Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Leaving the wedding without saying goodbye to the bride or groom?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:22 Posted in Wedding reception 0 30

Do you think it’s rude to leave the wedding without saying goodbye to the bride or groom? If it was a small house party you’d say goodbye, but what about at a big wedding where the couple is busy? Do you always make sure to say goodbye before bouncing, or are you trying not to monopolize the newlyweds’ time?

Is it bad form to leave a wedding without saying goodbye to the bride or groom? Faux pas or nah?

Faux Pas or Nah: Leaving the wedding without saying goodbye to the bride or groom? 1 Pinterest

Thanks for playing with us! If you missed any questions, feel free to go back and catch the ones you missed here: Faux Pas or Nah?

If you enjoyed these questions, check out our other recent games: 10 things you don't want to forget about your reception, Which wedding traditions are you ditching?, and A Few Of Our Favourite Things! Smiley heart

30 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:21
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can say bye, do it.. Weddings are hectic so if they just seem too busy, then I wouldn't have hurt feelings.

• T
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can say goodbye then I recommend it - but honestly, the bride & groom are always busy & won't be extremely upset about you not saying goodbye!
    For my wedding I would hope people let me know, but if not that's okay. If for whatever reason it may be that our parents or bridal party have to leave.... I would like to know for sure!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can, yes, say goodbye and thank you or congratulations. If they're busy then it's okay to leave without saying anything to them, but it's polite to let someone else know (if you know others there).

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Indifferent for me! The bride groom can be crazy busy so if you can say bye go for it! But don't follow them around and stand there waiting for them to finish something to barge in on them after. Again, they likely wont remember every single person who said goodbye haha!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all.. There are so many people there you probably wouldn't even remember them saying hello. I think it's not a bad thing if people just leave as there are so many people pulling you left to right all throughout the night.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think every effort should be made to say goodbye to the bride and groom. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and it's okay.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are times where we don't see all our guests during the evening or while partying. I feel its ok to leave without saying goodbye and at your own time.

Family is different as we speak on weekly basis or daily just catching up or seeing what's happening within our relatives health wise/life plans. Gatherings of wedding or reunion that may be taking place at someone's place.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that when the bride and groom are doing their recieving line or going table to table, that's when you say hello, good bye at the same time . Like hi so glad you could come, hope you have a great time tonight, see you later. As a guest i would try to say goodbye but if it didn't happen, i would text a goodbye.
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't blame my guests if they snuck out of the dance without saying goodbye but I would be sad if I wasn't able to thank everyone the night of.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re hosting a wedding of 50. I think our guests should make a point of saying goodbye before they leave.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, I think so much else is going on it probably shouldn't matter much to either party.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on the situation. i’d be frustrated as the bride if someone disappeared early in the night without saying goodbye, but i get that things happen
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me personally I'd say faux pas. I want to see our guests and thank them as they leave. I don't mind if you come tap me on the shoulder whiles I'm on the dance floor or whatever. It would be nice to give a hug and thank you to the guests as they head home.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on size of wedding. there was a wedding I went to and drove 5 hours. The bride was so busy I could't even say hi and tried a number of times. I do think people should say hi to people once during the night

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the size of the wedding and your relationship with them. However, I am a bit OCD with goodbyes, and can't just sneak out. Goodbyes are super important to me! But sometimes there is a lot going on, or maybe the B&G are in a important moment and you don't want to interrupt. Could just send a quick message via text (that they may get later) or have someone say goodbye in proxy.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    While I think it's nice to say goodbye it wouldn't bother me if people didnt.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No this doesn’t bug me either. People get busy, or they need to leave and the bride and groom aren’t available.

it happens!
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m torn. Leaning toward nah. If you have the chance, a bye would be nice but if the couple is busy, slipping out is ok.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah.
    Unless your are a very close family or friend, you can skip the goodbyes.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to leave without a goodbye, especially if you're not really close family to the bride or groom

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends how close you are to them, I think. Close family and friends should say goodbye but otherwise, as long as you've congratulated them at some point throughout the night, I think it's fine to leave without a fuss.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine if guests leave without saying goodbye. It's a nice gesture, but it can take up the couple's time when they have to say goodbye to 100+, 200+ guests!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think as long as you have had the chance to say something to the bride and groom at some point then its fine to leave. You wouldn't want to leave without having a chance to speak with them.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to just leave. When you're at large weddings and the bride is busy, it's difficult to find them to say goodbye.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s fine to just leave especially if they’re busy
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am torn on this. Leaning towards Nah, so long as you say goodbye to some people. If you have a chance to say goodbye to the bride and groom, great...if they seem occupied then its ok to just leave

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, if its a big wedding we have snuck off. If it's immediate family, or close family, I try to say a quick bye

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah - weddings are busy enough for the bride and groom - if you can catch them, great, if not, that's okay.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah. We snuck off, so most guests didn't get to say goodbye! It's a nice gesture, but not necessary, especially for large weddings!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, when there are 250 guests you don't need to say good bye to everybody!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics