Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Asking your bridesmaids to pay for professional hair and makeup?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:18 Posted in Beauty 0 34

If you're a bridesmaid and you find out it's a requirement to have you hair and makeup done professionally, do you think if a bride requires it they should pay for it? Or do you think it’s a cost of being a bridesmaid?

Do you think it’s a faux pas to ask your bridesmaids to foot the bill, or nah - it's just part of the deal when being in the bridal party?

Faux Pas or Nah: Asking your bridesmaids to pay for professional hair and makeup? 1Photo from Makeup by Ally Lynn in Langley, BC

Next Question: Not inviting all out-of-town guests to your rehearsal dinner?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

34 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on June 6, 2019 at 13:55
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a bridesmaid I've always covered the cost myself. But as a bride with 2 bridesmaids travelling across the country for my wedding, I'm trying to ease the financial burden and show my gratitude, so I'll be covering the makeup and at least 50% of the hair (I haven't decided if I'm covering the full cost or not). When I mentioned this to my one bridesmaid she was totally surprised and delighted - she had certainly expected to be paying for everything herself.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My maid of honor and my flower girl are my daughters so I know I will be paying for their hair and make up and dresses and shoes, lol. My bridesmaid is my sister so we will more than likely split the costs.

• Rachael
    Beginner August 2019 Alberta
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve always covered it as a bridesmaid but I’m covering it as a bride as my bridesmaids are coming from across the country for this.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmm as a bridesmaid I've always paid for my hair but did my own makeup and would never expect the bride to cover that expense. As a bride i wouldn't demand make up and hair i think just goes without saying and i would expect my bridesmaids to pay for their own.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have always paid for my own hair and make up as a bridesmaid. You don't have to get professional hair/make up done so I don't think you should expect the bride to pay for it.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the bride requires it, she should be the one footing the bill. What you could do is give your bridesmaids the option to be included in the contract of the hair/makeup, let them know the price and give them a deadline to be included and to give you the money before you lock down your contract. Otherwise they would need to figure out their own hair/makeup.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends! If the bride/groom can't cover the expense, they should let their bridal party know that before they accept a position in it so they expect it.

• Emjay
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Emjay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are splitting it 50/50

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends! I understand some couples cannot afford all the extras like rehearsal dinners, makeup for the party, clothes... shoes... But I think the expectations should be listed out up front to ensure everyone is on the right page! Also I think it unfair for the wedding party to be expected to pay for TOO MUCH, costs add up quick and sometimes compromises need to be made! If you don't want to pay for your girls makeup thats fine! But if they cannot afford it either I think it's unfair to force them to!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally am not doing this, but if I were in a wedding I wouldn't have a problem with a bride asking me to pay for these things myself.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I thinks its fair to ask your BMs to get their hair done if the couple's expenses are tight. Our MOHs did their own hair and make up being hair stylists. Helping each other was the best thing and giving my moms hairdo as a free gift to me.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah.
    If you as a bride/couple can afford to cover the costs, so be it. But if you offer to arrange it for your bm’s as an option that works too.
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah, as a Bridesmaid I've never not had to pay for professional hair and makeup so its really something you should factor in when you accept. That being said I'm paying for my girls hair and if they want to do their own makeup I'm good with that.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah. This is reasonable, as long as you also give them the option to do their own hair and makeup, or choose their own mua/stylist.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m asking my girls to pay for their own makeup, but i’ll be taking care of their hair. i don’t think it’s unreasonable. i’m giving them the opportunity to choose their own makeup artist to fit their budget, so i don’t think it’s an issue.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally think that when you agree to be a bridesmaid, that's one of your costs you should expect to have to pay.

When I've been a bridesmaid, it never even crossed my mind that the bride would have to foot the bill for my hair and makeup. Also, its kind of part of the experience getting ready with the bride on the day.

I was pretty miffed when one of my girls was like "no I don't want to pay for that". Their dress was under $100, they can wear whatever shoes they want, I'm buying their accessories, they haven't had to help for any part of the planning...so I think its kinda petty of her to not want to pay for hair and makeup if I'm being real.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah. It's not a big deal to pay for hair and makeup. If it's going to cost them over $100 then that's kind of annoying but typically it's not that expensive. We are all doing our own makeup and girls will pay for their hair to be done. It's part of being a bridesmaid, if you don't want to spend money then don't be one.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah - its part of being in the wedding party

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes. I think the expectation to be a bridesmaid and be out of pocket for all of it, just doesn't jive with me. Especially if you want the professional hair and make up as a brides. Not everyone is in the same position, and I get that the bridesmaid can say no to the commitment due to finances but its sad that money could over rule their emotional support of standing up with you the day of! All depends on the situation, but I think that it should be either a choice for the bridesmaid or the bride covers it, if she is set on that.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is totally normal and expected.
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don’t have a bridal party so we don’t need to worry about this one.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah.
    Offering to pay is a nice gesture, but not mandatory. Again, as long as it's communicated in advance with your crew it shouldn't be a problem.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you require them to get professional hair and makeup done then you should pay. I was alright with my girls potentially doing their own hair and makeup so I told them about the company I booked and asked if they wanted their's done and told them the price for them to pay their own and they both chose to get their hair done professionally and one decided to do her own makeup.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m paying for my sisters hair and make up. I think if there’s a look the bride wants the party to have them definitely
    offer to pay.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the general consensus. I offered to pay for everyone's hair because I want them to all get it done. Some of the bridesmaids don't wear make up normally so I said if they want their makeup done to let me know. All my girls insisted on paying for their hair and makeup though!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As others said, if it's required, the bride should pay for it. Most of my girls opted in for professional hair and makeup so they'll pay but if I said they had to do it, I'd pay.

In the wedding I'm in in June, I'm getting my hair professionally done but I've elected to do my own makeup. Since none were required by the bride, it's my responsibility to pay for my hair.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in agreement with everyone else - if the bride makes it mandatory, she should pay. Otherwise it should be the bridal party's decision. Especially now that I know how crazy prices are.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if the bride is requiring you have your makeup done professionally, she should pay for it. Being a BM is already expensive enough, and then throwing in another $200-$300 for hair/makeup is crazy.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if a bride requires it then she should be paying for it. I think if it’s optional then it’s up to each individual if they want to. It’s expensive enough being in a bridal party imo
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say Nah...every wedding I have been in, it has been a requirement that the bridesmaids pay for their own hair/make up. We are informed well in advance so we know how much it is going to cost. No one has ever asked to do their own instead, though I'm sure that wouldn't have been a problem

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FAUX PAS!!! If it's something that they are to have done no matter what then it shouldn't be up to them to pay for it. Hence, my girls can do their own makeup! I'm not paying for that...

Optional = they can pay, required = Bride pays.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say 'Nah' - it's one of the expected expenses as a bridesmaid. it's a nice gesture to pay for some/all of it, but not a faux pas not to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics