Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Expert September 2020 Ontario

DJ concern

Emily, on September 15, 2019 at 17:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hi fellow planners!!
Originally we had planned to do our own playlist but we’re talked out of it and ended up looking for a DJ. So the DJ we chose is a family friend and my mom said the DJs dad has made some ominous comment about wishing his son would get a “real job,” which led my mom to ask me if I have a backup.... the wedding is a year away and I’m wanting your opinions.. why would I have a backup?! Should I have a backup?! I realize any vendor can backout for unforeseen circumstances but I’m just confused 🤷‍♀️ most DJs don’t fit our budget and the only reason we went him this friend was because he gave us a major discount... should I have a playlist as a backup plan?!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on September 19, 2019 at 15:21
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely a good point!!🙏
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have a backup in case hes sick, gets into a car accident on the day of, equipment breaks down. my dj i booked told me he was on a way to a wedding which started at 5 pm and he left his house at 3 pm and someone rear ended him bad and flipped his car. he ended up calling his colleague and he went over to the wedding instead.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd also have a contract with him just for peace of mind too, but wouldn't hurt to have a playlist!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Lisa! We haven’t signed anything because he was on vacation but now that he’s back I’ll be getting that in writing for sure Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good idea! Thanks tori Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Allison! He wouldn’t be invited because it’s a family friend through my moms work - I’d be worried to mention it to him because his dad said it as an off hand comment and I don’t want to start drama haha I’ve decided not to dwel on it and have a playlist as a plan B just in case Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Vinod! I think we will have a backup playlist as the plan B Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is plan A, though plan B may be a good suggestion if something happen that your DJ backs out the last minute. The discount given is great and all goes well falling into place showing up for the event.

The playlist you want to create may help for the time if needed to use if plan A fails on time. Think one step ahead of anything possible that will make your day flow well and smooth.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My coworker actually DJ's on the side - so it's possible that your DJ gets a "real" job and also keeps DJ'ing lol!

I'd maybe talk to him about your concerns, would he be invited to the wedding regardless if he was DJ'ing, since he's a close family-friend? If he is invited, he'd be there anyways, so he might as well DJ.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, I have a friend as our photographer and we don't have any signed contract - but she is the kind of friend that knows if she were to leave us high and dry (which I could never see happening) that our entire friend group would disown her unless she had a life or death reason.

With that being said, I would honestly just reach out to him directly and express your concern and ask if that were for whatever reason to happen - could he try and help look for a new one?

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even if your DJ gets another job,
    its likely that he could still do your wedding. Do you have a contract? Our DJ was a close acquaintance that also has a full time job, and he had no issue committing to do ours. Have a chat with him if you are nervous, I’m sure he can provide the reassurance you are looking for.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is the rare adult child who gets a "real job" just because their parents wanted them to.
    I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics