Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

diy decor - when to start?

Sarah, on May 19, 2019 at 13:47 Posted in DIY 0 28
Our wedding isn’t until August 2020 but I already want to start getting stuff and putting things together. Am I too early? Lol. How far ahead did you guys start making your decor?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 24, 2019 at 13:17
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You have so much time!
    We both knew the Venue we wanted to get married at even before we started talking about marriage so we booked it right away to make sure we had it for the date we wanted lol

I wish you the best of luck though! its a stressful yet amazing process, enjoy it!! Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’ve been engaged for 2 years already so I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I want and what we’re doing lol
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You guys are so great!! Thanks for the great tips!! Our storage is limited but I’m making it work haha plus my lovely bridesmaids will help as well
  • Corabelle
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Corabelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance are focusing on diy and I already want to start and we are planning for a July 2020 wedding
  • Meagan
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow your good. Im still deciding on the venue for our wedding may 2020
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The earlier the better!!! I started some DIYs over a year in advance and still found ourselves scrambling in the final week! Just store everything properly and you'll be fine! Box things to avoid dust and throw a dryer sheet in to keep smelling fresh!
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding isn’t till April 2021 & we’ve started collecting stuff, we’re going for a whimsical vintage look so it’s a lot of acquired items from thrift stores and that takes time. As long as you are very clear on your vision for the look & feel of the decor and very sure you won’t drastically change your mind, go for it. Make lists & Pinterest boards to help keep you on track.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go for it! Just be careful not to do too too much (in case your vision changes).. but I started making a lot of little things early on.. The bigger dent you put in everything early, the less stressed you will be near the end.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh do not feel bad for starting this earlier. I am in the same boat girl!
    I am not getting married until July 2020 but I already have my Limo's booked, Officiant Booked, Photographer/Videographer Booked, Venue booked, Dj booked, center pieces purchased, take home gifts for guests purchased, all we are looking to do now is hiring draping company, and floral's !

I like the idea of doing it earlier in order to not stress about it later! Do whatever you'd like girl! Smiley smile

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My hubby said the same thing when I started to buy stuff 6 months ago. now here we are almost 2 months away and he's wondering when we are going to get everything done! trust me go with your gut

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as your set on what you want and have the room to store why not start now. the sooner you can cross something's off your list less stressed you will be when the date gets closer

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would start now if you know what you want - my wedding is in October and I haven't started anything yet... I would say the sooner the better because before you know it you are running out of time.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you know what you want... start now!

We DIY'd a lot of things. And some projects took way longer than anticipated. Or didn't live up to my expectations.

As long as you have room to keep finished projects, the earlier the better.

Less stress on you that way.

• Michelle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Trust your gut girl!
  • Michelle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My wedding is in August 2019, I started July of 2018 because we were doing all DIY decor. My wedding is two months away and there is still lots more to do! So start as early as you can cause you need to relax and enjoy your 2 months before the wedding.. haha goodluck!!
  • Alyssa
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding isn't until October 2020, and we have already started our DIY Favours and Centrepieces. We are making wood coasters that are burned with our wedding logo and date. We want to make sure that they turn out perfect for our guests so we are testing out different types of wood and varnishes. It's never too early to start if you know what you want. It gives you time to perfect it and slowly get more and more done. From experience through a cousin I know that waiting to complete the favours until months before the wedding causes an immense amount of stress!

• Jackie
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t even confirmed the date yet or venue and I already want to get started on things 😅 I’m trying to hold back until I have the venue confirmed so what I work on will work in the space- but I’m basically planning on starting as soon as possible because I love DIY ♥️
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Start now! There’s nothing wrong with planning and being prepared. You will be amazed at how many little bumps you will hit in the road along the way. Get done what you can now! Great idea.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies your comments are so motivating! When I was looking at stuff yesterday my fiancé was like “we have sooo much time though” but I’m going with my gut and getting on things now!!
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married July 2020 and I have already started.

I am waiting till my soon to be sister in laws wedding this July (she won't say what the decor is and I don't want to 'copy' her) before buying any big pieces.

I guess the biggest is making sure you have room to store everything.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is in September, 2019. I started my DIY projects in February. I am making a bunch of things and am so glad I did them early. So far I’ve done some centrepieces, an almost finished wax paper backdrop, place cards, sparkler tags. I may do some welcome bags still. SOOOO glad I started early. It will take a ton of stress off once you’re closer to your day.
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You're not too early at all! We've been engaged since October 2017 and I started some of my diy quite soon after. It's now about 45 days until our wedding and I'm happy I did! At least it gave me some time to not be forced to work on stuff all the time, but still, Im not finished yet so I'm glad I could do it on a relaxed pace. The only thing is that you gotta have the space to store items
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also keep in mind that items in the stores are always stocked a few months before the actual season so if something catches your eye, get it bc it may not be available later.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks guys!! Ok I was worried I was jumping the gun but it is my goal to get as much done as possible sooner rather than later. I will keep at it!!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm over a year out and am in the planning phase as well. I've acquired some jars for favours and will start working on wood table numbers soon-ish since we have an idea of how many tables we'll need. I'm also learning calligraphy and will likely start signage and place cards in the new year once I'm better at it. I'm all about getting things done early to keep stress minimal at 3 months out Smiley winking

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not making my decor but I am planning all of my decor right now. Over a year in advance of my wedding!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you know it's what you want and you have somewhere to store it all then start ASAP. Give yourself as much time as you can so it isn't stressful. It will also give you a chance to buy materials on sale or whenever you want to Smiley smile

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're confident in your decor decisions and are sure your colours and style aren't going to change, earlier is definitely better, imo!

We had started collecting décor with one vision, and then shifted things. So, now I have things to get rid of. lol Thank goodness we're keeping things simple and I don't have too much to diy at this point! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics