”. It was so sweet, and although it was almost 10 years ago, I remember that moment perfectly.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He totally said it first. He had asked me for a week straight to be his girlfriend and I thought it was too soon since we were only hanging out for a couple weeks. Then I gave in and said yes after being asked so many times lol. I believe it was about a month later that he told me he loved me!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sor of said it at the same time. The first summer that we were dating we had to commute back and forth to see each other because I had moved out of my school residence. I was over at his place one weekend and I was talking to him about how sad I would get during the week when we were apart. I told him that I'd talked to my mom about it and that she'd said it sounded like I was falling in love with him and I was all embarrassed. He was like, lets said it together on the count of three. So we just both said "1...2...3...I love you"

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally me. We were so young, so he didn’t say it back for about a month lol.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I said it first, but waited until we’d had a drink one night so that if it went badly I could blame it on alcohol lol. I had been wanting to say it for ages but waited until we’d been together for about 8 months. He didn’t say it for a looooong time - he would say “me too” when I sai it to him, it drove me NUTS. Now he’s the one who says it the most though, so he’s forgiven Smiley winking

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He said it first! We had been together for about 3 months and he said it at his apartment just before he went home to Calgary for two weeks for his brothers wedding.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Before we dated we worked together and flirted NON STOP... we would hand gesture "I love you!" As we left for the day and said it in a cutsey way... SO. I actually have no idea who said it first! Or when the first serious one happened once we started dating because we had already used it so much~ 100% means more to us now and we say it every day!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I said it first on a whim...but I meant it.
    And it had taken me months to get develop romantic feelings for him to begin with so when I said it I did with sound conviction.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was me, and it was spontaneous.

We were at a karaoke night and both just DRUNK! He had been in multiple relationships before but he was my first boyfriend so he was waiting on me (or so he says). So I looked at him and on the verge of tears told him "I L-word you, y'know that?" and he of course wouldn't accept that and made me SAY THE ACTUALLY WORD!! Can you believe that guy?? lol So ya, then I said "I LOVE you" to him and he of course said it right back. (This was about 3-4 months into our relationship.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics