Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Frequent user September 2019 Ontario

Do i have to invite coworkers/boss?

Vanessa, on August 7, 2018 at 10:48 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

I just started a new job last week. They know I'm getting married next year and my future father-in-law knows my direct bosses through his line of work. I know that by the time the wedding rolls around I will have built up more of a relationship with people in the office, but my issue is that my guest list is already too big and I am having trouble cutting people. My fiancé is not inviting any of his coworkers but he works at a much bigger company, whereas the one I work at is small. My father-in-law would NOT be offended if I didn't invite them, he is encouraging us to cut the guest list wherever we can. Would it be rude of me not to invite at least my 3 direct bosses?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on August 13, 2018 at 15:04
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's definitely not rude. I'm not inviting any of my bosses (I've worked at my current job for 6 years). There's no hard and fast rules about these things.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's rude. I started my current job last November, and I'll be just shy of the two-year mark by the time I get married. While I work at a large company, the office I work at has 15-20 people. My boss is the company's CEO, and is rarely in the office. The only co-worker I have on my guest list is my colleague who I have a friendship with, which I'm sure the others will be understanding of as the others and I aren't close, and they're aware I'll be having a small wedding.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not rude at all! What I read (I think it was an article on here but can’t remember) was that coworkers only need to be invited if you hang out with them outside of work (if you want to invite them)
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I see your wanting to invite your boss and some co workers to your wedding though it's way too many as you mentioned. Don't take the risk as you two do want to cut the number down and he's not inviting any co workers from his work. Keep it simple and smaller if that's your plan.

I purposely didn't invite my boss/his wife neither his father/common law wife to our wedding as it would be why him and not me question.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also if you do get close with coworkers down the line, perhaps it’s not as classy but you can always invite them to crash the reception later at night? If they’re close enough to you I’d think they would be happy with that and understand
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Think of it as inviting people that you can share these memories with 30 years down the line! I’d say a big no to inviting them
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely do not think you have to invite your coworkers. I also started a new job and will have known them about a year when we get married. I work in an office with about 50 or so people but there are only 18 in my department. I am fairly close with some of them so I will probably invite them to the dance only.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You do not need to invite coworkers and I really don't think they would expect to be invited. You are not obligated to mingle your personal and professional lives and most people understand that.

I have honestly never been to a coworkers wedding, or been invited to one, nor do I anticipate that I will invite any. I get along very well with my boss and everyone at work, but we are not involved in each others' personal lives beyond the odd after work beers once in a while.

If it so happens that someone at work becomes an actual close friend over the next year, perhaps they should get an invite, but I would not invite any non-family member to your wedding that you don't regularly hang out with outside of work.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unless you hang out with them outside of work regularly, you do not need to invite them. I'm in the same boat where my company is small and my FH works at a government agency with 100s of others. I get along great with my coworkers and might B-list them if we get enough declining RVSP's.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With the exception of my boss, who is a friend of mine from before I worked at my current company, none of my coworkers are invited to the ceremony or dinner. They will get 'wedding crasher' invitations, though, for the dance and drinks portion.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well for me - I have a guest list of 250 as is without coworkers on the list. Now.... I used to work with two of his cousins so they will be invited - but as of right now I do not plan on inviting many others here at work as they are like Brittany said; personal life personal and work life at work. I have worked here for almost 3 years and by the time my wedding comes around add another year. If you don't see them outside of work then your wedding doesn't have to be any different. I am having 3 coworkers invited but I have regular wine and game nights with them which means I consider them friends over coworkers.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to invite anyone, especially coworkers and bosses in my opinion. I didn't invite anyone I work with to my wedding and some of them are my friends. If your guest list is already too big than stick to your guns. You can tell anyone at your work who shows interest in getting invited that you have already confirmed final numbers with your venue and that you aren't even sure you are going to have room for all your family and close friends.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah dont worry about it! Were in the same situation we both have started new jobs but neither of us are inviting from our new jobs at all! We met through our old job and we're inviting people from that old job! But not from the new! I dont think anyone would expect it since you are still new! Even if the wedding is a year from now you are making the list now for people who matter NOW! and who knows what if you did invite them and closer to the wedding start to have issues? I wouldn't want the extra stress keep work and personal separate!
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've only started 6 months ago in my current job. They know I am getting married next year but I think they understand that I won't be inviting them to my wedding. For my wedding, I am only inviting close friends and family, not coworkers/bosses.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to invite them at all. even if you had been working there when you started planning. a guideline is that if you invite a couple of coworkers. you should invite all (unless of course you work at a giant office). but I wouldn't feel obligated to invite them at all.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope. Not rude at all. Personal life is personal. Work life is work. If you happen to be friendly with colleagues outside of work, great... but that doesn't mean you need to invite them to the wedding.

Honestly.... You're right, a lot can change in a year. Keep them in mind as B-list guests if you get a certain number of declined RSVPs....

Realistically though, especially since you built your original guest list before even starting work, it would be odd that people would expect to be invited for the possibility of future friendships...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics