Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Father of the Bride Tradition

Holly, on August 19, 2019 at 16:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20
As tradition states for a wedding... The father of the bride helps pay for majority of the wedding and the mother of the bride helps with dress and bridal party things.

As it stands for My fiance and I we are paying for Majority of our wedding ourselves plus raising money and having a Stag and Doe. We have a very tight budget because of this.

Is it wrong that the father of the bride doesn't want to help with the wedding? Or should we be ok with it and just do it ourselves and take majority of the cost on ourselves?...

20 Comments

Latest activity by Veronica, on August 20, 2019 at 10:05
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with people below, it just isn't the same traditional standard now as it was then. I think weddings in general are alot different then even when our parents got married. And much more expensive as well. I can't imagine any one person being able to foot the majority of that bill. Amazing if they can though! But I never went into planning a wedding, expecting any financial contributions at all. FH and I got this ourselves and are super happy with that decision Smiley smile I also detest having to do something because "tradition" states it so. Don't even get me started on the cake conversation.

Congratulations!

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying for everything ourselves, I'm just happy my dad is going to walk me down the aisle (health issues. My FH parents are helping where they can as well. I dont recall the last time I heard a bride say their parents paid for their wedding.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying for our own wedding, my dad isn't in the picture and my mom is helping with some pieces but we decided this was ours to take on financially. I know my grandma wants to help too so we aren't entirely on our own, but we're planning as if we are.
    The tradition of parents paying for the wedding doesn't seem to be very common anymore. It has been the case for each of the weddings I've been to including one in Mexico city this past March (not a destination wedding for the couple, just for my family being fringe Toronto), but otherwise I think it might be a dying tradition.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It never even occurred to me that anyone except me and FH would pay for our wedding. I've never met a bride who had parents pay for the wedding. I guess it happens though.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Echoing the others, I think it is the exception when parents pay for a wedding. It's a bit of an antiquated tradition
    As the mother of a 14 year old girl, I won't be footing the bill if she chooses to marry. I won't be footing the bill for my son either. My priority will be ensuring their education is covered and helping them buy a home.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FH and I are also paying for our own wedding Smiley smile my siblings offered some help but not my parents as they are both retired

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean... ya? lol I have yet to be at a wedding payed for by the parents ~ then again, I'm 22 and haven't been to many weddings.

I know that way back in the day it was the brides family to pay for things but you also have to consider that there are now weddings where there are no brides right? Just Man & Man and some Wife & Wife weddings Smiley smile

Hence why you may end up coming across lots of discussions asking for help on how to save money here on wedding wire Smiley tongue Most of us on here are paying for our own weddings and look to each other for help in how to save and what to DIY!

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying for our own wedding. My father has not offered, though the wedding is a year away.

I feel it is not his duty. Especially at my age.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It can be still in a way of them offering to help out. Now adays, couples are paying for majority of the weddings with some help of the parents. Budgeting is the key to know what you can afford and what is doable as to having to borrow from others or renting route to save the cost and returning the items without storing it at home. That was my way of looking at things and parents making purchases overseas for me for the wedding day. They Paid for the centerpieces and money box without asking me to pay them back.

Times are changing and so are the costs of wedding vendors services.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah it's definitely really common now for the bride's parents to not foot the bill for the whole wedding. We're lucky in that both sets of our parents are helping us a bit but we're paying for a good chunk of our wedding ourselves.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    More and more couples now a days are paying for their own weddings. We’re paying for the majority of our wedding. My dad and my in laws gave us a bit of money to help out but parents aren’t paying for the traditional things ( ie my in-laws are not paying for our rehearsal dinner, we’re paying for our own )
  • Erin
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the family. I work at a bank and see it all, there are lots of parents giving "inheritance" to their children prior to themselves passing so they can see the children enjoy the funds. I have seen brides put an entire wedding on a line of credit, I've seen retirement funds be withdrawn for weddings, I have seen it all.

I think the best thing to do is to write out all of your assets & liabilities (What you have vs. what you owe), a wedding budget and a plan on how you are going to afford the wedding on your own. Then bring the entire thing to your families so they can get an accurate picture of your finances. From there parents may be more inclined to contribute. You also may be surprised with gift $$$ on the wedding date.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Paying for yourself is more becoming the norm. My fiance and I are paying for everything. My mom is a bit more traditional and wanted to pay for the dress, but didn't have the money being freshly retired...so she bought the day of wedding jewelry instead.

Like another poster said, there are a lot of similar topics about parents paying vs. yourself, percent of who does what, etc, so we are all in the trenches together on it! LOL

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Tori, having your parents pay for the wedding isn’t common at all any more.

every person I personally know is paying for their wedding.

Especially with children living a home longer, they’re having to support their children longer, or contributing elsewhere in their lives (ie paying for education).

• Holly
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    High fives to wedding struggles together!! Lol.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are definitely not alone with this!! There are countless other threads here on the same topic. It's nice to read through and know we are all facing very similar struggles. 😊
  • Holly
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see. Thanks for the advice. Smiley smile Guess I am glad to hear we aren't the only one paying for our own wedding.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only know one couple who had the father of the bride pay for most of the wedding. We are paying for the entire event ourselves, which I can echo is likely the norm now!
  • Holly
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Now the norm?!.... I haven't heard about that. Has everyone had this happen?.... My fiance has wondered if my father just doesn't like my fiance and that's why he isn't helping out. Every woman who was once a girl dreams of her wedding day and hopes she might have that day come true. Even if it's her first love of her father helping her out.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that having your parents not pay is now the norm. Not everybody has the money - especially with parents putting their kids through school.

If they have the money and still don't want to help... Idk, my parents did what they could (payed for my dress+veil)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics