Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genis
Frequent user January 2019 Alberta

Dress Code needed on invitations?

Genis, on July 28, 2018 at 10:19 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 26

Hi lovely people!

FH and I are deciding whether we need to state a dress code on our invitations? My concern is that my bridal party, parents, etc will be quite nicely dressed, in gorgeous dresses & suits & ties and someone will come in jeans and runners hahhaah

Do we think we need to have a dress code on the invitations?

What did you all do? or are going to do?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Jurenda, on August 13, 2018 at 15:09
  • Jurenda
    Newbie November 2018 Ontario
    Jurenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If dress code is a big deal - then put it on your invitation...otherwise you can post it on your wedding website. Most people know how to dress for weddings....but if it is black tie - please put that on! Smiley smile

• Katrina
    Curious July 2020 Ontario
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having the same dilemma my dress is in a very informal spot but we do plan on making it a little more formal my bridal party myself my fiance and the parents of the bride and groom will be dressed up very formally for our photos but considering that the ceremony and reception is held up north in a backyard of a family member I know I am very worried people will dressed more casually but I do want to have a more formal look to everything as well as people be comfortable and relaxed as it is going to be outdoors.
    it's a huge dilemma of mine as well I did recently go to a wedding where on the invitations it said heels and ties are not required, although when I got there almost everyone was wearing ties and a nice jacket or shirt and the women were all dressed in beautiful summer dresses of all kinds.
    I don't want to make it so vague that people come very casual but I don't want to let them feel like they have to dress to the nines or red carpet
    It's very tough finding that balance and also finding a nice way to let your guests know that you would like them to step it up a notch.
    I thought for attire we might say "dress to impress" that way depending on the person they can take that in their own way they can either dress up in their way with a semi casual comfortable feel or go all out if they choose to do so.
    by no means do I want someone to feel uncomfortable or have to wear a gala dress if they do not want to but I do hope that people will dress up for the occasion considering I want to get a lot of fun photos with my friends and family.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want to be on the safe sides, yes, I'd include it in the save-the-date, invitation or R.S.V.P.

• Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of people include this information on their website if they have one.

I work in diplomacy, and most of the invitations we receive have the dress code listed, so etiquette wise, I see nothing wrong with letting people know what type of event it is.

I will probably end up putting it on the invitations because I have some guests that I know won't check online.

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re getting married at the Westin, which is the most gorgeous hotel I’ve ever set foot in, marble everywhere and a dark wood panelling, it’s just such a stunning venue that we barely need decor! I’m not worried about my family, but my fiancé’s family is from very rural New Brunswick, which concerns me about how they’re going to be dressed. If I put black tie, I’m hoping people at least show up in nice clothes, I’ve just seen it happen at other weddings where they request cocktail attire and people show up super underdressed.
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We don't even have the website haha so thats an issue!!!

• Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OOOOH i am so intrigued! where are you getting married?

We aren't having a website haha so I am concerned as our venue is quite expensive and fancy being lake louise but I like to have faith in the family that they will dress well. haha. also some of my family are from the country and probably don't own dress pants, as long as they aren't all holy and ripped , I guess in the end i don't care that much because I would rather them just be there with me as I only see them once a year if I am lucky Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be so nervous about what people will be wearing since it's just going to reflect badly upon them. With that being said, I'm not putting anything regarding the dress code on our invitations.

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am including any info that I think my fiancé’s family will ignore or miss anywhere I possibly can!! The words “black tie” and “adults only event” will be on our invites, website at least twice, and I’ve also asked the in-laws to start mentioning both of those things now.
    Our venue is classy, stunning and over the top expensive but worth it, if I see someone in jeans at our wedding I might actually burst into tears, so I’m just nipping that in the bud asap!!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have an FAQ section to our wedding website where I addressed dress code for our venue. It's an upscale restaurant so the last thing my fiancée and I want is an underdressed guest.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't put the dress code on the invitation but we did put it on our website and also told people when we saw them.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know right?! You should've seen my face when I saw him arrive. Priceless.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do not think you need to put it on the invite, if anything you can list it on your website. I always just assume I need to dress up for a wedding unless I have been told otherwise (even then I still dress up). If people are not sure they will most likely ask someone else as well like you or your wedding party. I will not be listing it anywhere though.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't write a dress code and everyone came dressed up! I think most people know to dress up for a wedding. If they don't, they don't have to be in too many pictures!

• Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyones opinions!!

Lots to think about! I love this page! it's been such a help while planning our wedding! I am so thankful for all the brides/grooms & people on here Smiley smile Smiley heart

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg sweat pants and flannel is just something that should not be worn together ever. Let alone at a wedding.

Seriuosly some people have no class.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly. Nice dress jeans are one thing. Uggs and pj pants on the other hand should never be worn to a wedding.
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you know what, I instantly regretted the jean thing because my uncle is a farmer and I know his best dressed is jeans and a button up- and I realise I am ok with this because I just want him to be there!! I don’t expect him to go out and buy a suit!
    In short I shouldn’t have said the jeans thing because truly I don’t even think I care that much!! Basically I should say I don’t want anyone coming in uggs & pjs hahahaSmiley laugh

Thanks for the reality check!! Smiley heart
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I went to a wedding last month, and someone showed up in sweat pants and a flannel shirt. He is a guest on our list as he’s a family member of my fiancé, and my family will not tolerate that, I will not tolerate that. So we will be putting the dress code on the wedding website.
  • Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is funny that you mention dress code because it is something that I never thought of! Growing up it was just implied that if you are going to a wedding men wear suits and women wear dresses/skirts/pant suits, some kind of formal attire. I don't think that I am going to mention anything personally, I am just going to assume that most, if not everyone will dress somewhat formally.

If you are concerned about what some guests might wear then definitely make a small mention of it on your invitation or wedding website.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our wedding invitations we did not put a dress code. We are having an outdoor wedding and it's likely to hit a high of 29. I come from a farming background so most likely some will come dressed in their best cowboy boots, etc. Most people know how to dress to go out. My dad does where jeans and a nice dress shirt when he goes out. In this case they will be black and I'm okay with people dressing to be comfortable. Our wedding party know that in the evening after everything is said and done for the party they are welcome to wear whatever is comfortable because lets face it. It's going to be hot.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah give a mention for the dress code. I thought attire was a given since it's a wedding but some guests are just weird. Also important if you are having a black tie event.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I put semi formal attire on my invites. I had the same fear. I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and the guests where wearing like khakis and camouflage. Because of this it made me out the semi formal attire on the invites.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We put our website on our details insert, and put much more extensive detail on the website. Our attire request is formal. It's a formal, evening, mid-January wedding. I dont expect everyone to be in a gown and 3 piece suit, but I hope a formal request will balance out so people just know not to wear jeans and tshirts.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can state you want cocktail attire (or something similar) but you still have to be prepared for people to wear what they want to wear. Keep in mind that if a guest wearing jeans to your wedding is your biggest concern your doing alright and you won’t even notice or care on the day. Unless they have dress pants or a cocktail dress in their closet already a lot of people won’t go buy something they’ll never wear again just for your wedding (except for maybe parents and bridal party). And a lot of guys don’t own dress pants, slacks, or a suit Unless they need to wear one on a regular basis.

I initially like you didn’t want anyone wearing jeans to the wedding but was told it will probable happen. But then I put myself in the guests position and for some of them having a nice pair of denim is dressing up. Guests will put in effort to look nice for the day but that’s going to be different for everyone.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had put a dress code for sure to let everyone know whst was the event. Wedding was Semi-Formal as ot was not super dressy. Reception was Bkack Tie Affair meaning suits and dresses/gowns wear. Ita nice to know what to expect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics