Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Europe Honeymoon

Vanessa, on January 6, 2018 at 14:40 Posted in Honeymoon 0 14

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has gone to Europe for their honeymoon or plans on going to Europe for their honeymoon. Did you use a travel agent? Which places did you visit? We plan on going for about 2 weeks and during those 2 weeks we also plan on visiting a friend of my FH's in Germany. I feel a little lost with looking into the honeymoon as a lot of packages don't have everything we want to do and we don't necessarily want to be apart of a group. How many months in advance did you book your honeymoon?

Some of the places we want to go visit is Germany, The Netherlands, Poland, Paris, Italy don't know if Ireland or Scotland would fit into this trip. I do know that Switzerland borders Germany, France, Italy and Austria. Lots of ideas. We still have months to plan but still feels like time is slipping.

Would love to hear what others have done.

Thanks in advance.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on January 14, 2018 at 12:59
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    War history will have a huge part for my FH as well. I don't mind it as well but between him and my brother there buffs at it so to actual go for my FH will be icing on the cake.
  • C
    Newbie November 2019 Alberta
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's great! We also want to do the same thing, go for 2-3 weeks. I think we are going to rent a car and try to go around Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Germany, France (we both would like to see some of the war history areas if time allows). The only thing we will be booking in advance will be flights, my fiance hates being on a schedule so we will be winging it for the rest of the trip and that way if we find a place we like we can stay longer. Airbnb's have a lot to offer especially to stay on a budget!

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow so you must go for sure, you’ll love the history and it’ll be like walking in your ancestors footsteps. Fun planning!
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the warning but when they see my fiance they might dodge out of the way. The Netherlands for me carries family history there. My Great Grandfather whom I never met was from De Bilt, Holland and he was a professional "FOOTBALL" Player too apparently. My Dad's side of the family is partially Dutch hence my last name Van Kooten so a little of the trip is going to where my family is from. My Fiance tells me when we travel my last name will be Pepin of course "French" but on my passport at least for the trip will still be "Van Kooten" as we are leaving pretty much right after the wedding. Retracing our family background is huge in my family we even went to Ellis Island 2 summers ago in New Jersey near New York City. Really Cool!

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the info. Switzerland is beautiful I stayed with my Aunt in Geneva for 12 days and went on a couple drives to different little towns in France. Yvoire was my favourite (medieval town). I also went to the UN headquarters there for a tour. So neat. Its a must to have Swiss Fondue when you are there if you are not allergic to dairy. Greece is also so beautiful was there in high school with EF Tours with my school Athens is a dream and the islands we did a day tour of 3 islands. So so so gorgeous. Highly recommended and can we say the Food! To die for!

• Sarah
    Beginner June 2018 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So exciting!! We also are going to Europe for our honeymoon!

We are leaving the day after our wedding and will be away for almost 4 weeks. We have purchased our initial flight from Vancouver to Paris and then home again, but haven't booked everything in between yet. We are going to Paris, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, and looking at a potential couple days in Greece.

We don't have every detail planned yet, and I was a little nervous as well at first because it seemed a fairly daunting task. But now that we've booked our first flight, everything is just falling into place! It seems backwards to book a flight without a full plan (not my typical style) but its help a lot because now I have 'no turning back mentality' and planning has felt easier because the biggest decision is done!

Big tip is keeping up to date with YVRdeals.com, we got an amazing deal by keeping an eye on the emails.

Hope this helps!!! Smiley smile

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Europe is small and the great thing is that air travel is very affordable if you want to country hope. i recommend Netherlands and Paris, both very historic but modern too in their own ways. Netherlands has some of the best canals, but warning you about cyclists now omg are they cra cra there.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally agree with all of this! Europe may be a lot smaller than most places and easier to travel to several countries but in 2 weeks you do not have that much time once you factor in travel and rest time. You could even just do 2 of those countries in that time if you really wanted to see multiple cities of each place.

I have used eurail.com in the past to book train tickets and it was awesome! Very easy to use and very helpful in planning.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have been considering this! So definitely open to any suggestions you girls and guys have!!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooohhh ill have to make sure i try that!! We didnt actually pay anything for the flights... We booked them on our visa points... But i think they were equivalent to $350 each for westjet Vancouver to Glasgow with 2 layovers... One in toronto and one in halifax.
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That awesome maegan! I have a daughter to get back home to so 2 weeks away will be hard on her as it is as she'll have visits with her dad during this time as well but she's looking forward to spending time with her grandparents. Backpacking would be fun! Switzerland is beautiful went to visit my aunt in Geneva once. The tour of the UN was super neat. Having authentic Swiss fondue is also a must if not allergic to dairy. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your one way flight.
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Lydia! That's very helpful. Never even thought of the rail system.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also going to europe! We arent booking much of the trip before getting there though because our plan is to kinda just backpack around.
    We are going for 8 weeks starting in Scotland, then Ireland, then we dont have much of a plan after that! Italy, germany, netherlands, switzerland are all on our list to name a few. We booked our flights there about 10 months before we leave because they were pretty cheap and i dont know how much the price will fluctuate. We didnt buy return tickets so we are leaving it open to fly home from wherever we end up at the end of 8 weeks haha.
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds like fun!

I'm from Europe and I would actually really recommend staying in the countries closer to Germany if you really wanna see something and have time to enjoy it if you only have two weeks. I think the Netherlands, France, Germany and Poland should probably all be fine, but I would leave out Italy if you'd wanna actually see it for more than just a day, same for going to the anywhere around Ireland / Scotland.

If you wanna go by yourself instead of a group tour kinda thing I'd definitely recommend going by train. You can get to see some of the landscape (not always but some of the parts do perfectly) and it's actually rather fast and easy.
    There's a website on which you can fill out all the locations you wanna go and it'll show you how much your ticket is, you can get that ticket or pre-made tickets straight from their website and use that one ticket to travel around where ever you wanna go (https://www.eurail.com/en/plan-your-trip)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics