Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Family Photos - Just Immediate or Extended?

Allison, on August 28, 2019 at 13:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

Hi Everyone!

After meeting with our photographer, I'm wondering what people usually do for their family photos - We were thinking just immediate family: grandparents, parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, but I know a few uncles, aunts and cousins who would jump at the chance for a photo - but I'm worried it'll eat up a lot of photography time. My photographer told us to write up a list of people we really want photos of (list A) and a list of people where it'd be nice, but if we're running out of time, she will act as the bad guy and decline the photo. My FH and I are also planning to visit each table before dinner and hopefully our photographer can capture us with each table.

Are you guys opening up family photos to the extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) or just keeping it to the immediate family?

We're also doing a group photo after the ceremony (photos below are at our venue) so we will get a great photo of everyone!

Group photo by poolFamily Photos - Just Immediate or Extended? 1Group photo at stairwellFamily Photos - Just Immediate or Extended? 2

32 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on September 11, 2019 at 16:37
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know there will be some who won't go for a photo, and others that will!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree thats what my family does. they make a line for photos and whoever doesnt want one leaves lol

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We do, we're doing a group photo with everyone right after the ceremony. I imagine if people want individual photos, they'll stick around for it lol

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have a gap between the reception time and the ceremony? if so set up the photographer to grab photos with everyone then as they leave get more photos with close friends/family

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, we’re doing a big group photo, so we will get everyone in that photo and then focus on immediate family. If an aunt or uncle sticks around for a photo, we’ll try to sneak one in
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are just doing immediate family. I have a big family so it would take a lot of time to get everyone in a photo.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, she said she'd be the scapegoat if needed lol!

We invited 145 and will probably have around 120 so it's not a lot to get photos with extended family, just adds time.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our extended families aren't huge, but it will still add time to our formal photos.

We're also having a polaroid guestbook and photobooth so there is opportunities to get photos with those we didn't do formal photos with.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have our photographer for most of the evening, which is why we were thinking of going table to table and getting pictures of us interacting with them.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our entire wedding guest list is only 100 people. We are going to do a first look for immediate family and wedding party. I figured during the cocktail hour anyone wanting a picture with us could let us know then. I think having your A list and B list with photographer is a great idea....also letting her say when you are out of time...
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both have big families so we'll just be doing immediate family photos with our photographer. That's not to say we won't still take photos with our extended families since we plan to have multiple photobooths

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning a group shot after the ceremony and then immediate family only (parents and grandparents). Are you having your photographer for the whole evening? If you are you can let your photographer know you would like a specific candid/posed picture with certain guests, for example a picture at the bar raising a glass (shot if you do them) to the bride and groom. I hope that makes sense.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your input Vinod!

I think if I do extended family, I'll do one photo of my side and one photo of FH's side.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm thinking to do for mine!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had getting ready pictures taken with immediate family only in our suite.

After the wedding, group pictures were taken and by particulars and the whole family at the end so that it was the last one to worry about with the most time to consider.

Give the family shots about 1 hour time for each family pre wedding shots.

Group shots given 30 or more depending on the number of guests attending breaking down into sections you feel they fit in well. Whole family shot should be left to the end so they will be in it. Both sides included and each side separately too.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're only doing immediate family for portraits. The rest will be candid photos of our guests throughout the evening.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My family is infamous for taking a decent photo, only to discover that Uncle Frank was not paying attention and Aunt Mary is in the middle of a blink or something.

I'd rather get candid/fun photos of everyone - we are doing a polaroid guestbook and a photobooth but For Uncle Joe who wants a photo with us... not sure the best way to go about it.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm starting to think having the whole group, my side, and his side would be the best way to go. Then go into the immediate family/wedding party photos.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The way I'm looking at it, if we do the big group, it's not much more difficult to branch off into my side and his side. Then do the immediate family after that.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only immediate family so parents, siblings, grandparents. And then hopefully some fun candid shots during the cocktail hour and dinner with others. I detest family photo time, and having to stand around and be ground together etc etc. And wait to smile, and someone is already not ready. So the less of that, the better!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing photo's before the ceremony so it will be immediate family only. If there is a big want for it though and the weather is nice then I would say to grab 2 pictures isn't that bad (one for your side and one for his). Won't be having an "only cousins" type photo - it would be everybody for one. So even though his cousins on his Dad's side don't know his Aunt and Uncle on his Mom's side - they will be in the same picture. These photo's are for you and your FH - not them.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding party is all our siblings so it makes pictures a lot easier. We are doing grandparent pictures and then just big group family pictures for each side of the family. This way we are not using up a ton of time taking individual pictures.
    The way I look at it, if aunts or uncles want photos with us everyone has a cell phone that will take half decent pictures. We are paying the photographer to take photos of us at our wedding.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah gotcha!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm guessing but I think her side was 75+? Not counting significant others of cousin's and things like that. His side was probably only about 30? His family lives in Poland so it was difficult for a lot of them to come over.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we'll see how it goes!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's true - I guess as long as we and the photographer are somewhat organized, it could work out. How many in each family were at your FSIL's wedding?

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its a hard call- the group shot will be fun though! I would do what your photographer said and if you have time then 100% do it but if not then you can't

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FSIL's photographers assembled everyone together (immediate and extended family) and literally were like XYZ family, go! They'd get in a group, take the photo. Then ABC family, go! And they'd go.

It was a pretty painless process. My cousin's wedding with family was a bit of a disaster because it wasn't organized. The more organized, the better - you already have a list so you're good to go. If people don't listen or pay attention, no picture for them! lol

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The fact that we will have the group shot and table shots is partly why I'm unsure about doing more formal photos, although some family might want a formal photo over one from the reception.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we'd do - our photographer told us to have 2 lists (A and B list) and she'll start with A listers and if we have time, B list. Also she's told us smaller groups won't take as long (i.e. Uncle and Aunt then cousins).

We have 2 hours for photos, so hoping to do family, wedding party, and just us and that each category takes max. 40 minutes each.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping it to immediate family only and then after dinner is completed and before she has to leave we are going to get photo's with people we want to get them with or extended family if we wish that would be the time. He has such a giant family it would eat way too much time

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re including extended family in our photos. Basically it’ll be like roll call.

we’ll give our photographer a list and they’ll shout out the names and people will come take pictures with us and then go inside.

our photos are being done before our reception but hours after our ceremony so it’s kind of awkward but we’re having people show up about 30-40 mins before the reception for photos. If it’s done in an organized way, it won’t take long.

my FSIL did this at her wedding and I think family pictures were 20-30 mins at most.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics