Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2020 Alberta

Engagement

Mackenzie, on December 17, 2019 at 09:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 52
How long were you engaged before you got married and if it was more than a year or less than year what was the reason? Trying to figure out if we should have our wedding in 2020 or 2021 ( we just got engaged on Friday the 13th! Lol)

52 Comments

Latest activity by Beebride, on February 3, 2020 at 18:52
  • Beebride
    Newbie May 2021 Nova Scotia
    Beebride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged April 2019 after being together for 5 years and are getting married May 2021😀
  • Kayley
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Kayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got engaged December 28, 2019 and our wedding in May 16th, 2020 lol.

We didn't see a point in waiting. It's what works for us! Just do what you and your fiance want! I honestly planned my wedding in two weeks. Everything is done. A short engagement and planning a wedding in 4 1/2 months is totally doable.

Good luck!

• Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have been engaged for 4 years as well! And i have no quams about waiting as long as we did. We both decided at the same time that we were ready to take the step of planning a wedding and I'm happy with how it's working out!

• Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged about 4 years ago Smiley laugh We wanted to wait until we both felt the timing was right. This summer, we bought a home and are both feeling good about where we are with our jobs, so we decided to choose a date. We picked one 18 months from then to give us plenty of time to save up for everything we really wanted.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged October 2016 and are getting married this September. Four years is a long engagement but we were both in school and wanted to work a bit and get some money before the big day
  • T
    Curious July 2020 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did things a bit different. Got engaged Aug 3rd 2019. Then decided in November 2019 we were going to plan our wedding for July 2020 lol! We’re spontaneous and thrive under pressure so yeah! Totally depends on you right? Congrats btw!!
  • Macy
    Newbie October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Macy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged December 10th, we have chosen July 10th 2021 as our wedding date, as that’s the day we started our journey together. I was also told it was bad luck if I didn’t choose a date in the first week, but we decided a date with meaning in the future, this summer we are expecting baby number 2 therefore we needed to postpone wedding to next!
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just got engaged Nov 2nd Smiley smile. Originally I wanted to wait till 2021 or 2022 so we could get married on the day of our anniversary where it falls on a Friday or Saturday, but we didn't see the point in waiting so we are having a small ceremony on our anniversary July 2nd, 2020 Smiley smile.
  • N
    Beginner April 2021 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! We just got engaged Dec 14th! We are choosing April 2021. I knew I didn't want a summer wedding and I figured Fall 2020 would be booked up solid for vendors and I wouldn't like not having much options. Spring 2020 is too soon. It worked out well though because we are getting married on our dating anniversary, 13 years later! Our engagement will be 16 months, not really by choice but by by no other choice lol. Had he proposed earlier in the year, I would have probably chose to do it Spring 2020.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged 2017.. had two kids since then. So wedding got postponed til Aug 2020
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We'll be engaged for 18 months when we get married (engaged January 2019, wedding August 2020). I wanted to get married originally spring of 2020, and he was okay to wait longer to save money for the wedding, but we won our wedding photos, and the contest was for a 2020 wedding, so that took care of a big cost and deciding what year to get married.
  • Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your engagement! We are getting married about 14 months after we got engaged Smiley smile
  • Erica
    Beginner November 2020 Ontario
    Erica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yay!!! Congrats, I just got engaged Friday Dec 13th as well!!! We are currently looking for venues, but will most likely wed Fall 2020. Reason being is that I want chiildren ASAP as I just turned 35 on dec 6th, so I'm hoping for a Fall Wedding so I can have a Summer/Fall baby lol.

• Briana
    Curious April 2024 Ontario
    Briana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh I love Friday the 13th, CONGRATS! Smiley laugh
    My FH and I got engaged Dec 15th 2018 and chose April 18th, 2020 because I always wanted at least a 1 year engagement. I'm the type to do a lot of research and change my mind a million times. If I could do it over again I'd probably arrange our engagement to only be a year or less because I found it overwhelming with having so much time. So many vendors said I was reaching out too early and to wait until January 2020 OR I had ample opportunity to change my mind which bit me in the butt a few times.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were engaged 2 years lol!

Our reasoning was mostly due to us living 18 hours away from where we got married, so figured might need a little extra time planning everything. I could've easily done it in a year and get married in 2018 but it would've been a very stressful year.

We also had a lot of family events in 2018. It was my parent's 30th anniversary, my mom turned 60 and had a party, FIL had open heart surgery, SIL gave birth to our nephew... it would've been a lot to add a wedding to that mix.

I would ask yourself if you could realistically plan it all in less than a year. People have pulled it off, but is it worth that added stress that an extra year will easily offset? It felt like a long engagement (because it was!) but now those 2 years feel like nothing after the wedding.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got engaged years ago 2013. We just waited till we had the money to have the wedding we want. We have the kids already, we have our house, we don't need to save for any big expenses. It may be backwards but it worked for us
  • Michelle
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged 13 months after we met and will get married 13 months after we got engaged...almost to the day actually Smiley smile.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was engaged for 11 months. It was really nice to have all that time to plan our wedding! I would encourage you to look into venues that you would want and if they are open for the date you want this year, go for it girl! I know a lot of times venues can book a year to two years in advance so if that is something really important to you, look into it before you decide on a date! Smiley smile congrats!!!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats!

We had an unofficial engagement for a short time of 1 1/2 years. I have a friend who just proposed to his boyfriend recently and they are having a long engagement themselves. You choose what works best for you and how you want to make it last before your day comes.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged dec 8/18 and are getting married aug 8/20 so about a year and 8 months but we wanted some time to save up as we are paying for the wedding ourselves. so its totally up to you. however lots of vendors are already booked for this coming summer so keep that in mind if youre looking for specific vendors

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Mackenzi and Congratulations on your engagement. How exciting. 😊

We are still engaged, when we are married it will be 18 months. He proposed in March of 2019 we are getting married in September 2020.

A year and a half is a good amount of time to plan a wedding with out feeling pressured. The really good and well known venues and vendors book up faster then you think.

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started dating in 2012 and got engaged 2014. Our wedding was supposed to be last year year but I ended up in the mental hospital so 2020 it is. The length was a few reasons. I had to move across the province shortly after we started dating. I moved back in 2016. Then it became about money. Even now we are struggling to pay for it. For him a big reason was he didnt feel ready which is his way of saying he was scared of the change. He has autism so this is very daunting to him. So much so I have had to time the ceremony and map out every second to give him some peace of mind. He wants to do it but hes scared but now we are getting closer and hes a bit less afraid.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged on Dec. 30th 2017 just 10 months into dating - then we got married on October 5th 2019 with 1 year and 9 months of engagement for a total of being together for 2 years and 7 months before the wedding.

We put it off till 2019 since not only did we want to buy a house first, but my DH's cousin was already set to get married in Sept. 2018 which ended up not being that big of a deal since his other cousin got engaged after us and then put their wedding a few months before ours.... so... it's okay - ours was better Smiley tongue

• K
    Beginner July 2022 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally depends on you both! What you need to get done beforehand, if you want to take your time putting things together. There's no wrong span of time. My cousin was engaged this time last year, they are set for fall 2021. But my brother proposed during the fall this year and they set for summer 2021. Myself, we're waiting 2 ish years.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your recent engagement and welcome to the weddingwire community!

My fiance and I are having an engagement that's a little shorter than 2 1/2 years. We weren't in much of a rush because we've been together for 10 years (8 1/2 at the time of engagement) and we wanted to have some time to save money so that we could have a really great wedding.

We're 10 months away and it's flying by, I always say I don't know how anyone can plan a wedding in a year but that's just because I'm finding it pretty time consuming and we both work long hours

• Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A year and 4 months. depends on how long you need to plan if your planning your self or if you are paying someone to plan it for you. I am doing everything myself so I wanted lots of time to complete tasks without feeling stressed

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will have been engaged four years when we marry, but we started planning 2.5 years out. I liked having the time to do things one at a time rather than try to tackle multiple vendors at once. My stress levels couldn’t handle that!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that was the only hard part for us - was saving and paying for the wedding while also saving for the house.

We thought we could buy something this winter but it's looking more like May/June just before the wedding.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well happy planning! Also congrats!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement!! We got married on a Friday the 13th lol!

Our engagement was a year and 9 months. We were looking for an autumn wedding, and 9 months felt like too short a time to get everything together, so we aimed for fall of the following year. This also gave us more time to save money.

Venue availability will greatly dictate your wedding date. Most couples book their venue more than a year in advance. Not sure what time of year you're wanting to get married, but you'll probably find its slim pickings for 2020 already.

• M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are saving for a house too! We want to be in a house by next fall but if we get married this July then that won’t happen lol
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I want to enjoy planning it and watch it all come together 🥰

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics