Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missa
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Davids Bridal Bankruptcy?

Missa, on November 17, 2018 at 09:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
I keep seeing in the news that Davids Bridal will file for bankcrupty and keep their stores open. For the brides that thought about buying their wedding dress/ Bridesmaid dresses there, do you still feel comfortable doing so or will you look for an alternate store ?

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/11/14/davids-bridal-expected-to-file-for-bankruptcy-keep-stores-open-report-says

25 Comments

Latest activity by Dionne, on December 31, 2018 at 16:59
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally planned to get my bridesmaid dresses at David's but decided not to after hearing about the bankruptcy. Decided to get my bridesmaids dresses at Superior Bridal where I got my dress and my squad gets 15% off. The prices are better and styles comparable to David's. My squad is very happy
  • Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found a dress I fell in love with at David's bridal but we didn't buy the dress that day. (It's my moms dream to buy me my wedding dress and she couldn't be there). So she had the genius idea to go to the store and buy the sample dress. Have it cleaned and altered and that way I pay and walk out with my wedding dress in the same day and I don't have to worry about what happens after that. If any of you are interested in a davids bridal wedding dress I suggest you maybe do the same!

• Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was a really smart move on your part.
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the update and tips, Amie! Really helpful advice Smiley smile
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey ladies!

i have a bit of an update on DB. I spoke to the manager and operations manager today for hours on end. As I mentioned earlier, 3 of 5 of my BM ordered their dresses through DB. Surprisingly, one of them already had their dress delivered and it’s in their hands! It arrived in just over a month’s time.

The manager called the distribution Center to check the status on the other 2 dresses and put a rush on them. One is already in transit (2 weeks to arrive) and the second is scheduled to arrive in 3 weeks.

I had a decision to make on whether or not to order my last two dresses. After a talk with the manager, she verbally guaranteed the dress would be in my hands by the end of the year. She called the distribution Center and put a hold on the specific dress I wanted to order.

Before I placed the order, I called my cc company to confirm I would have protection on my card if I didn’t receive the dress. I do have the protection so I decided to place an order for the remaining dress.

Time will tell if this was the right choice but I’m covered on my cc so I figured it was worth a shot!

Id recommend calling your store and speaking to someone. They can call the distribution centre to get an ETA for you. I know it helped put my mind at ease. Also, check with your cc to see what sort of protection you have if an item you’ve purchased isn’t delivered.

i hope this is helpful to someone!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you accidentally quoted me Amie, all good though!

• Amie
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me too Peggy
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Crap...my bridesmaids literally bought their dresses last week.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No way I would chance it. Its super unfortunate but its the risk is greater than the reward.
  • Amie
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Geez. I did some research on the subject and noticed they are filing for a chapter 11 bankruptcy which can allow the debtor to propose a plan of reorganization to (hopefully) keep the business open and pay the creditors off slowly over time.
    So this is a bit different than when Alfred Angelo went under in 2017 by filing for bankruptcy under chapter 7 which by law requires assets to be liquidated.

Fingers crossed DB stays open and fulfills their orders.
  • Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would not chance that. And employees may not even know what's going on, so they could say with every ounce of honesty they're remaining open with a schedule as planned and be shut down in a few months.

When I was in highschool I worked for a business that filed bankruptcy. We were told that it was just a rumor, until we showed up one day to a locked door and an empty warehouse. Literally, everything was gone. If anyone here watches Clevver (it's a youtube channel) they're owned by Defy Media, who also just went bankrupt and was RESIGNING contracts days before it laid off everyone the same day it ceased operations. Employees on the ground level aren't always kept in the loop about what's going on.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If they went bankrupt they likely would be out the money. Going bankrupt means they don’t have enough money to pay all their creditors.
  • Amie
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, how did I miss this in the news? 4/6 of my bridesmaid have ordered their dresses from DB. They are supposed to be in in March. Fingers crossed there are NO issues or closures relating to the closing of DB. If they were to close, what would happen to the money my girls spent on their dresses?
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't order anymore, for wedding dresses, but you can buy off the rack too. Still worth looking for some deals in store.

I got all 3 bridesmaid dresses there, they gave a 3 month delivery window and I got them all in less than 1 month. 2 of the dresses were the last one of that size/colour EVER, so it makes me wonder if they are clearing out their warehouses? If they have what you need, I'd still be comfortable getting bridesmaid dresses, if you do it soonm
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now I remember. It was Alfred Angelo that went under and there were many brides left with no dress. Honestly I just wouldn’t risk ordering by dress from somewhere when you know they are already in trouble.

And no mater how they try and sugar coat. The store is in trouble. You don’t go into bankruptcy for no reason.
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah but I can’t think of one retailer that’s filed for bankruptcy and then remained open in the long term. So no matter what staff told me, if they file for bankruptcy I would be avoiding that place.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fully agree with this! I have been in a company that shut its doors in Canada... and I can tell you, you can honestly tell when a retail employee is lying to you hahah!! The girls today sounded very confident and reassuring in the company's issues and didnt shy away from the fact that there are tons or rumours and issues around!
    I know they're "suppose" to make things sound fine but they way they talked I truly felt like they were being truthful with me about the situation! Also I feel like everyone is freaking out about that one CBS article and it's good to research around and not base everything off what one news outlet says!
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To those saying they are being told it’s “business as usual” just remember you are being told that by the stores staff. They will have been told specifically what to tell people. And of course they are going to tell people everything is fine. They want to stay in business and they will be done for sure if everyone stops buying there. Store staff will not necessarily tell you what’s really going on. But they are clearly having financial difficulties and who knows what will be happening with them six months or a year from now.

I agree bridemaids dresses are not as big of a deal since it easier to get ones if something happens. But I wouldn’t be risking buying my wedding dress there. Not with how far out you buy a wedding dress. And not with how important it is. Bridal stores have gone under before and brides have not gotten dresses that they have put deposits down for.
  • Monica
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally agreed Stephanie!! Still got bridesmaids dresses there - so pretty and great prices!
  • Monica
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to David’s Bridal just this morning to shop for bridesmaids dresses. I too, was panicked when I heard about the bankruptcy.. but they reassured us that all is normal - business as usual and there was a recent press release from their CEO, also a video on their website. We bought our bridesmaids dresses today from them, as well as shoes - and just my luck, my wedding dress was actually ready to pick up today as well. So excited!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was actually there today and they briefly explained the situation to me but ensured business was as usual! And they strongly suggested checking out the formal press release about the issue on their website and to try and avoid news outlets. I am still getting my bridesmaids dresses there! Theres a dress there that hasnt been beat by anyone else and I have faith in them from everything I've heard and read! So I'm going for it!! Absolute worst case scenario if we have to rebut the bridesmaids dresses it's not as hard as getting me a new dress (I got mine elsewhere)
  • Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thankfully I already have my dress but I was going to use them for my alterations and veil. Not getting married until July 2019 so I have a bit of time to see what happens. Will definitely be looking into back up options just in case.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't have a david's bridal near me, so it wasn't an option for me. I did consider it for bridesmaid's dresses since they are all over the place but having the same style isn't important to me. I'm still deciding what I will be doing for wedding party attire, but I will probably avoid David's Bridal since their future isn't certain.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    David’s Bridal was never an option for me for a variety of reasons, one being that it’s a little far for me to get to. I’d honestly be scared to order from them now tbh. I feel like with a purchase this big (and important!), I wouldn’t risk it.
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I hadn’t bought the dresses yet I would go somewhere else. You never know what is going to happen. And to me it’s not worth the risk when there are other options.

If i had already ordered things I would be calling to see if I can get them as soon as possible. And possibly make a plan B that I would hopefully never have to use.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics