Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Faryal
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

Everything's Changed! Blessing in Disguise?

Faryal, on July 3, 2020 at 10:42 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

My 300+ person elegant September wedding in a beautiful ballroom has been changed to an intimate 50-person outdoor wedding. We finalized this change a week ago and since then, I've been planning - basically starting everything from scratch except for the dress! Luckily, I love wedding planning so I am having fun, plus I am excited to actually be able to get married at all.

South Asian weddings tend to be very large. You can expect a lot of unrecognizable faces in the crowd of your wedding. Our big guest list also limited our venue options. I love greenhouses and lofts for weddings and receptions. I love open ceilings, nature, and a slightly more down-to-earth setting. But none of those options really worked for us. I also eventually realized that I had to let go of a lot of my initial ideas.

I instead found a beautiful ballroom which was very lovely and I was very excited to get married in. The theme of my wedding changed, and there were going to be a lot of beautiful elements to it.

Then, COVID struck. Now that we've decided on a small outdoor wedding, all the original ideas I had - the smaller space, surrounded in nature, open, down-to-earth - were making a comeback!

It's definitely not easy planning an entire wedding in 2.5 months but I'm having fun, taking it in strides, and looking on the bright side of things.

9 Comments

Latest activity by EbonyAriana, on July 4, 2020 at 11:34
  • EbonyAriana
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes me so happy to hear! I'm glad you guys are able to still have your special day 🥰🥰🥰 ( and the way you like it too! )

• Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was definitely heartbroken in the beginning of this all. It was so difficult to get excited about a wedding that I didn’t even know could happen! A point came when I just didn’t want to be sad anymore. I wanted to get excited about marrying the man I love and start our lives together.
    So when we made the decision to do a backyard wedding, we just excited to actually be having a wedding at all! Later, when I started doing some more research and inspiration-hunting, was when I realized how beautiful and special this wedding could be!
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely!! It really makes you re-evaluate everything and separate it to what you really want and what just seemed like fun at the time! Like do I really need a fancy caramel apple station? Or can I just do a cute DIY dessert table instead?
  • A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's awesome that you got to have the wedding you wanted in the first place! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like it will be lovely and fun
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It sounds like the whole thing is full of silver linings! I'm so happy for you to have found all the positive parts of what can easily be a crummy situation.

We've changed a lot of details too and it has truly shown us what is most important!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So glad things worked out for you. A really nice silver lining that saved you from a crappy 2020.

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You have a great attitude. Our wedding was around 300 people and was going to be quite formal. Now it's going to be a 10 person backyard wedding and honestly, I am satisfied. It took awhile to get through the feelings of disappointment but now I just want to get married with my VIP's present.

• EbonyAriana
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking of doing this as well as our venue has a pretty tight time restriction right now. They are only hosting from 4-8pm and it's just a bit short for us. Instead we are either renting out the local community hall and DIYing it or we are going to have a small backyard wedding in it's place. It's short notice but hey , that might be more fun!

I haven't felt super excited about getting married lately because of all the uncertainty that comes with the virus and whether or not we would have to postpone but this idea seems like a blessing in disguise and could very well be our saviour!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love how you are lookjng at the bright side of things and I'm so happy for you getting a beautiful wedding of your dreams. Good luck with everything!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics