Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Feeling like giving up...

Emily, on August 26, 2018 at 14:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Wedding is over a year away and I'm already wanting to give up on wedding planning. everything seems so impossible to do. please any tips on how to keep things straight. and keep going

8 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on August 28, 2018 at 07:14
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really recommend utilizing online planning tools and timelines that tell you when you need to get what done. Obviously getting things done early gets them off the table, but I know tons of people who got engaged and married within a year and somehow pulled it off lol.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just remember that you and FH are going to be one and one name and family. Take it easy and small tasks if needed to do at times. Get away at times and know you're ok. Don't get overwhelmed or frustrated with any decisions being overlooked by others as you know what your doing.

Remain calm and get through the day as you would with anything. At the end of it, you will be glad its done and over, the celebration will be the best day ever to look forward to have family and friends with you.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Small baby steps, cover the things that are important to you fist. Use the people around you that are willing to help, FH, family and friends. Don't think of everything at once, as if you look at the big picture at once it will overwhelm you, use this website to get advice (helped me a lot). Checklists are key to organizing your needs and wants.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awe it is so overwhelming sometimes!! Remember to take a break and talk it
    out with your fiancé and friends. Wedding wire is a huge help! Take it one step at a time and breathe.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We used the wedding wire checklist (obviously customized it quite a bit as well) and at least once a week we agreed to sit down and do one or two things that were due in that time frame.
    So for example we just sat down last night and agreed to pick our wedding favours and pick a song for our entrance.
    Last week we did the first draft of our seating chart.
    We had two years to plan our wedding so that also really helped!
    we also got as much done as we could as early as we could so that the closer we got to the wedding the less we had to do so that helped eliminate some stress
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1 million percent!!! Get a checklist going with timelines!! 10-12 months these should be done, 8-10... etc. Its my life saver and keeping me calm and sane! I mixed the one here on wedding wire with 2 others I found online to make a master checklist that worked well for us! I have copies to my fiance with different items highlighted for him to do and for me to do and for us to do together! Very clear and easy to follow it's the best!!!
  • Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Brittany!

Get a checklist going, theres a great one on here and you can change what applies to you! I also searched pinterest for a checklist, there are so many! It will help a lot. I dove right in and probably booked everything very quickly! Depending on the time of year you may need to book quite far in advance but look at wedding wire for reviews & other peoples experiences with vendors. It has been a massive help for us!

Pinterest has been amazing, I have a wedding board witha bunch of sub categories. eg, dress ideas, bridesmaid dress ideas, colour schemes, cakes, hair etc. And i have just browsed when I have been bored. It will help give you ideas of what you like and dislike.

When I started, I first did a bit of a draft guest list, those who definitely needed to be invited, those who I would love to if we could. I then started looking at venues in my area & narrowed it down to my favourites. This gave me a guest list # and I added/subtracted from there. Once we picked a few venues we loved we e-mailed asking for their wedding packages & we also made sure we had a few dates in mind & asked what was available-- This chose our date for us!

It is definitely overwhelming but you should be enjoying the process, instagram was a godsend for vendors as was weddingwire!

Take your time & make sure you and your fiance go with what you want, try not to listen too much to other peoples opinions and as above, decide who's opinions matter to you most! For me, my mum is helping with our budget, so her, my fiance & I are the only ones that matter! Take it slow & download the checklists....download multiple & print if you want (I did!) Everything will start falling into place as you book certain things.

Our venue contact has been INCREDIBLE! She has answered so many questions and never has an issue, is always willing to helP! Utilise the venue contact if you have one, if the budget fits, hire a planner to help you, they know what they are doing and you can be as involved as you like! Utilise the different people out ther to help Smiley smile

Good luck!! Try and enjoy the process! Don't give up yet Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nothing is impossible! I say, get yourself a list/checklist, or planning book. Simply follow step by step on their timeline. I use both the WeddingWire site, and I purchased The Knot Ultimate Wedding Planner.

It helps you stay calm and realize that 12 months out you don't need your bouquets, rings, DJ and officiant already booked. Start with your big stuff, budget, date, guest list and venue. Then you're good for a few months.

Utilize Pinterest boards (multiple) for organizing different things you like. I have one for the Reception, Bridal Party, Dresses, Cakes, etc.... It allows you to see a theme within the ideas you like, when you think you're overwhelmed by so many choices.

I am just under 5 months away. Our vendors are booked (anything that requires a deposit), and my flowers are picked, but not yet ordered (I'm getting a simple collection of bouquets & boutonnieres from Costco). We will be doing our centrepiece and decor items throughout the fall. Invitations go out at the end of September.

Also, you'll be dealing with lots of family opinions, many of which may conflict with what you want. Decide whose opinions matter now. I knew the only ones I cared about was my fiance, and sometimes my mom. Everyone else, stand your ground, and do what makes you happy.

Don't feel overwhelmed! Yes, a year will go by quickly, but if you divide and conquer your tasks bit by bit, you'll get it all done no problem. Everything is not supposed to be done in one month, I took months off in the first 6 months of planning (12 to 6 months out from wedding), because there wasn't much to do between booking vendors.

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics