Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat.
Curious July 2020 Ontario

Engaged and Clueless

Kat., on February 18, 2018 at 11:16 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Hi all - I'm recently engaged !! I'm completely clueless when it comes to this and I'm getting freaked out ! We are on an extremely tight budget first of all so a wedding planner isn't really in the mix ! What do I do?! This app is great but I feel like I need something else to help me plan ... the before steps of this app ?? Stag and doe ? Raising money ? Asking the best men and brides maids, engagement party? How long do we start booking things in advance ?? Ahhhhhhhhh any suggestions or resources you can share would be amazing !!!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kat., on February 20, 2018 at 20:20
  • Kat.
    Kat. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Insanity. I'm from Cambridge/Kitchener area and it's nuts how many places are already booked up for 2019!!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

May - September are the most popular months so some venues will charge more for weddings during those months.

It would be best to reach out to the venues to ask. You can also look into Friday or Sunday weddings which usually are less expensive than Saturdays.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The to-do list on this site is a good starting point. I would pick a season you want to marry in (summer is the most popular by far) and go from there. Ask your friends and family if they know people who could provide certain services to you at a discount. Look into venues soon as they book up fast and keep in mind that wedding dresses can take 6-8 months to arrive.

Also use all the advice given on here already.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can go to a bridal show in your area, do it! Tons of vendors there and they are willing to answer any question! I went to one in Ontario years ago where planners set up sample tables and other sample decor. It was helpful for my friend for ideas.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is a lot to accomplish from the moment you get engaged. To help better, there is a wedding planner you can look online and track one by one crossing off as they are taken care of. It does guide you to know what needs being done and researching vendors each catogory.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    May-September will be the most expensive hands down lol. When researching venues, a lot of them had May-September pricing, then they had October-April pricing. If you pick a month that’s less expensive that will seriously impact the price at the venue. ALSO, if you choose a Friday or Sunday that can also affect the price (or if you choose a weekday) since Saturday will be the most expensive.

I agree with Catherine about using “The Knot” planner to get organized - it has been a lifesaver! Between that and basically Googling everything else, I feel fairly confident in my own wedding planning abilities (I was definitely like you too when I first got engaged lol!).

• Kat.
    Kat. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh Courtney ! Amazing. Good to starting points for sure !! We are lucky and have a DJ already (friend) so thats one off the major list. I didnt realize venues booked up so quickly !!!! Going to get on that this week !! We Are OK with anywhere between May and September - do prices fluxuaye? Are there certain months that might be more expensive do you know?
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

These are the first things I started with:

1. Pick a ROUGH date to get married (this may have to change a little bit depending on venue availability

2. Have a ROUGH idea on the amount of people you'd like to have (ie. I knew I wanted less than 100)

3. Talk with your fiance to decide on a budget idea. If your families are helping, knowing their idea for contributions would be helpful.

Once you know these then i would start looking for a venue. Typically they book up about a year in advance as do some photographers and other popular vendors. I'd get all your main vendors into place before worrying about anything else:

1. Venue

2. Photographer

3. DJ

4. Florist

• Kat.
    Kat. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ah I didn't see that part before (the to do list) amazing ! Thank you
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you checked out the “to do” list on the app? It’s a great starting point. Also, if it’s in budget, there are some great wedding planning binders at the book store. I’ve been using the one by “The Knot” and it’s been really helpful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics