Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

Engagement party - is it a must-do?

Cliodhna, on January 20, 2020 at 09:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 30

Do you think it’s essential to have a party to celebrate an engagement? Or are you happier to skip this event and get straight into wedding planning?

Is an engagement party a must-do to you?

Engagement party - is it a must-do? 1

Photo from Pinterest

Next Question: Getting ready outfits?

Back to the Beginning: What is a must-do to you?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Natalia, on August 25, 2020 at 18:33
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped this completely. It wasn't something on our list even in all truthfulness. If someone else would have offered, we wouldn't have refused, but no one did and we didn't want to plan it Smiley xd

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to skip the engagement party. Everyone was thrilled when we broke the news but we decided to spend the money for an engagement party on the actual wedding.

• Jenny
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on if you have a long engagement? I'm scrambling to even get the wedding done in 8 months, so no energy to plan additional things.

• Shauna
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're skipping it. It just seemed like an extra cost and another thing to plan. We celebrated individually with our friends and family when we saw them afterwards. We're awkward about being the center of attention so for us the wedding will be enough lol Smiley tongue it's an individual preference but I really don't think it's a must-do. We didn't do engagement photos either.
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a low key engagement party after Christmas. Most of our wedding party doesn't live in our city so it was a nice way for everyone to meet each other. There is a chance they dont all see each other again until the rehearsal dinner! We just kept it close family and our wedding party. It wasnt expensive but it was nice to all be together.
  • Lauren
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a super casual engagement party in our backyard last spring. Overall it didn't cost us very much at all. I will say that I wouldn't trade that day for anything.. Having the people I love most come together for my FH and I was so touching, it was maybe my favourite day of 2019 next to the day I got engaged!! I think it's easy to skip but I think that people are worried about making it too fancy and having it cost too much.. You can do it super casually and only invite the people closest to you, and it will be the most special day ever Smiley heart

• Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping this part. We don’t want the extra cost of hosting something before the wedding
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t have one. From proposal to wedding we had 9 months and felt like I wanted to jump right into wedding planning. A family offered to host one closer to the wedding but we just didn’t see the point with the wedding fast approaching. I think it’s nice but not a must.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not a must. We didn’t have one
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We combined our first housewarming party with our engagement party. It was perfect!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't know that it's a must, but I think it was great because his side of family/friends got to meet mine and it was really fun. We were lucky my mom and grandma hosted so it wasn't our budget
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I skipped an engagement party. we wanted to save the money and put it towards the wedding

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't really have one and didn't really feel the need for it. FH's family had mine over for dinner almost a year after we got engaged and that was fine for us.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé proposed when we were hosting a family birthday in front of all our family... therefore I personally didn’t see a need for an engagement party since everyone close to us was already there and got to witness the proposal
  • M
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it is essential. However, I would like to have one with our closest friends. We were engaged in November 2018 and our wedding is scheduled for August 2020. Time has flown by and we haven't really had a chance to celebrate our engagement with our family and friends. So while it is not essential for us, for example, it would be nice. Nothing extravagant either - just a simple dinner and an opportunity to make more happy memories with those we have grown up with and love very much before we walk down the aisle.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a must do but we did take our parents and siblings out for dinner

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a must do. The costs involving this part of the party would be proportioned to the cost of the wedding.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a must do - however future MIL really wanted to throw us one so she did about 6 months after our engagement. It was a really nice laid back day!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a must do - but we had two a year after getting engaged/a year before the wedding. We had a long 2 year engagement so it was nice to celebrate halfway through to get people excited about the wedding.

We had one with DH's family a month after our nephew was born and one with my family around my parent's 30th anniversary. So we shared the spotlight a bit lol

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were ok on skipping this. It wasn’t a priority for us.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We never had an official one. We had a bbq with our closest friends when we got back from the trip that we got engaged on so that was kind of our engagement party.

I wanted to have a big one but it kept getting put aside and now I feel like it's too late (we've been engaged almost two years and the wedding is in October).

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're not going to bother. We're been a couple for 8 years.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t have one but I kinda wish we did. We avoided it because we weren’t sure if there’d be drama with the small guest list and didn’t want to make things awkward
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! must do for sure!! we had such a long engagement - 25 months - that it was so much fun to celebrate being engaged and enjoying the engagement part of it!!
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had one for my family cause some extended family hadn’t met my hubby yet. It wasn’t a necessity though.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not a must. We had a few people over on a Friday night to tell them in person, but otherwise it was just a Friday night with friends!

I think it's just an added expense, and extra work, and an extra expense for your guests too.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NOPE! And we didn't have one either! We got engaged Dec. 30th 2017 and it took a week to announce it because my DH had to ask my Father for my hand in marriage (I asked him to marry me) - so then by the time that it was a thought it was already a month in and I didn't feel like it was still fresh.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a must do for us. We skipped it. We got engaged while we were on vacation, so it was a week long party for us. I think if we would have been home and if was in the summer, we may have had a little BBQ

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't have an official one. We celebrated with our parents the day after we got engaged since it was mother's day. So it was nice to combine the two celebrations and our moms said it was the best gift we could've given them lol. Then we hosted a small BBQ celebration with our closest friends later on
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me, it isn’t a must do. We didn’t think it was necessary - it would just be another party we’d have to plan and pay for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics