Sonia
Frequent user bride May 2019 Quebec

Did you get your fh an engagement ring

Sonia, on 12/November/2017 at 00:57 Posted in Before the wedding
I’m kinda on the fence. Everybody says I need to get him one and I want to but he’s pretty adamant on not wanting one. So I’m curious did you get one for your SO or no
Share:

25 Replies

• Vinod
    VIP bride August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    Men don't usually wear engagement rings generally. If they feel they want to, they can if chosen the choice.

Wedding bands are the the best way to have one cost than two.
  • Victoria
    Devoted bride November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    View quoted message

Sorry!

Not criticizing your post at all. My FH isnt wearing one either! Just more so a comment on the dumb history of it. I realize thats not what your post is about now after reading it further. Kinda jumped the gun commenting on another post.

• Sonia
    Sonia ·
    View quoted message
    Exactly, we’re going to go back to the place where he got mine and I’m excited to see what they have and what they could come up with
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    View quoted message
    That’s hilarious! I’m glad he likes it though! I ended up getting him a really expensive watch for Christmas since he doesn’t want an engagement ring. It’s his engagement present and i know he likes it :b
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    View quoted message
    Again, the point of this thread is not that my fh does not want to wear a ring. He will eventually be wearing 2, one for engineering and his wedding band...

the question was did you get your fh an engagement ring as in some cultures like my own, it used to be a thing (my father has one and other men in my family) but with the newer generations it is becoming less and less common. So when I asked my bf if he wanted one as I respect his decisions he said no and that he only wants his wedding band as we have a wedding to pay for.

im not asking about the history of engagement rings or if should be asking myself questions if he doesn’t want to wear a ring.
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    View quoted message
    I’m saying I agree that if a dude won’t wear a ring it’s kind of a flag and should lead to some questions.
  • H
    Frequent user bride June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    View quoted message
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means. Can you clarify?
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    View quoted message
    Totally agreed. Some dudes just don’t like wearing rings ( a lot of people hate them and jewelry in general) but if proposed to the idea in general it’s a no from me
  • Holly
    Expert bride June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    I bought my fiance a ring. To get him used to wearing one. Now he can't go a day with out it! We don't call it an engagement ring though. As a joke I did get on one knee and propose but that was just for laughs.
  • Shannon
    Devoted bride June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    I bought him one because I proposed but if he doesn't want to wear one then bayberry you could look at a fancier wedding band instead?
  • Maegan
    Super bride July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan Online ·
    I did! We were a little non-traditional with how we went about things.... But we decided we both wanted 'engagement' rings so we got a matching set. We are both wearing our engagement rings on our right hand until the wedding and then our engagement rings will become our wedding rings and we will swap them over to our left hands.
    So really we just bought our wedding bands early and called them engagement rings.
    If your FH doesnt want an engagement ring then theres no point in getting one. Most people dont and he likely wont wear it.
  • Ap2017
    Expert bride September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·

My husband isn't into rings...he only wears his wedding band on date night/special occasions (its safety hazard at work) so he had no interest in another ring. I think it's all personal - if he wants it, go for it, if not then skip it!

• Brittany
    Curious bride May 2018 New Brunswick
    Brittany ·
    Since I didnt get mine a ring- i told him to choose any ring he wants and ill get it for the wedding, no matter the cost- hes also super fussy and doesnt like a lot of jewelry so an engagement ring is a wast of money and time (weve been looking for q weddinng band for 2 years). I did got to lovebookonline - and im also "proposing" to him at the end- which hell love!
  • Erin
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·

I did not get my husband an engagement ring as he did the proposing. Had I been the one to propose then I probably would have gotten him one. If he doesn't really want one then I wouldn't get him one.

• Sonia
    Sonia ·
    View quoted message
    Yea that too but for him it’s more the money aspect of it. He doesn’t want me spending the money on a ring and not putting it towards the wedding. But I just feel terrible because he spent a lot of money on my ring and I feel awful. Is that normal? Lol
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    View quoted message
    It’s not so much that he’s opposed to wearing a wedding band. He really wants one of those. And he’s an engineer so he has to wear a ring on his pinky. It’s none of that. It’s more the fact that he doesn’t want an engagement ring since the tradition for most of the old school Italians i know is that they should get one.
    The wedding ring is something completely different that we’ll both wear

Comment on this discussion

Related articles