Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaytee
Devoted September 2017 Alberta

Do you tip the hair/makeup artist?

Kaytee, on September 24, 2017 at 16:24 Posted in Beauty 0 20
I feel like we are already paying a ton to get our hair and makeup done ($75 for hair and $90 for makeup each). Do you have to tip on top of that?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Crystal, on August 19, 2020 at 16:03
  • Crystal
    Newbie October 2020 Nevada
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow. i am jealous of all of these price quotes. i guess it is a few years later and I live near Tahoe; but I'm getting quoted $250 for hair, $250 for makeup -- and then bridesmaids/others are half of that. it is through an individual, so i am pretty sure based on these prices i do not need to tip...

• M
    Florida
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a professional in this industry and a business owner I never expect a tip regardless if I travel to the location or my clients travel to me. I can't speak for every makeup artist but it is a compliment on my work when I do get tipped, and not only that as a business owner 100% of the money I make from wedding/special occasion gigs get's reinvested into my company for makeup, tools, continuing education, utilities, rent, insurance, etc. So when I do receive tips that's really the only money that goes into my personal pocket.

Again I can't speak for every artist out there and the motives behind the prices they quote but that is up to you to do your research on them and ask the artist questions like what brand of products they use, and what they will use on you, how long they have been doing it for, if they are certified, licenced, or trained, etc that way you have a clear idea of who you are hiring.

So next time when an artist quotes you and you feel its a bit pricey just remember what might be behind that cost.

• Elise
    Newbie August 2029 Greater London
    Elise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is your choice actually, you can or cannot give a tip whenever you want. But as for me, I usually give a tip to the stylists in the hair salon Northumberland that I visit. Some say that it is a general rule, but I’m actually doing it whenever the work of the stylist is great. In your case, if you really think that the price you’re paying for is too high, then you should not feel obligated to give a tip. But if you are happy with the work of your hairstylist or makeup artist, and you have extra cash, why not give them a tip?

• Lynsey
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Lynsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My pleasure! If you feel like you are blown away by their work on the day of, it's totally up to you. Just know that a tip is never expected / mandatorySmiley smile
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Lynsey, that helps a lot. That is exactly what we are doing so I won't tip further then either.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The girl that we have coming with her friend owns her own company. Thanks for the advice.

• Lynsey
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Lynsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are going to a Salon to have it done, yes as a courtesy. The stylists don't make 100% of the cost they are charging. If they are mobile and coming to you, no. My girls are coming to me to do our hair & makeup, and I won't be tipping further
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did tip our hair and makeup artists. I've heard the general rule is that if they own their own company that you don't need to tip them but we did tip a few our vendors anyways.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is actually a really great idea! Thank you! I think I will do that instead!

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My event planner said that you don’t need to tip a variety of the wedding professional and in place of a tip provide enforcing reviews for them on places like wedding wire, Facebook or whatever their mode of advertising happens to be. She said the positive reviews are worth more than the extra cash tip.
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah for sure Smiley smile Thanks.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But that’s totally up to you.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Typically if I’m happy with the service and on a budget I find at least 10 dollars on top of what I paid is good.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is very true. I don't have any problem with the amounts I am paying. I am happy to pay it, I just didn't want to have to find more money for tip lol.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Worth to pay a lot. My hair is costing me 85$ and makeup roughly about the same. The end result is going to be good.
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your advice.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Worth it to tip or pay a lot?

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It’s pricey either way. But it’s worth it in the end

• Charlotte
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also $90 for bridal makeup is very good! I charge $150 when I do bridal makeup. Make sure you do a free trial if you haven't already
  • Charlotte
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im a makeup artist and you do not need to tip. Makeup artist don't expect it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics