Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2022 Quebec

diy wedding dress

Katherine, on December 17, 2019 at 12:54 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10
I have psoriasis and so am somewhat self conscious of my skin. I don't want to hide myself but don't exactly want it out on display. But so far I haven't found a (affordable!) wedding dress that meets my needs. So I'm thinking I'll make my own. Has anyone else made theirs? Or is making?

Anyone have any nice sewing patterns?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on December 29, 2019 at 17:44
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Threadbanger on YouTube. Corrine made her own dress and she shows how she made hers. It would be easy to modify to hide more skin if you wanted
  • K
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

diy wedding dress 1
    diy wedding dress 2My guy helped me make my mannequin over the weekend. We kept running out of tape, things got silly, and if you see the black X across my chest I was momentarily an XMen/warrior but we got it done in the end. My patterns should be in by mid next week!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive seen a lot of dresses that have sleeves which are very nice and they have flower patterns which are beautiful. you can also look into something like that

• K
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Will do! Fingers crossed 😊
  • Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You must be very talented, Katherine! I can't wait to see how this progresses for you! Make sure to share some photos during Smiley smile

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Excellent! That is very exciting. I love an off the shoulder neckline. I hope you share your progress with us.
  • K
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wanted backless but the skin on my lower back is unpredictable so I want partial. More like an off the shoulder cut, with 3/4 length sleeves to cover the worst parts of my arms. Just ordered some patterns and I'm very excited for them to come in! I have plenty of time to make mock ups with cheapy fabric so I can see how it turns out and if I can't get it right I'll go with what I can afford in store. But I'm feeling pretty confident I can get it done.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Kelly. If you have sewn evening wear before this is probably something you can tackle. But wedding dresses require boning to provide proper shape and support, and that is an advanced sewing skill. I would hate to see you spend so much money on the fabric and then not be pleased with the result.

What areas are you hoping to cover? There may be less conventional ways of purchasing a dress (Etsy, online custom made) that meet your budget and gets you exactly what you want.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's very ambitious. If you are a very talented and skilled seamstress, go for it! I would not suggest going this route if you only have basic sewing skills. That would be asking for a lot of stress.

Have you considered looking on Etsy for a dress that meets your needs? You'd be working directly with the seamstress making the dress, and they could probably accommodate special requests.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Katherine!

If you're someone who sews and has sewn dresses before I would say give it a try! I would give yourself lots of time to edit, and in case it doesn't turn out how you expected.
    Have you looked into having a dress altered to meet your needs? When I was at a fitting my seamstress was telling me about a dress where she took off some train to make the back higher to cover a bra. I'm sure a seamstress wouldn't have an issue with edits like extra panels for a higher back or sleeves for example.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics