Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
VIP May 2019 Ontario

Engagement photoshoot, how much to tip?

Stephanie, on July 19, 2018 at 22:04 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17
Hey guys!
Just a quick question! I had an engagement photoshoot tonight with a company we actually won a photoshoot from from the Toronto Bridal Show! Now since the shoot was free... just not sure how much I should tip? The shoot went amazing and my fiance and I were super happy with everything... but I'm just not sure how much to do...
I should also note this is not the company we hired to do our wedding photos, just a side engagement session!
I was thinking $80... maybe $100 to tip? I'm not sure how much a shoot costs either which I dont want to match... but I dont want to give too little when we had such a blast!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on October 2, 2018 at 17:31
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am too so is my FH. So we probably would either way. $20/hr sounds good!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would personally! I'm a tipper though! Maybe not need to do the full 10-15% on top of what you're paying but if you really enjoyed the work they did with you on your shoot day I'm sure they would appreciate a little bit extra! Maybe $20 for each hour you're with them taking photos?
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in a somewhat similar situation? I have a separate photographer doing engagement photos next Saturday so we are paying for it. The reason we have two different photographers is because we're getting married in London and we live in Thunder Bay, where we're doing our engagement shoot. Should we still tip them?

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did the exact same thing! I was like am I super rude that we didn't tip. Had a little sigh of relief when I read the post.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, okay! As long as you like them too then that's what matters most! Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We do have another company booked for the wedding photography!

At the Bridal show I won a free engagement shoot from this company but another company we won a free videography package with them if we booked photos with them too so we went with that!

Will 100% leave amazing feedback for the engagement photos though!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have no idea, though I understand feedback for both sides of tip versus no tip below. Have you considered booking them for your wedding photography? I feel like that would be better than a tip if you're happy with the results and don't already have someone else in mind!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks!

The shoot was yesterday and I CANNOT WAIT to see the pics!!! How will I wait so long ahhhhhhhh

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think $80-$100 is perfect! Especially if they were wonderful to work with. They will definitely appreciate it! So exciting you got your shoot done!! Yay
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I see your point with that! They do intend it to be a FREE service (and honestly I'm expecting to pay for prints after)

I did want to tip just because the session was beyond what I was expecting and I really appreciated everything she did for us!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No don't worry! A win is a win and they expect it to be a free service! (probably hoping for a good review more than anything)

The service we got was just exceptional and I was planning from the start (when we heard we won) that I wanted to give a generous tip!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I think that's fine!

See that was my concern as we aren't using them for the final wedding day photos so I wanted to tip now... but since it was a "free" shoot that I won I wasn't sure how much.. I've heard $300-600 before too so I went off 15% of 600 which is $90... but then I just gave $80 I hope it's fine for her...

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The reason for me to say no tip is beacause you won the photoshoot. The photographer allow themselves to be part of the wedding show giveaways.

The cost of engagement photos can start around $200 onwards depending on who you book with.

We had the package including engagement photoshoot.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This makes me feel like a horrible person...we won a Valentine's Day photoshoot.. it included an hour of make-up, hour of photoshoot in our location of choice, box of chocolates and wine.. I didn't even think to rip either of the photographer or the makeup artist! I mean it was literally the day before we moved from Ontario to BC so we had a lot going on and my mind was all over the place but now I feel kinds guilty lol
    But back to you, I'd definitely say that $80 is a good amount. Most shoots I've seen are typically around $200-$300 so I think around $80 is appropriate.
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Interesting. Following
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg same as Brittany. We've won our engagementshoot and had it in, I think, February. We didn't tip at all..
    We loved it though and loved the photographer, it's not like we disliked anything we just didn't think about it at all!
    We did book him as our wedding photographer though so we can always do it then
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my gosh I totally freaked out for a second... I am having my engagement shoot on Sunday, and I was thinking What?! I need to tip?! (Ours is our wedding photographer, so we will be ripping her with her final payment)...
    I would say $80 is plenty... I think engagement sessions are usually in the $300-600 range...? Someone may correct me. Ours was included in our package...
    Up to you! Maybe a little more if they were really great?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics