Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cris
Newbie July 2023 Ontario

Engagement Party - Who hosts it and when should we have it?

Cris, on August 11, 2019 at 00:48 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10

My partner and I got engaged recently and are planning to get married in two years. Is it too soon to throw an engagement party or should we have it a year before the wedding? I would like to do it soon so that the engagement is still fresh, even though the wedding is two years away.

Also, who normally hosts these? I see different things online (sometimes it's the couple, sometimes it's the couple's parents, sometimes it's friends, etc) and I'm not sure what is the most common. If we were to host it ourselves (maybe booking a restaurant), are we responsible for the cost of everyone's food or are the guests typically expected to pay for themselves?

Thanks!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kathryna, on September 19, 2019 at 06:52
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No it doesnt matter. you can do it whenever! i would host my own cuz i would want to plan it and do it how i like it.

• Vanessa
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We hosted ours fast! But to each their own. ☺️ Mathieu proposed in July of 2018 and we had our engagement party late September.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations. My sister and her husband planned and hosted their engagement party. If someone else offers let them host 😀
  • Francesca
    Frequent user November 2020 Ontario
    Francesca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

We got engaged in 2018 and aren't getting married until 2020. Normally engagement parties are hosted by the couple. But families, friends can throw it as well. We did ours 2 months after our engagement and we just had our close family and friends there to celebrate!

Also - it is not too early to start planning. We already have all our vendors booked and our wedding is June 2020! Better to get a head start so you can get the best deals.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the engagement!!

I would say to have it now! Most brides I talk to (including me) got engaged, waited, then found that it felt like old news to throw an engagement party as the wedding was only a year away anyway.

For engagement parties I would say that it's neither here nor there because it goes back to "who pays for the wedding"? Well... nowadays it's the couple! So I would say that it is up to you and your partner but if the parents are willing to pitch in or help then take all the help you can get!!

If you are planning it at a restaurant then just make sure to have it be more of a "hey, we are engaged! We will be celebrating at ________ and would love if you came with us!" Maybe even give a rough cost per meal so they know what kind of place they are going and how much it would cost?

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your engagement.
    I would say do your engagement party while the engagement is still fresh. It’s great to get both families together and talking before they start planning showers etc.
    I have seen couples host them, parents, or friends. Talk it over with your FH and your parents and see what the best route may be!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only engagement parties I've been aware of have been hosted by one or both sets of parents. I think etiquette always requires that hosts pick up the tab. If cost is an issue, you could do an open house, have some appetizers, and a single toast.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! we got engaged in May 2018 and had our engagement party in July 2018! our wedding is June 2020 and i definitely recommend doing the engagement party right away! it’s a fun way to get excited for all that’s to come!

we hosted our own engagement party - it was just easier. we booked a room at a pub, and we supplied an appetizer buffet for our guests. everyone was then responsible for their own drinks and any other food they wanted to order! it worked GREAT! everyone was happy!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen engagement parties hosted by other people (ie parents) but usually they offer to host rather than the couple asking them.

Whoever hosts the party will be expected to provide food and drink the guests. You may or may not receive gifts at an engagement party. I’ve seen it go both ways. If people suspect there will be more events, Jack and Jill, shower plus the wedding, they may not give a gift for the engagement party. So be prepared for that.

we didn’t have an engagement party. we’re just having the bridal shower and the wedding.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The couple should definitely be hosting the engagement party. Showers and other events are generally put on by other people, but not most engagement parties. I would do it soon, the idea is to celebrate the engagement so I don't see it necessary you should wait regardless when you are planning to get married.. it's up to you guys.

as far as cost, people go to parties/events expecting to be fed. You can ask for any gifts to be monetary so if you are paying for everything yourselves then gifts would help cover it, but I would not host it at a restaurant and expect people to pay for themselves, that may not go over well with your guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics