Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katie
Curious February 2020 Ontario

Down the aIsle to i do

Katie, on November 30, 2019 at 22:34 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 15

What do you guys think about walking yourself down the isle? Is it disrespectful to your parents to not ask one or the other?

Who has walked themselves down the isle?

I am stressing about this as my mom asked me tonight... and I am just not sure.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on December 4, 2019 at 17:03
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not inviting my bio dad as we have a bad relationship and hes not the best person. my stepdad and step mom will be walking me as my stepdad raised me and his new wife has been the mother i always wanted. i felt bad about not having my mom do it and i wasnt even sure i was going to invite her because again our relationship isnt the greatest. when i told her she wouldnt be walking me she felt pretty bad because my sister didnt even invite her to her wedding. she gave me an idea because i had told her my gramie was going to do it but not anymore and i felt bad that she didnt have a special part because my gramie has always been my rock. my mom suggested she walks down with my gramie. so now my mom and gramie will walk followed by my MOH and DOH (dog of honor) then me and my step-parents. they will also be the only ones in the front row. 2 on each side and then the row behind them will be larger

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I didn't walk myself down the aisle I am very traditional and even had my parents give me away (officiant asked who gives this woman and my parents said "we do").

I would say that it may hurt their feelings if they always thought they would be given that opportunity but at the end of the day it is up to you. Just have to consider how important it is to you to walk alone vs. giving the option to your parents if it doesn't make much difference to you.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to go by myself. mine is partially due to my parents potentially squabbling but mostly for myself. They shouldn’t take offence to what you pick at the end of the day. Parents sometimes need to be reminded that it isn’t about them 😛
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was planning to walk by myself in the beginning.. but then my dad decided to step up and be part of my life more and actually make a real effort with me and my man so I decided he could walk me. but I totally would have went alone. don't worry about it girl Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning to walk down together. I don't think it's disrespectful at all to do what YOU want to do, it's your day! The tradition of a parent walking their daughter down the aisle came from a time where women were property and "given" to their husband as his property, so I just didn't feel any need to honour it. To me I'm 37 and we have been living together for years and I've been out of my parents house since I was 17 so it seems a little silly to be "given away" by them.

• Kelsey
    Curious July 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My partner and I are both walking down alone. Aside from the icky feelings I get with the whole "giving away" narrative, neither of us are super close to our parents.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly ive seen brides walk down the isle themselves. its nice cuz they get all the attention and photos of them and no one stepping on their dress. the choice is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. my dad passed away so i was thinking of walking down the isle alone!

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's important to find a balance between what feels good for you but also what is going to honour your parents, if that is the dynamic between you. Have they been dreaming of walking you down the aisle? It's something a lot of parents look forward to! I was going to walk myself down, as my dad is not involved in my life, but when I talked to my mother about it, she told me that she had dreamed of doing it herself since my dad had left. So I'm having her do it, because it means so much to her. I would talk to those who may have the expectation that they are doing it, and suss out what their reactions and thoughts about that are Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every bride/groom has their way of choosing the way they want to walk down the aisle. If you feel your mom or dad walk you down or both together. Some walk down alone for personal reasons and find its easier for them. Find what works best for you and follow your heart.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think its disrespectful at all. You have to do what feels right for you. I had planned on walking myself but my mom asked if I would ask my step dad. I told her I wouldnt ask him unless she was with him. I'm a bit older and didnt feel the need for someone to walk down the aisle with me but it seemed important to my mom. If I didnt have a step dad I would walk myself.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Basically it's a way to show our moms how much we appreciate everything they do for us, because it is just so much and we never know how to express that appreciation in the way we feel they deserve. So, after FH and I have said our vows and exchanged rings, our officiant will announce that we have a few words we want to say and he'll ask our moms to come up to the front where we'll give a little speech and offer them roses. It'll be a total surprise for them that we're not telling anyone besides the officiant. Traditionally you give real roses, but we want it to last forever so we're ordering these metal hand crafted roses instead
    Down the aIsle to i do 1
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I walked myself down the "aisle" (we were outside, it was a trail leading to a deck over the water). If anyone was going to walk me down, it would have been our kids. Instead they were our bridal party.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. Do what feels best for you.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't having a traditional wedding, so there's no aisle. I don't love the idea of being "given away" so we're skipping it!

To honor my dad I'm picking a few of his favorite songs for our playlist as opportunities for he and I to have moments together throughout the night.
  • Katie
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd love to know more about the rose ceremony! Thank you so much for your reply.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I considered walking myself down the aisle because of the history behind this tradition...but my grandpa never got the chance to do it with my mom so I knew it would mean the world to him to do it since he was my main father figure in my life growing up. But there's honestly nothing wrong with not having your dad do it since there are many other ways to honour him. You can ask him to do a reading, father-daughter dance, first look with him, etc. FH and I are incorporating a rose ceremony to include our moms in the ceremony, so you could do that for your dad instead. There's just many options and alternatives if you still wanted to have something special for him.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics