Jade
Curious June 2020 Alberta

Elope and then reception later?

Jade, on March 26, 2020 at 09:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 44
Saved Save
Hi all! Our wedding is June 26 and with all the craziness going on, I doubt we’ll be able to keep our date. I wanted to know if some brides have considered either eloping or having a super small ceremony with only an officiant and parents (if your area allowed that) and then having the reception at a later date with the bridal party, cake cutting, first dance, the whole nine yards. We really wanted to celebrate with fam and friends and getting married in June is important to us and we don’t want to wait.
On the plus side, you’d get to where your dress twice! Just something I’m considering at the moment with the ever changing situation. What are your thoughts?

44 Comments

• Liga
    Frequent user June 2020 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Thank you drear Jade!Smiley shame

• Isabella
    Newbie June 2020 British Columbia
    Isabella ·
    • Dispute
    I think it’s a good plan! Our date is June 5th and we’re still waiting to make a call until I’m finished with this semester of school.

But... our back up plan as of now is to still elope (with a super small group, just our pastor and a couple witnesses) and then do EVERYTHING as planned whenever this blows over. I’m not sure if it’s strange at all but we’d still even have our ceremony and reception and just change the wording of the ceremony to not say we’re getting married but to say we’re still wanting our friends and family to be apart of our promises to each other and celebrate with us.
    If we have to reschedule, we’re hoping to have a new dream and not have to lose much of the plans we worked so hard on for a year.
  • Neg
    Newbie June 2020 Alberta
    Neg ·
    • Dispute
    Yes! I’m on this too! Getting married this June 27 still whatever happens but planning to have the celebration/reception the next year.Smiley smile
  • Amelia
    Featured October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    Our wedding is planned for October, and we are waiting until July to make a decision. Our biggest worry is that his parents won't be able to enter Canada from the states and it doesn't seem fair to carry on without them.

I'm actually loving the idea of eloping, and having our "reception" next year as an anniversary party. Our plans have always been for a smaller celebration so we're ok with having the essential people like witnesses, officiant, and photographer. Honestly I think my fiance is relieved!
    Planning a few backup plans has reenergized my wedding planning bug. I've started to think about who could do my hair and makeup if places are still closed, and about how cool our photos could be in our deserted city centre.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    This is officially what were doing! eloping on our original date of 06/06/2020 and our reception 10/10/2020
  • Ashley
    Featured August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute

In ontario we cant have gatherings of more than 5 people so if we have to postpone we have to pick another date. im hoping it wont come to this im so upset!! we spent so much time and money planning this im so upset!!!

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Our photographer agreed to stick around and take pictures of just the two of us in our backyard for a bit. I ordered a cake from our favourite bakery that's still offering takeout/pickup orders, so we'll eat cake and drink some margaritas. We'll likely facetime or zoom our family in our wedding outfits (he has a huge extended family so that will take some time). We're going to order takeout for dinner from our favourite local restaurant. Then a group of our friends organized a zoom call for everyone to participate in, so we'll drink and chat in the evening.

• Jade
    Curious June 2020 Alberta
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I’m not really sure! I want pictures after the ceremony with our parents and of just us, and then possibly a dinner if our venue would let us have a small gathering. It’s hard to think of things to fill up a whole day!
  • K
    Newbie July 2020 British Columbia
    Kelsi ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

What are you planning on doing after your ceremony! I'm trying to figure out how to still make the full day feel special.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute

That's what we're doing! Go for it if you want to get married. It will make you a lot less anxious to have a back up plan list this. We're eloping this Saturday Smiley smile

• Agnes
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Agnes ·
    • Dispute

We are doing a similar thing. We hope to be able to keep our May 23 date, get married with just parents and officiant, then have the big wedding and reception later. The second wedding is essentially a "vow-renewal" I guess since we hope to be already married. But hey, lots of people have 2 or more weddings, often I've heard of couples that have a wedding for the bride's culture, then a second one for the groom's culture. We'll just be having a small wedding, then a wedding that includes family and friends. Sadly I don't have alterations done on my dress, so I plan to wear my super cute rehearsal dinner white dress as the first, small ceremony dress. Not ideal, but hey, I never thought I'd be the type to have 2 dresses and yet, here we are! Two dresses, two weddings, (two wedding nights *wink wink*). It'll all work out, no matter what we are determined to get married!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    This is exactly what we’re planning on doing! “eloping” on 6/6, then most likely postponing the reception. we haven’t made the final decision, but this is what it’s looking like
  • Havier
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Havier ·
    • Dispute
    With all the craziness going on we are also ooking into postponing our reception, but keeping the ceremony with just our parents and siblings type deal.
    We have 400 people expected at the reception and I don't forsee that being doable even if it does end up returning to normal soon because of the risk of the virus returning over the next 18-24 months and gatherings that big are strongly not recommended.
    We have found that most vendors would rather reschedule to next year than to cancel and loose business entirely. This has been a real blessing as we might be able to keep everything and just change the year on our reception. We can still do photos of the wedding party, and families, and you're totally right about getting to wear the dress twice! Plus, it gives the speakers some extra time to come up with their speaches Smiley winking
  • Lise
    Newbie August 2020 British Columbia
    Lise ·
    • Dispute
    Hey there, our wedding is August 1st. We were supposed to have a 230 person wedding with a 120 person henna party the day before. We are cutting it down to 9 people, just our immediate family on the same date at my moms house, which we originally wanted to do but our guest count wouldn’t allow. We will have a party next year with the 230 people (or less) but will not be doing the whole shebang. We are thinking of having a party, being introduced as the mr. and Mrs., first dances, cake cutting etc. We haven’t thought much about it but that’s our initial plan.
  • Mara
    Frequent user August 2020 Alberta
    Mara ·
    • Dispute
    We did this - got legally married in February, and wedding celebration is in August. We originally planned on getting married in August like normal, but we decided we wanted to get married sooner. We didn't dress up or do anything for the legal wedding, but I'm happy we are getting the paperwork and name change over with now. My biggest worry is our little secret getting out as friends and most of our family don't know 😬
  • Shannon
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute

Eloping and partying later is a very clever idea for the people who may need it. I will suggest that to my friends who may need to cancel. Smiley ring

Comment on this discussion

Related articles