Sarah
Devoted August 2020 Ontario

diy decor - when to start?

Sarah, on 19/May/2019 at 13:47 Posted in DIY
Our wedding isn’t until August 2020 but I already want to start getting stuff and putting things together. Am I too early? Lol. How far ahead did you guys start making your decor?
Share:

28 Comments

• Amanda
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    View quoted message

You have so much time!
    We both knew the Venue we wanted to get married at even before we started talking about marriage so we booked it right away to make sure we had it for the date we wanted lol

I wish you the best of luck though! its a stressful yet amazing process, enjoy it!!

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    View quoted message
    We’ve been engaged for 2 years already so I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I want and what we’re doing lol
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    You guys are so great!! Thanks for the great tips!! Our storage is limited but I’m making it work haha plus my lovely bridesmaids will help as well
  • Corabelle
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Corabelle ·
    My fiance are focusing on diy and I already want to start and we are planning for a July 2020 wedding
  • Meagan
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Meagan ·
    View quoted message
    Wow your good. Im still deciding on the venue for our wedding may 2020
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    The earlier the better!!! I started some DIYs over a year in advance and still found ourselves scrambling in the final week! Just store everything properly and you'll be fine! Box things to avoid dust and throw a dryer sheet in to keep smelling fresh!
  • Kat D
    Curious April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    My wedding isn’t till April 2021 & we’ve started collecting stuff, we’re going for a whimsical vintage look so it’s a lot of acquired items from thrift stores and that takes time. As long as you are very clear on your vision for the look & feel of the decor and very sure you won’t drastically change your mind, go for it. Make lists & Pinterest boards to help keep you on track.
  • Amanda
    Featured June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·

Go for it! Just be careful not to do too too much (in case your vision changes).. but I started making a lot of little things early on.. The bigger dent you put in everything early, the less stressed you will be near the end.

• Amanda
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·

Oh do not feel bad for starting this earlier. I am in the same boat girl!
    I am not getting married until July 2020 but I already have my Limo's booked, Officiant Booked, Photographer/Videographer Booked, Venue booked, Dj booked, center pieces purchased, take home gifts for guests purchased, all we are looking to do now is hiring draping company, and floral's !

I like the idea of doing it earlier in order to not stress about it later! Do whatever you'd like girl!

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    View quoted message

My hubby said the same thing when I started to buy stuff 6 months ago. now here we are almost 2 months away and he's wondering when we are going to get everything done! trust me go with your gut

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·

As long as your set on what you want and have the room to store why not start now. the sooner you can cross something's off your list less stressed you will be when the date gets closer

• Tori
    Featured October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori Online ·

I would start now if you know what you want - my wedding is in October and I haven't started anything yet... I would say the sooner the better because before you know it you are running out of time.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·

If you know what you want... start now!

We DIY'd a lot of things. And some projects took way longer than anticipated. Or didn't live up to my expectations.

As long as you have room to keep finished projects, the earlier the better.

Less stress on you that way.

• Michelle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    View quoted message
    Trust your gut girl!
  • Michelle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    View quoted message
    My wedding is in August 2019, I started July of 2018 because we were doing all DIY decor. My wedding is two months away and there is still lots more to do! So start as early as you can cause you need to relax and enjoy your 2 months before the wedding.. haha goodluck!!
  • Alyssa
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Alyssa ·

Our wedding isn't until October 2020, and we have already started our DIY Favours and Centrepieces. We are making wood coasters that are burned with our wedding logo and date. We want to make sure that they turn out perfect for our guests so we are testing out different types of wood and varnishes. It's never too early to start if you know what you want. It gives you time to perfect it and slowly get more and more done. From experience through a cousin I know that waiting to complete the favours until months before the wedding causes an immense amount of stress!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles