Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Monique
Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan

DIY Playlist

Monique, on February 2, 2020 at 20:44 Posted in DIY 3 34

So my fiance and I decided to make our own playlist since we didn't think that many people would dance and we don't have enough money in the budget for a DJ. We've got about 6.5 months until our wedding and I'm stressed about this playlist. Here are a few problems I'm having:

1. Our music tastes are like Linkin Park, Green Day, Three Days Grace, etc. The articles I've been looking up suggest a bunch of songs like backstreet boys, 90s dancing tunes, that people will enjoy. The more songs we add like this to our playlist, it doesn't feel true to us since we don't listen to that kind of music.

2. The guests invited are a variety of ages, from 12 to 75. I'm not sure what kind of music everyone likes. We put a 'suggested songs' part on our wedding website but I don't think many people have looked at it/will look at it.

3. I'm not sure how many of our guests are into dancing (we're a group who are more likely to talk, drink and play board games). I worry that I'll create a playlist like a club would have and no one will dance. I don't care if no one dances, but it would be pretty weird if "Yeah!" by Usher was playing, and people were trying to talk and didn't like the music.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

34 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on March 11, 2020 at 11:38
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sending out a song request with the invitations. We are hard rockers which is difficult to dance too, plus we know our group has various musical tastes.

We are asking them to give us a song that will guarantee to get them out on the dancefloor...that way everyone wins.

You could even make a game of it with cards saying match the song request to the bridal party Smiley smile

• Heidi
    Frequent user July 2020 British Columbia
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Would love to follow
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Put the music you love on the playlist and add a few different types of music.Can’t go wrong with variety from the 60’s-now throw in some top 50 songs and maybe one or two country and you’re good to go.
  • Elyse
    Newbie June 2022 Alberta
    Elyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m currently creating a Spotify playlist and I can share it with you if you like! We both have very fancy families (but in very different ways)
  • Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a DIY playlist. That worked out pretty well. I think the only thing I would do differently was that we mixed requested into our playlist when we should have had them played earlier in the night. A lot of cases people would leave and then their song came on. For dancing we had a playlist that had your mix of genres, requests and our music style (alt rock). We found that people are not open to dancing to songs they don’t know so if you want people to get up- the well known Motown and 90’s pop did really well. As for making the reception reflect more of our music style - during cocktails and dinner we had background music that was all the bands we’ve seen live together - and of course our first dance was well researched.
    I found a DJ blog that suggests going from slow song to full out dance party over the course of 5 songs so that people get rest breaks which seemed to be ok.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha love it. It's just fun and silly
  • Heidi
    Frequent user July 2020 British Columbia
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Request song is great, but also dont start from cero, modify a current spotify playlist
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the request sheet idea!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good idea about the disco, we definitely have Stayin' alive haha

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Music is played during dinner as well? Like instrumental covers and stuff like that?

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good idea, I didn't think about making backup playlists. Thanks for the advice!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a mix of songs we like and songs that were "recommended" on websites. I do not like country music, but allowed my bridesmaids (who all love country music) to choose one country song that was mixed in.

We had put the songs in order, but we also had a few friends as the "designated DJ" throughout the evening (1 hour shifts), so they would be at the laptop during that time and could mix up the songs depending on the crowd. So, they could see what song was coming up and could change it if they thought necessary. So, for the example you give, someone would be there to skip over "Yeah!" if no one is on the dance floor.

We also listened to various "suggested" playlists on Spotify as we were cleaning or driving to see if there were any other songs that we liked but hadn't heard of before.

We also asked friends specifically for song suggestions, not just on the website or on the RSVP card.

• Samantha
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are playing a lot more of what we want to listen to during dinner and things, but we decided to go 50/50 with more 'dancing music' (What our guests would probably enjoy dancing to) and music that we would enjoy listening and dancing to. We have decided to chose out what we want the 'slow songs' to be though, and will be going with a lot of oldies/motown hits because I love dancing to that stuff. And if no one dances - most people wont complain listening to Jackson 5's "I want you back". I'd say pick a handful of songs that you like that you think you could dance to, and then a backup playlist if you guests are loving dancing and you want to stretch it a bit longer.

• Theresa
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Theresa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our own playlist too! Our RSVPs have a request line that i hope guests will fill out so we can make sure they hear something they like. We are going to do a little mix of everything but we are making sure we like the songs we pick! We are also going to leave out a request sheet and have someone check it every hour to add anything that is being requested!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't forget the old stuff too. Disco is super fun to dance to (especially for just clowning around) some old time rock and roll but keep a lot of what you feel you like. We will also have some Zorbas, only 1 or 2 (FH is half greek).
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Add whatever music you guys like!! but then add some nice dinner music and your entrance music!

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Choose whatever you want! You can always reach out via email and ask for requests.

The great thing about Spotify is that you can create multiple playlists and change them on the fly. I helped my friend DJ her wedding, and half the group was Latino. I had created a backup Latin Hits playlist, and we reverted to it after an hour when we realized they were the only ones who wanted to dance.

• Sharla
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Sharla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My FH’s mom has been our only request so far. But I too am hoping we get more.
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it's hard because I feel like there's almost a mentality of "the reception is for the guests" so I want the guests to enjoy themselves but I don't want to listen to music I don't like the whole night lol
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good point, we will probably get at least some suggestions on our website.
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol I bet your fiance had an "I told you so" look on his face!
  • Kimberly
    Curious September 2023 British Columbia
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same boat. I have started spotify list. I just dont know what to add. I like the old school rock and dance music. My FH isnt a super bug fan of my kind of music but likes the old school rock. I am just going to build a playlist that is suited to us. It's our day, no one else's.
  • Sharla
    Sharla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Throw in any requests you do get from your website, and then the rest I would just do for you guys!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been grumbling at him for the last two years to get rid of it because it takes up so much space, but lo and behold - it will be coming in handy haha! Needless to say my grumbling has stopped haha.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That must be awesome to have the equipment for free! Lol if you don't have fun at your own party, what's the point
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what my FH said but I was too focused on people having a good time, never mind me having a good time now lol
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I look forward to it, thanks!
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the link! It'll be so much easier having something to look at and compare to ☺
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good point about the board games, we actual planned on having board games anyway! Thanks for the reassurance!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same here! FH used to be a DJ so he has his equipment still and is familiar with that is popular at weddings and how to mix and such. However we are leaning heavily on what WE enjoy and that is that haha.

• Sharla
    Sharla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the same thing! We are just going to do a mix of everything we like and hope people like it. If not, oh well because it’s our wedding!
  • L
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our situation is the same! I will let you know what we end up doing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics