Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Zoë
Master June 2020 Ontario

Do we have to invite every guest with a date or a "plus-one"?

Zoë, on June 27, 2017 at 07:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16

Hi lovely brides!

If a guest isn't married or in a serious relationship, it's perfectly acceptable to invite them solo. Most guests will understand that without "and Guest" or another name on the invitation means they aren't invited with a plus-one.

We're having an adults-only wedding (no kids).

Where do we include information about our wedding website?

When should we make the deadline for RSVPs?

When should we send out our wedding invitations?

How do we let guests know our dress code?

Do we have to invite every guest with a date or a "plus-one"?

What is your opinion? Smiley tongue

Do we have to invite every guest with a date or a "plus-one"? 1

pinterest

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 5, 2018 at 23:55
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only 2the plus1 and 1 didnt even reply bak and the other came single.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can afford it, invite the "plus 1". But if you're on a budget I don't think it's necessary to invite the new boyfriend/girlfriend to your wedding. Who knows, they might have broken up by Christmas!!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think you have to do it but we're doing it. If everyone attends it will be 120 but I'm assuming that not everyone will come and not everyone will bring a guest. I wouldn't invite them if I couldn't afford it.
  • Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are giving everyone a plus one if they want it. Quite a few people on my list don't want to bring a plus one but I gave them that option if they wanted it. I just feel really bad telling people they have to fly solo at a wedding where they might not know a lot of people.

• Dausika
    Newbie June 2019 Saskatchewan
    Dausika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not adding the "and guest" is a perfect way to say please don't bring any one except your self, weddings are expensive and it just means you will not have enough food for that extra person if they do bring someone I think you are going by it the right way
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are inviting plus ones for those who have been in a long term relationship for longer than a year or those who are coming from out of town who may not have a significant other so that they don't have to travel alone.

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have to worry about plus one. everyone is a couple.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm honestly a little particular about this mainly since my family is overseas, and not everyone can come. I don't want everyone bringing a plus one I've never met when half my family can't make it, it wouldn't feel right. People will be given plus ones based on how long they've been with their partner when I send out invitations. I'll have enough no's to the rvsps that if something changes and someone's been with their new partner a while, I'll invite them when it reaches that point. But there's no random dates happening.
  • Stephanie
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been budgeting for all my currently single friends and family to have a plus one because our wedding is still so far away and a lot can happen in a year! But for those who aren't seeing anyone by the time we send out invitations, we will likely just invite them without a guest, as we don't really want random people we've never met being brought to the wedding!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are giving our single friends a plus one if they want it. Since we are sending out the invites so far in advance, a lot can happen in 3 months so if rather be safe than sorry. Plus we have the space on our Guestlist for this as we are having a very small wedding.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you have to invite everyone and a plus one. I recently encountered a problem with this in my own wedding. I have a cousin that was single when we sent out the invitations so I only addressed her invitation to her, solo. I then found out a month ago through my mum that my cousin has been dating someone since March and that she is most likely bringing him to the wedding. My cousin RSVP'd that she is bringing someone but didn't actually ask if that was ok. I don't care that he is coming as we have had others that are not able to attend but I would have liked her to have the decency to ask if it was ok first.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were particular about who we gave plus one's to. We think if your in a serious relationship then its okay, but bringing a random date whom we have never met seems odd to me
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they have been together for a good time period 6 months or more then ok to invite, why not? But some ppl just bring "dates" to the wedding then to me that's not ok

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's nice to give single people a plus one. Especially if they don't know many people at the wedding - they'll have a much better time if they have someone they know to spend the night with.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good advice Zoe. We were flexible toAllie guests a plus whether in a relationship or not so that they don't feel left out.
  • Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics