Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sophie
Newbie September 2020 Alberta

diy all wedding decorations and more.

Sophie, on January 3, 2020 at 21:39 Posted in DIY 0 9

I am working on creating all of my wedding decorations, favours, invites, etc. All by hand. Is anyone else doing some wedding things by hand? How are you finding it so far? Is it worth it? Do you find that you are saving more money this way?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on January 17, 2020 at 11:28
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends how much you wnat to do. for us it ended up cheaper booking a decor and just renting the items and centrepeices etc

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did all our decorations, centerpieces, invites, stationary! For our decorations, my godmother offered to help out, which helped out a lot!

My advice, work on your DIYs as soon as possible and try not to procrastinate on them! There were a few items I left until the last minute and was stressing a week before our wedding working on them.

• Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Personally I think any DIY is amazing. Even if it is not perfect, the fact that you did it yourself makes you appreciate it more and gives you more pride in your work. That being said, if your time is stretched thin and it isn’t something you love to do, it’s not worth it. I have always loved doing crafts, building things and baking so it makes everything so much more exciting for me personally. I think building and creating my wedding is more exciting for me than the day itself.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only DIY'd the signs and centrepieces - but it saved us quite a bit of money compared to renting! That and when I get my life together we can try selling them to other brides!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have the time and the skill I'd say go for it. Set manageable deadlines for finishing each project so you don't end up trying to juggle many at once.

I am going to do our florals myself. My plan is to make sure I have all the supplies be the end of June so I'll have a few months to get them done but also if I suck at it I'll have time for a backup plan!
    I've always heard that you should account for your time to see if you'll actually save money. For example if it takes you 6 hours to practice hand calligraphy and 6 more to do all the place cards how much is your 12 hours worth? Does it still make sense to diy after the math.
    I'm also hesitant to try a project I've never done before unless the supplies are affordable. Spending money and realizing you hate the finished product can end up costing you way more in the long run.
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love this. I am doing the same. Although some aspects are costing more than I had anticipated, in the end it is items you have and can rent/sell after to recoup some of the money. I didn’t think of the Michaels thing. I tried ordering fake flowers from amazon (where I am doing a lot of my shopping) but the quality is not great and definitely not worth it. For all real flowers, we are using Costco. Their flowers are just as good as anywhere else and reasonably priced.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing all our signage, table numbers, favours, a few floral pieces, and invites (to some degree) myself and have for sure managed to cut costs there. I'm definitely saving on all the signage and have been able to rent out my unplugged sign to other couples to get some money back. My wood table numbers cost about $0.30 each to make rather than buy. For our favours, I've bought small jars, put together some tags for cheap, and will get coffee and tea from Bulk Barn with a coupon. Small floral decor pieces would have cost about $40 apiece from our florist but I've put together one so far that cost me about $10 using artificial florals that I've been stocking up on from Michaels with their daily coupons. And rather than paying a fortune someone else to put together swanky invites, I'm ordering the actual invite, RSVP, and details cards from Vistaprint when they have a 50% off sale then jazzing them up a bit myself. I've also learned calligraphy to address them all myself. It's all a lot of work but will definitely be worth it in the long run!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have also found a lot of friends who are interested in helping so that is an added bonus 😊
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing the decorations myself and also I'll be having a candy bar for favours. I had a huge score with the facebook marketplace getting the full set of candy jars for $15 dollars! I'm planning on going to lindt on a sale day (probably black friday next year) to get the chocolate balls in red, silver and grey. I'm just going to order invitations from vistaprint with one of their sales as well. There are a lot of nice invitations that are cheap enough (if you order their sample pack you'll get a 50% code). I dont think I could make invitations for cheaper than the 50% vistaprint. My centerpieces vases I got for $8 each and I bought those glittery mats under them for $4 each. I have enough for the bases for all vases plus candy bar jars as well. I'll be doing my own flowers as well. I bought 1000 sola flowers during their black friday sale. I'll make kissing balls for on top of my vases plus my own bouquets, boutonnieres and possibly some decor for the ceremony space. Everything I bought I can also try to sell after. As long as you enjoy it and have enough time I think it is so worth it.
    diy all wedding decorations and more. 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics