Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaitlyn
Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick

Doing your own makeup?

Kaitlyn, on June 14, 2019 at 08:29 Posted in Beauty 0 17
Hey Brides,

I’m having a little internal debate. I love makeup and have a good understanding and healthy collection hahaha. I’m kind of wanting to do my own makeup for my wedding (if Kate Middleton can do it so can I). However, if I’m paying for my bridesmaids to have theirs done should I just save some stress and get mine done too?

I’m torn between my love of makeup and my love of being pampered/reducing stress haha.

What are you planning to do? Any advice?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on July 19, 2019 at 18:48
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm half doing mine myself and half having a bridesmaid do it. I think it depends on how elaborate you are going. I just wanted a natural glowy look that won't take hours to pull off so it was an easy decision not to pay someone.
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I literally do not wear make up so maybe my advice isn't all that helpful here. BUT I chose to wear make up on the wedding day to help pull some of my features out for photos. I was fortunate enough to have my sister help/ do my make up. We talked it over prior and did a couple test runs (before the wedding) so I could let her know what I liked and didn't like.

If you are comfortable with your look, I say save yourself the money and DIY. If you stress a lot over your eyeliner being a teenie tiny bit off .. maybe consider having one of your trusty bridesmaids help you out or hire an artist.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you love being pampered and having less stress, I'd just go ahead and get my makeup done with the bridesmaids if I were you! It will be fun and a special moment together.

I'm definitely having someone do my makeup since I can't have the stress and pressure of doing it myself. Also, if they do it then it will more-likely last all day Smiley smile

• S
    Curious August 2020 Alberta
    Shyrelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely wouldn't bother paying for my bridesmaids that's for sure, but if that's your thing then go for it, as for my own I kinda want to get it done but I'll end up doing it to save money.
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me too! Im a very minimal make up girl... Im thinking of have a couple trials and then seeing what i like the best
  • T
    Curious September 2020 Quebec
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey babe!

I had the exact questioning. I’m getting married in June 2020. I’m a huge makeup lover, have so much makeup... and I’m paying for my Bridesmaid’s makeup artist.

i have decided to do my own makeup for the following reason:

I’m a model. I get my makeup done VERY often by makeup artists from all levels. Most shoots I do are “lifestyle” so it’s every day makeup.. nothing extravagant.

I have NEVER had my makeup done on set and felt like WOW, this is perfect. The foundation will not match as good as mine, brows won’t be the way I’m used of seeing them, contour, etc.

In my opinion, because your wedding pics will stay forever... you are the one that knows your face the best and how you like your makeup done. If you feel confident enough to do it, I’d say go for it. If not? Schedule a try. If you notice anything you don’t love, then do it yourself!
  • Ainsley
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Ainsley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im having this exact same debate, but I've read some of the replies and I agree with the ones that say it's not often we get pampered and you could do your own parts that you're picky about. I've never had my makeup professionally done so it may be pretty exciting!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could have someone else do most of it, and you could do what you’re most picky about! for example, i’ll be doing my own eyebrows for my wedding because i’m far too picky to let anyone else do them
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do you think you should join your girls and get your make up done. As one of your bridesmaids I would feel weird that you were paying for that service and not including yourself, even though you are comfortable with doing your own.
  • Lauren
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should have someone else do it. It's not often that you likely get pampered and it's a once in a lifetime day. You can do your makeup for all the other wedding events. You could even use your own skills to make up a few different looks to show the makeup artist for inspiration. I love makeup too but I don't want the stress!!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose to have someone else do mine so I can relax and enjoy it. But be very specific with what you want Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting someone else to do it. I just don’t have the patience for it and to be honest - someone else doing it will do a far better job than me 😂😂😂
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom pushed me to get my makeup done by someone else - since you do get pampered and it'll reduce stress. I'm a perfectionist with my makeup so if it's not exactly the way I want it, it would definitely put a damper on my day.

Since you are paying for your bridesmaids to get it, I would add yourself to it too. I had the same internal debate you are having, but in the end, I'll be more relaxed if someone else does it.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I would get someone else to do it. This way you are not stressing if something isn't right, and you can just relax and enjoy the morning with your girls.

I am not a big makeup person, and could not do my own (except just mascara) if my life depended on it. It is one big stress taken off to have someone else do it Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your paying for them to have theirs done I would suggest having yours- I wouldn't want you to do yours and think theirs is better and wish you had yours done!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well at first I was going to do my own makeup because - it's makeup.... I mean, I'm not a makeup artist or anything but I don't wear makeup very often (at most I would wear it a total of 2 days in a month...) so it would look good no matter what.

With that being said, I know that if I can't get my eyeliner exactly how I like it then I'm going to end up with red eyes and call off the wedding Smiley tongue So I will most likely be getting somebody to do my makeup as well as my BM's and Mom's if they want it.

I say, if you are good at it - try doing a practice run or two and also time yourself. It would be a great way to save money, even though it would only be a little seeing as how you sound set on paying for your girls to get it done.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in Punta Cana and it feels too risky to rely on their MUA to do my makeup because there is not enough time to figure out a plan B if I don't like their style. I've chosen to do my own makeup, and I'm letting my girls do it themselves or pay for it at the resort if they choose. One of my gifts to them is paying for all of their hairstyling, so there is some professional consistency. Smiley smile

If you are adamant about paying for your bridesmaids' makeup, you might want to feel you are experiencing the same luxury on your wedding day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics