Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Taking pictures during the ceremony?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:19 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 28

How do you feel about guests acting like the ceremony paparazzi? Do you think it’s fair game to snap a quick pic if the couple hasn’t explicitly stated it’s an unplugged ceremony? Or do you think it’s always distracting, rude, and in the way of the professional photographer?

Is it wrong to snap a couple pics during the ceremony or no? Faux pas or nah?

Faux Pas or Nah: Taking pictures during the ceremony? 1:: Pinterest

Next Question: Leaving the wedding without saying goodbye to the bride or groom?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:20
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would be fine with this.. the more pictures the better !!!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas unless the bride/groom has not hired a photographer and/or videographer.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tricky one for me! We are getting married in a church for cell phones are already not allowed! But if I was doing an outside ceremony I would be fine with it as long as people don't get in the way of my hired photographer

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Photographer has requested a no phone ceremony as it ruins the pictures and the moment to see everyone with the phones out. I know everyone wants to capture the moments but it's best we have a video that authentic.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto this!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Despite what may be said or put out as a sign, some people will still take pictures during the ceremony. Its a beautiful thing though it may get in the way of the photographer. Its always good to have that distance of where the photographer can their space.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not having an unplugged ceremony but I expect my guests to behave like they have some gd sense and not be tacky af during my ceremony. 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Faux Pas!!!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FAUX. PAS. Even if it's not explicitly an unplugged ceremony, I still think it's rude.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is absolutely unacceptable. i would hate to get my professional photos back only to see people watching me take marriage vows through the screen of their phone
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only a faux pas if the couple has requested you not to. Never ever ever take photos during a unplugged ceremony!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas. specially if you make it extremely noticable or use an ipad!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! Faux Pas. Put.Down.The.Phone. The bride and groom are paying for a photographer (probably not cheap either) so just leave it be, you will get your photos eventually! Enjoy the moment. I am sure this is thanks to social media and instant gratification. For sure having an unplugged ceremony.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is definately a faux pas in my books.i can't stand when people are always on their phone on a regular day... I dont want to see a bunch of cell phones out when i walk down the aisle.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it happens regardless.

it really doesn’t bother me that much, I do get concerned about people being in the way of photographers but we’ve coordinated with our photographers to ensure that doesn’t happen.

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This picture is exactly why our ceremony will be unplugged. Live in the moment! We hired a photographer for a reason.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find it a faux pas, regardless if it's unplug ceremony or not.
    The bride and groom (or the parents) have spent THOUSANDS on a photographer and potentially a videographer. By whipping out your phone or camera, you're basically telling them you don't trust the photographer/videographer to do their job....and can't stay away from your phone for 25 minutes. I find it extremely selfish.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's an unplugged ceremony and there are signs or an announcement and you are aware of that then it is absolutely a faux pas. It's a simple, reasonable request and frankly it's disrespectful to not obey it.

Now, if it's not an unplugged ceremony then you can take pictures as long as you are mindful of not getting in the actual photographer's way.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us: NO NO NO!! Even this image makes me angry lol. We'll have an unplugged wedding sign up and get the officiant to announce it. Buf if the couple doesn't care, then whatever as long as people don't get in the photographer/videographer's way.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say it's a faux pas, regardless if the bride/groom has requested an unplugged ceremony. They can get pictures at the reception but I think guests should live in the moment at the ceremony and leave the photo taking to the photographer!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if the couple hasn't explicitly said they want it to be an unplugged ceremony then it is fair game though it should still be avoided. Some people welcome photos during the ceremony though so if you want it unplugged for sure mention it! We are having a sign and the officiant will remind everyone at the start of the ceremony.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This image is exactly why I don't want people taking pictures during the ceremony. A) I am paying for a photographer. B) Cell phone pics usually suck anyways. C) You should be living in the moment and enjoying our ceremony, not worrying about getting pictures.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think as long as you’re being respectful and it’s not an unplugged ceremony then it’s no big deal
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me I am going to say Nah...as long as you are respectful and stay in your seat I am not going to care. If you leave your seat and go into the aisle (or worse, up to the arch) I will not be pleased.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas, if the guests have an unplugged ceremony. fair game if it is not unplugged. But if you are taking pictures at a ceremony, stay out of the way of the photographer!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends if it is marked as an "unplugged" ceremony or not. If it is, then yes it's a faux pas. If not, well then have at 'er!!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the bride and groom have asked for an unplugged ceremony, then it's a faux pas. If not, then it's fair game.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can stay out of the way, it's fair game. Stay out of the aisles, don't hold your camera above your head, I think it's fine to snap a photo or two if it's not an unplugged ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics