Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hailey
Beginner May 2022 Ontario

Dress alterations ! help

Hailey, on May 14, 2019 at 09:57 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 20
I bought my dress from an outlet, and I do love it. But the more I look at it the more I'm worried about the color. Is the underlay too dark? Is it possible to fix that in alterations?
Any opinions or advice is appreciated!
Thanks so much!

Dress alterations ! help 1

20 Comments

Latest activity by Dani, on December 17, 2019 at 12:50
  • Dani
    Newbie September 2021 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hailey!
    One of my best friends got married in this exact dress, and to be honest when I first saw photos I had the same thought, but in real life HOLY MOLY was it ever beautiful!!!! gorgeous gorgeous

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't change a thing! This is a GORGEOUS dress and you have the body to pull this off. I adore the detail on the back train and I agree that the underlay color makes the details POP right out. Just stunning! Enjoy your day Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too dark at all, this dress is beautiful. I also do not think they would be able to change colour on it, or any part for that matter... I wouldn't though... it's gorgeous just how it is. Keep in mind the lighting of the room you were in and took the pictures in as well... In brighter light it won't look as dark

• Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have almost the same dress and this is what I like: that it is darker below the white lace. We can see more the details 😍 your dress is beautiful!!😍
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is the back.
    I appreciate the comments, I'm feeling better about my decision

Dress alterations ! help 2
  • Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It looks very elegant and classy. The dark underlay brought out the sexiness of the dress.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I should’ve known!! I’ve been looking at their dresses (and Sottero & Midgley) and really love that style gown. They have quite a few like it
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, it's a Maggie Sottero !
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is a lovely gown. May I ask the designer?
  • Audra
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Audra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stunning! Speak with your photographer and ask them if they have any reference photos of brides they’ve photographed with a dark underlay to their dress. There’s so much they can do playing with lighting to make that top layer just pop. The dress is beautiful. Yes you can change it in alterations but keep in mind they’ll be sewing a new underlay. It’ll be costly, as well and time consuming, so make sure you factor that into your budget.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it looks amazing - and the colour? Please!! The way I see it, if the dress comes in that colour, if the dress makes you feel like a bride, or if that's the dress you simply plan on wearing when walking down the aisle - it looks like a wedding dress to me!

I think the underlay makes the white details pop that much more which is stunning by the way!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The underlay is definitely not too dark at all! It really looks gorgeous on you!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen the dark underlay trending with so many dress styles right now!! I think it's gorgeous!

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That dress is gorgeous! I’ve had a couple friends walk down the aisle with dresses similar with that color underlay. When it’s outside, the light should make it less dark!
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for the positivity! I really appreciate it we are getting married outside so hopefully sunlight will give it some different looks!
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others - it really is gorgeous, and the darker colour shows the beautiful detail of the lace.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the dress looks really good.
    I agree with precious post that this is trending right now.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The colour underneath is trending right now. I really love the detail on your dress.

that being said, if you wanted to replace it, it would likely be very expensive because the seamstress would have to take the dress apart.

my dress had different options when I purchased it. So if you really really don’t like it, I would look up the designer and see if you can order it in whatever colour you want.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this dress is beautiful! And definitely not too dark. I honestly don't think you could get it fixed because they would have to pretty much take the dress apart and put a new lighter underlay and most places will not do that unless they are the designer of the dress and even if they could do it it would cost a lot! But like I said, I don't think it's too dark I think it's absolutely gorgeous!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Hailey!

The dress looks amazing and honestly I don't think it looks too dark. It looks great and with different lighting during the day could make it look lighter at times. That color underneath tends to be trending and would be fine!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics