Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Faye
Newbie February 2020 Ontario

Decorator

Faye, on March 28, 2019 at 16:38 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20

Do most people hire a decorator for their wedding? I asked our venue if they put a pleated skirt or something different on our head table and they said no. I wanted the head table to stand out but I'm not really sure what to do to make that happen.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on June 20, 2019 at 23:20
  • Sara
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi,
    i got help from Epic Events. I am renting items from Bespoke and I think they design events as well.
    Hope that helps!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on the venue and set up basis of linens provided, they may do it for you or charge you. If you need to pay for the venue set up charge, it may be worth it on their price.

Decorators do charge based on length, fabric type and material availability. Any other set ups/break downs should be inquired and pricing if they have to get the items for you or provided by you.

I did go with one in the beginning and thought it was great and then looked twice and modified what needed to be done and the price was ridiculous and eventually cancelled them.

• Jessica
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi!

Can I ask who you hired? I am struggling so much!
    Thanks
    Jess
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Faye!

Usually the venue will only provide the minimum whites. If you want something different, you'll want to hire a decorator to make that happen. The one thing we liked about that option was that they also have different fabrics and styles/colors to match your theme. If that's not an option, you could always add a garland of greenery to make the head table stand out!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We hired someone to do our florals and backdrop. There was no way we could have done it ourselves, and I'm really happy that we went in the direction that we did.

You should contact some décor companies and see what they could do. Is your head table the only thing you need decorated on your wedding day or will there be more?

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are opting for a floral and decor designer simply because I realized what we want for our wedding is just not DIY-able for us! It may be possible if you have the skills but since neither me nor my FH do, we’ve decided a professional would be worth the hire.
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We hired a decorator because we wanted the venue to be decorated properly and have the head table decorated with a floor to ceiling, wall to wall backdrop. We definitely don’t think we could do that ourselves
  • Mimi
    Curious October 2020 Alberta
    Mimi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont plan on hiring a decorator as I rather spend the money on a videographer. On budgeting, I decided to splurge on photo and video... the rest will be as cheap as I can go. Basically DIY-ing everything. I just made a Pinterest board off the concept I want and go with that. It depends on where you plan on splurging your budget.. if decor is your priority, maybe hire one or hire the 2hour consultation one that someone suggested on here. It really depends on how you vision your day.
  • Sara
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a difficult time with decorations as well. I got in touch with a wedding planner that offers 2 hour consultations. We met at the venue and I told her some of our ideas and we walked through the space. A few days later she emailed me a summary of our meeting along with a rough sketch of the space and where we talked about putting things (which wall the bar would go on, eating area, games....) plus she included a link to every decor item we discussed. She kept it within my tiny budget as well! Completely worth the $200!

It was soooo helpful that I ended up hiring her as a "Day of Coordinator" so I don't have to stress about anything or ask too much of my friends.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not hire a decorator either. I am going the DIY route for most things. There are many things you can do to make the head table stand out, a table runner or making your own table skirt. Check out pinterest for ideas.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't need a lot of decorations so we decided that a decorator wouldn't be worth it. Our head table is going to have some fairy lights on the front and it will be the only long rectangular table so it will stand out quite well. You can for sure DIY with a table cloth for the table to make it look pleated or to add some tulle or anything else to it.

We are also putting the Mr & Mrs signs on the table in front of us with a lantern on either side, the lanterns are our centerpieces so we wanted to include that as well.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided not to hire a decorator as we wanted to put the money into other things..plus our Venue has a coordinator that will do some set up for us. I love DIY (and Etsy and Amazon are amazing) so we decided to go that route instead

We have a wooden gold LOVE thing we are putting in the middle of the head table, and I asked my florist to put greenery along the head table only (to make it stand out...and greenery is relatively cheap!) Instead of the centerpiece flowers, I am using the bridal/bridesmaids bouquets as the head table flowers

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can hire a decorator... but I find they are pricey when you can go the DIY route for much less!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can hire a decorator. I bought most or rented my decorations. We will be setting it all up the day prior to the wedding.

• D
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Denyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on where you want to put your money .. We decided not to hire a decorator they can get really expensive.. We decided to put more money towards the food and entertainment for our guest..

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing MR & MRS letters, we also DIY’ed mason jars lined with tissue paper on the inside and a bunch of roses with twinkle lights inside them.
  • Faye
    Newbie February 2020 Ontario
    Faye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's my opinion because they seem so expensive. I really like the MR & MRS signs that you can buy
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No decorator here! It will look the same as the other tables except for the fact that it's a rectangle and has a bride and groom at it! Plus of course we are separated from the other tables by the dance floor.
    I would say to maybe add a runner for it and maybe signs that say MRS & MR? Imo I don't think a decorator is worth it
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know for banquet halls most people skip the headache of trying to do it on their own and just hire a decorator. We're lucky, our florist is also our decorator (and day-of coordinator as well).

• V
    Newbie September 2019 British Columbia
    Vienna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired a decorator and the head table will have a special table linen and also lots of flowers to make it stand out.

I think most people will put more flowers / candles on head table Smiley smile you can either DIY or hire someone to do it, I would say it's mostly to do with your budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics