Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious June 2022 Ontario

Destination wedding??

Michelle, on April 11, 2019 at 10:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Any of you ladies doing a destination wedding . if so where??

15 Comments

Latest activity by Sharon, on June 14, 2019 at 10:42
  • Sharon
    Beginner January 2020 Ontario
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sandals South Coast, Jamaica, January 2020

• M
    Newbie February 2020 Yucatán
    MIchelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Akuml Mexico in February Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a destination vow renewal as part of our honeymoon in Hawaii.

As far as it being cheaper... it really depends on how big of a wedding you would have here vs where you travel to for a destination. Amount of guests makes a big difference too.

We are having a small, simple wedding at a restaurant here first and then in the fall going to Hawaii. Even with how expensive Hawaii is just for travel, when all is said and done, the wedding here will still have cost more.

You definitely can find cheap options for destination weddings.. you should reach out to an agent. I used https://www.destinationweddings.com/ for our vow renewal. They have been great and offer you many options.

• Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Is it cheaper? Yes and no. Right now, in my budget, we're paying $6500 for travel, but that includes an extra week for a honeymoon, about $7500 for the wedding itself on the resort, including excursions. But I opted for a buffet dinner instead of free one in one of the restaurants, so that's adding about $3k. Then I've got another $6k - $8k for everything else (dress, decor I'm bringing, favors, etc.).

ETA: the $6500 for travel is less the two gratuities we're getting, so total travel costs would have been closer to $9k.

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sept 19 2020. We have been planning over a year already and trying to schedule meetings when we are in Ontario. My fiance is from Whitby-- we go back about twice a year
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depending on the hotel, a lot of them have free wedding packages if you have a certain amount of people. That might be something to consider. My main advice: Don't be afraid to ask for extras! A lot of hotels will give you extra perks but only if you ask for them!

Ours will end up being much cheaper compared to having it local, in the long run, and gives everyone a well deserved vacation that they may not have take without an event to attend to!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will definetly look into a travel agent .. we are sort of weighing the pros and cons of a destination wedding compared to having it in toronto ...so I was under the pretence that its cheaper but I'm learning not really.

thanks and congrats to you as well!!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing!!! whens the wedding?

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing!!! when is your wedding...we are in the beginning stages and im feeling a little overwhelmed

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're in a similar situation - small destination wedding within Canada. We're form Winnipeg but are having the wedding in Canmore, Alberta. So excited!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have 30 people coming in total, including the bridal party.

I would say the first step is to find a travel agent. They have great advice on locations and the overall planning process. We are using Red Tag Vacations and my girl has been AMAZING. She has for sure gone above and beyond with the whole process.

Good luck and congratulations!

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a destination wedding, but within Canada.

We live in Saskatchewan and our wedding will be in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have no idea we are in the beginning stages of the planning so we are looking at locations. how big ..or small is your party?

• Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Punta Cana, Dominican Republic at the Majestic Colonial. The very first thing I did after getting engaged (and telling close family) was to start searching for a destination planner/ travel agent. Found a great one here in Ottawa. She's the one who contacts the airlines and the resort, got group rates, is the go-to for the resort, speaks Spanish (which is a major advantage) so will do all the translation of our documents. I'm still over a year out, but so far she's been amazingly helpful.
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cozumel, MX at the Occidental Grande Hotel Smiley love

Where are you considering doing yours? Do you have any ideas yet?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics