Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaitlyn
Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick

Does location need to be sentimental?

Kaitlyn, on February 11, 2019 at 11:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Hey all,

I’m one of the most emotional/sentimental people I know. We’re looking through venues and I’m wondering - will I regret getting married in a hall/community centre that has no special. meaning

19 Comments

Latest activity by Allyson, on February 11, 2019 at 18:38
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The place is what you make it. Some venues are chosen because it's available, works and makes sense and some of those there emotional attachments.

Our venue was a second choice because getting married in the yard was first choice but completely impractical.

My fh suggested the venue we went with. It's special to us, great price and will work. If it wasn't going to work and it was expensive we would have kept looking. Smiley smile
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your going to make any place special. I am in the same boat, I’m super emotional and sentimental too! I went with a hotel I just stumbled appon, and luckily my FH loves it too, it make things a lot easier when deciding. I thought the hotel would be perfect, what I find fun about this place too is being able to go back and stay at the hotel on anniversaries and there’s a restaurant thats amazing, we could just do dinner dates there too!

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your wedding has a lot of firsts so even though you may not have attachment to a location now, you'd've created a beautiful 1st memory of that place on your wedding day Smiley heart and it'll become sentimental and meaningful as the years go on. I have no attachment to my venues but I chose them because I know they soon will be and that neighborhood suddenly becomes more significant after vows are exchanged
  • Kristi
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Exactly 🤗😊
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I ditto this! What better way to make a place more sentimental than getting married in it! My FH and I use to drive past our venue all the time, never thinking about it, now when we drive by it it always makes us smile and get so excited!!

• Kristi
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No matter where you get married, it will become a very sentimental place for you. And the fun of a hall/community centre is that you can add all your own decor to suit yourselves. Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all. The importance will be the act of getting married. That will make it a sentimental spot for you.

If you already have a sentimental spot (church, school, etc), you can look into it, but I wouldn't feel like it's necessary to go somewhere familiar. We got married at an alumni venue on a university campus. If two people had met at that school, I could see it being romantic, but it had no meaning to us aside from it was part of the reception venue we loved.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a very sentimental person as well. My husband and I have “a park” and I looked at getting married there but it was not a good place for a wedding! We ended up falling in love with a place completely different and got married there. I don’t regret getting married somewhere we had never been! The photos are gorgeous, the space was beautiful and the right size. And now, that place has become sentimental to me. I like that we have another place now! Our park is still our park for those reasons, and now this place is special because it’s where we got married.
  • Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No. You will make memories at a place this is something you like. As long as it's pleasing to look at, the food is amazing and the people seem great, go for it. Your memories will form there regardless.

You will stress yourself out if you base it on a place that HAS to mean something for you. It will end up meaning something either way!

• A
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a sentimental place in mind? My partner wanted to get married in a park near his childhood home, but I had some concerns. We looked at a lot of other wedding venues, all of which could have been great. He eventually told me he had always imagined marrying me in the park, he had grown up playing there and it inspired his career choice, and he had actually brought me there when he was thinking of proposing. In the end, we decided to do it in the park. I still have concerns (like no weather plan B!) but we will make it work because I know it's important to him.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all, but it definitely can be!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope! I think it would be nice if you love the place where you're getting married but that certainly is not always the case. The important thing at the end of the day is that you're going to marry the one you love and celebrate! (My location is not special to me whatsoever fyi).

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, I don’t think the venue you get married in has to be sentimental, as long as it fits your requirements and you’re happy with it!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Uh. No. Not at all.
    The location MUST be whatever you want.
    I feel like you know how folks say God is everywhere? Well so is a wedding venue. You make it what you want it however you can, with whatever means you have.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, I chose the hall as it was very versatile to have both ceremony and reception at the same spot. Plus bringing your own catering in and alcohol and have bartenders within the cost of the hall, plus the hall was under $600
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think so.
    We picked our venue because it checked every box on our list of requirements. We had never stepped foot in that venue before the visit.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think that is a requirement. While the church is our family one, our reception venue is just a generic banquet hall. Getting married will MAKE it sentimental Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think so! I mean, most venues for weddings - people have never even stepped foot in! I'm thinking that either the ceremony location could be a church that you grew up going to or he did - or maybe a park that you guys frequented for dates?

Overall it's not that important to me because if it was then we wouldn't have anywhere to hold the wedding!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a church as he wanted to get married in his. Otherwise I would have picked a diff place I loved that could do ceremony and reception. If you don't have any places with meaning I wouldn't worry. Its about you and the big day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics