Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Essential or Extra: Extra Dessert Options?

Lynnie, on September 17, 2018 at 10:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 22

The wedding dessert game has majorly improved in the last few years! To the point where I asked myself about my wedding, "is just a wedding cake enough?" Are you offering multiple dessert options to your guests? What do you think about having extra dessert options? Is it essential or extra?

14364868-529026980639935-742273194356098

Photo from The Baking Brit in Dartmouth, NS

matt-helaine-wedding-matt-helaine-weddin

Photo from Elle Weddings in Vancouver

Next Question - Essential or Extra: Favors?

22 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on May 14, 2019 at 20:59
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you are serving your cake as the dessert then no other options should be offered. If your venue offers a dessert then use that dessert. If neither of those 2 options are available then a variety of sweets should be available.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is extra not essential. We are skipping the cake. Having dessert served with dinner and our favors are pumpkin pie tarts.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, we will have one dessert.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's an extra. Definitely a higher on the list to do as far as extras go for us. It's nice to have at least a couple options as I am pretty sure it is safe to say out of 80 guest, not everyone is going to like one thing. We also have been looking at an ice cream place that caters and does mix-ins on the spot custom as something (venue allowing) to sub in for the lack of alcohol as we are having a dry wedding.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra. I think it is nice to have, but not essential. I honestly think the only thing that is essential at the reception is that you feed your guests and have enough seats.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. I can’t eat many desserts so I would’ve been okay without serving dessert at all! But it was included in our buffet so the guests got lucky!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essiential. The dessert that the venue serves is very simple and we plan to have our extra dessert come out later in the evening when people might need some more food.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me and my sweet tooth, it's essential to have more than one dessert!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra for sure.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s an extra but we ended up with other options simply because that’s what our venue offers
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra since i have seen lots of dessert wasted on top of the wedding cake. It seems that sugar with alcohol don't go well together.

A variety to keep the selection limited would be ideal instead or going late night buffet.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. By the time dessert comes, many people are too full, or too drunk to worry about eating it. We will have a small cake for us to cut for pictures, and dessert is included in our dinner package for the guests

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dessert is my thing!! So we will definitely have Extra!!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra- More dessert the better usually for me, but I do feel like a lot of it goes to waste and people don't eat it.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Essential! I am a big dessert person! So I want a beautiful a large dessert table lol it's always my favourite part of weddings and other events so I must have a good one.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, definitely. We are having cake/cupcakes. If folks don't want that for a sweet something, we're having a huge candy buffet in place of favours they can snack off of.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Essential! I love variety, so we will definitely have options
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Essential! I'd much rather get some mini treats for people to pick at as they please instead of spending big bucks on a huge cake...
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. we aren't even doing a cake because our venue comes with a dessert for all the meals. we will be doing a chocolate fountain with fruit and things at the end of the night.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra - If your budget allows it, then great. If you're more restricted and can only do 1 type of cake, or other dessert, that's also great.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not an essential at all.

our venue comes with dessert. We are going to have some sort of dessert/candy or something to go with the late night snack. but nothing over the top. Thinking either a small candy bar or some baked goods.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Essential. Not everybody likes cakes so for my wedding we are planning on having one tier for the cake cutting ceremony and then the dessert for everybody else will be assorted dainties and then later on in the night we will have s'mores bar.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics